Jump to content Jump to content

Dotted lines in Race Strategy Program

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the dotted lines in the attached screen are? I initially thought they were averages but it doesn’t seem so. Maybe they’re target wear and lap times?

I ran this program with all tyre compounds.

Any assistance appreciated,

MonzieFD154EE2-AC1B-488B-BD8B-E84B44B87594.thumb.jpeg.01d44ef2b7ec1b43845cd0732731b28b.jpeg

Do you mean the red line with white dots on it? If so, that’s the laps you just run. 
if you mean the dashed line, that’s the expected tyre wear/lap time for the program. 
If you failed to hit the time on one lap, you’d see your red line spike above the dashed line. 

And looking at your tyre wear, you’re slightly higher than expected, so it will effect you race strategy- on the softs at least

Edited by dshepsman
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, dshepsman said:

And looking at your tyre wear, you’re slightly higher than expected, so it will effect you race strategy- on the softs at least

It's normal because that program is made to be run only on mediums so they calculate what the tyre wear is for softs and hards.

Edited by Tomasslb24
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @dshepsman and @Tomasslb24 - that makes sense now.

I guess I confused the picture for myself further by running the program with soft and hard tyre in addition to the mediums.

@Tomasslb24, Good to know the program is only meant to run on the mediums. Although, when I did run the program on mediums, I easily met the lap time target over the 5 laps, so not sure why the dashed line is lower than the yellow on the first two laps?

On the next race weekend I’ll run the program on the mediums, take a snap shot, and then run it again on another tyre to see if the dashed lines change.

6 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

No problem man. 

6 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

@Tomasslb24, Good to know the program is only meant to run on the mediums. Although, when I did run the program on mediums, I easily met the lap time target over the 5 laps, so not sure why the dashed line is lower than the yellow on the first two laps?

Im going to try to explain really fast that programme. (in my point of view)

That programme is used to make a "strategy" for the race using the medium tyre, cause thats the "balanced" tyre compared with the soft and the hard compound. And why? Softs wears to fast but are faster as the hards wear slowly but are the slowest on pace, the mediums are like the balanced ones (i think you understood my point).

As you run the programme (if you do the 5 laps the data is more accurate) they will fuel your car for the race depending on what your race length is(looking for your race fuel load i assume you are making 100% races).

For the main "characther" here, the dashed line is an expected wear/lap time for each lap you do, that's why there are white dots in the line that you made with the medium compound, because that's the tyre you should use, to compare with the expected wear and lap times.

If any questions just ask, i'll try to help!

Edited by Tomasslb24
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

@Tomasslb24 another question, does using drs/ overtake in the race strategy program effect the strategy suggestions? I.e. surely drs/ot have an effect on fuel/tyre rates.

I guess the other way of thinking about this is, in the race you may not always get drs, OT at full level so does it make sense to use it during race strategy program? 

Or am I thinking too much lol

Edited by Monzie83
2 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

@Tomasslb24 another question, does using drs/ overtake in the race strategy program effect the strategy suggestions? I.e. surely drs/ot have an effect on fuel/tyre rates.

I guess the other way of thinking about this is, in the race you may not always get drs, OT at full level so does it make sense to use it during race strategy program? 

I try to run the race program as close as possible to a race lap - no drs or ers... unless I’m not close to finishing the lap in the minimum time. 
I think it does effect fuel though, at least I thought so

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

Im not 100% sure, but i think fuel will affect the strategy as they calculate the amount of fuel used per lap, and then see (approximately) how much you'll need to use for all the race.(Just what I think).

For ers and drs i think it does not affect really.  

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Monzie83 said:

ONLY Tyre Wear and Fuel usage per lap counts for the Racing Strategies Programs mate

• Thanks 1
On 11/28/2020 at 5:43 AM, dshepsman said:

Do you mean the red line with white dots on it? If so, that’s the laps you just run. 
if you mean the dashed line, that’s the expected tyre wear/lap time for the program. 
If you failed to hit the time on one lap, you’d see your red line spike above the dashed line. 

I believe being above the line means you’re using the tyres less than average.

• Like 1
On 11/28/2020 at 9:03 AM, Tomasslb24 said:

It's normal because that program is made to be run only on mediums so they calculate what the tyre wear is for softs and hards.

It changes the times and wear predictions when you use a different compound.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Y2Kev said:

I believe being above the line means you’re using the tyres less than average.

Yes, I find that this is the case as well. I’m able to extend well beyond the pit window, sometimes as much

as 4 or 5 laps, and I often get Jeff coming over the radio wanting to change the strategy by a lap or two.

Definitely agree with Y2Kev, you want to be above the line, not below it.

• Thanks 2
  • Agree 1
On 11/28/2020 at 12:52 PM, Monzie83 said:

I guess I confused the picture for myself further by running the program with soft and hard tyre in addition to the mediums.

On the next race weekend I’ll run the program on the mediums, take a snap shot, and then run it again on another tyre to see if the dashed lines change.

The times do change dependent on the tyre compound you use. If you hit the R3 button for PS4 ( not sure for other consoles ) it will change the target wear and lap times you were given for each tyre compound. I have a lap target set for one of my secondary sponsors and one of the ways I make up the laps is to run that program on each compound, including inters / wets if I’m able to.

In your images I believe it looks as though it is measuring the soft tyre only, which is why the other compounds are above the target lap times. As I say, pressing the right stick changes that information to the next compound on PS4.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Y2Kev said:

The times do change dependent on the tyre compound you use. If you hit the R3 button for PS4 ( not sure for other consoles ) it will change the target wear and lap times you were given for each tyre compound. I have a lap target set for one of my secondary sponsors and one of the ways I make up the laps is to run that program on each compound, including inters / wets if I’m able to.

In your images I believe it looks as though it is measuring the soft tyre only, which is why the other compounds are above the target lap times. As I say, pressing the right stick changes that information to the next compound on PS4.

Good luck!

Just a visual illustration of what I meant. As you can see the first image measures the hard tyres, the second image is the medium tyres and the third image is the soft tyres. The expected tyre wear and times are different depending on which compound you use. This should help more than me just explaining it. Also, as you can see at the bottom of the image it says toggle compound beside the R3 button image. Does the game on your console not have something similar?

4C238D30-24C6-4251-9A43-D8EEBCF9F5F2.jpeg

29A17AB1-2646-43CC-8083-757C66CC1DC2.jpeg

1D977F7F-DAB0-4C81-A8E3-A018AFA751FF.jpeg

• Like 1