DIRT 5 High frame rate mode picture issue

Anyone else having this problem? In high frame rate mode, DIRT 5 becomes very dark and saturated on PS5. Turning off HDR in the system menu helps slightly but still a disappointing picture. Prioritize res/image quality modes are fine. Using Samsung q80t. Just wondered if anyone else had encountered this and if so what the solution might be. Thanks.

En3a9h5XMAIrxy1.jpg

I have the same issue! I'm on a Samsung QLED 8K Q900RB Model - my TV supports HDMI 2.1 on Port 4. And its extremely saturated and dark as you mentioned. NOTE*** THIS IS ONLY ON HIGH FRAME RATE MODE - Other modes look really good, but I want to play at 120Fps! - I don't own Black Ops Cold War to test 120fps on that game, but I'm extremely bummed at this limitation (at the moment hopefully) on Dirt 5 on QLED! PLEASE FIX IT. Whether its on Samsung or Codemaster side...

16066084336872339183801566371818.jpg

Can you contact me to further talk about this matter? @Rm144 I wanna see if we can solve it together, my twitter is @ClassyGPU if you wanna contact me!

Signed up on this forum just for this issue. I posted about this issue on rtings & avsforums discussions on the Samsung Q900RB tv (my tv).

I am having the exact same issue that you described. I've tried an unlimited number of combination of settings between my Q900RB and my PS5 video settings, tried 2 different 8K cables, tried different HDMI ports.

It works pretty regularly on my OneConnect box's HDMI port 3 (eARC), at 1080p 120Hz HDR. (Tried port 2, and it works as well.)

Port 4, which as ClassyGPU mentioned, is supposed to be the designated HDMI 2.1 port on these TV's, has been extremely problematic. Somehow, last night after testing for about 30 minutes, high framerate mode started working on port 4, just out of the blue -- go figure. But even then it's been shaky. (Closing the game resulted in my TV not returning back to the PS5 system menu, instead going to the Samsung 'no video source' screen; I had to "blindly" navigate to the PS5 reboot/power off option.) Dirt 5 has been working in high framerate mode on port 4, for now. But even then, it is 1080p 120Hz *non*-HDR ...

Yes, Codemasters and/or Samsung, PLEASE FIX.

Edited by willpeterson20
edit

@Rm144  @willpeterson20 Ive found the fix with the help of a YouTube comment - Turn off HDR from the PS5 Settings & Boom! Instant Fix. Still at 4k & 120fps but NO HDR. I don't know whose fault this is, samsung or dirt 5. But we need a fix soon, hope this helps Will Peterson & RM 144! 

• Thanks 1

Thank you Classy -- great find! And thanks for the video. I agree, turning off HDR is only a temporary fix and Codemasters/Samsung need to fix this. Sure, flipping a setting on & off every time you play a game isn't the hardest thing to do, it's largely an inconvenience. But this isn't what we are paying thousands of dollars for a high-end TV, $500 for a PS5, and $60-70 per game for ... 

Edited by willpeterson20
edit
  • Agree 1

We pay thousands for a premium experience and It sucks we have to deal with it. It is an inconvenience, feels like I'm a beta tester. Also, I have screen tearing as you mentioned! To what did you lower it to avoid this?

2 hours ago, ClassyGPU said:

We pay thousands for a premium experience and It sucks we have to deal with it. It is an inconvenience, feels like I'm a beta tester. Also, I have screen tearing as you mentioned! To what did you lower it to avoid this?

Setting the 4K transfer rate to -2 fixed this for me. (-1 turns off HDR.) I can't see a difference in color or picture quality.

I've been having the exact same issue running on the Samsung Q80t. Thought it was a faulty TV or console so im glad its not just me. Thanks for the work around but this does need fixing.

• Agree 1

I have the Samsung Q80T with the same issue for ps5. I emailed the codemasters team a week ago regarding this and they are aware of it fso I'm sure something will be sorted soon. Just for your information I believe it's the latest 1.0.3 update because I played the game in its standard version when I got the PS5 in high frame rate mode and it didn't have an issue then. So the update somewhat has something to do with it. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 2

On 12/18/2020 at 7:11 PM, KevinMcbevan said:

Seems to fixed in todays patch 2.001 🙂 Thanks Codys now for that fanatec wheel support 🙂

Yea, Dirt5 vers. 2.001.000 on PS5, not fixed for me.

Edited by willpeterson20
  • Agree 1

This issue has gone "mainstream" ... Here is a Forbes article:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2021/12/29/sony-ps5s-best-graphics-mode-hit-by-bug-with-premium-samsung-tvs/?sh=4c437ca875b7

What’s more, the frequencies (HDR) section of the PS5 Video Output Information screen still clearly states that you should be able to enjoy 120Hz in HDR. But it just doesn’t appear to work on these Samsung TVs.

With Dirt 5, another PS5 game that supports 120Hz and HDR, the situation is even weirder. This game uses its own internal performance switching/HDR calibration system, rather than depending on the ‘external’, console-instigated Performance/Resolution mode deployed by Cold War. All looks fine initially, with 4K and HDR shown to be in play on the Samsung input info display. As soon as you choose Dirt 5’s High Frame Rate Mode option, though, the HDR logo disappears from the TV’s info box, and the picture goes completely wrong. Blacks become massively crushed, bright peaks completely bleach out, and color refinement is massively compromised.

The only way to get this mode to deliver a correct-looking image is to turn HDR output off on the PS5.

In other words, what seems to be happening is that Dirt 5 is still using HDR ‘values’ for its graphics output when you switch to High Frame Rate Mode, but the Samsung screen is no longer functioning in HDR mode because the console is no longer outputting HDR. It’s a mess, honestly.

Edited by willpeterson20

I own a Samsung q90t with a certified HDMI 2.1 cable. I have a PlayStation 5. I have the dirt 5 Amplified digital edition. when I try to change the video options in dirt 5 to high frame rate mode for 120 FPS the cars look very dark with a metallic look and you can't see them in the game. The only workaround for this is in the PlayStation 5 settings I changed the output manually to 1080p. I then restarted dirt five and enabled high frame rate mode. Only then in my Samsung q90t video output information does it show 3840x2160 at 120 frames per second in ultra high definition. There is no HDR high dynamic range icon meaning it's not running in that mode.

1. Is it possible to run dirt five at 120 frames per second in 4k and HDR and if so what are the proper settings on the PlayStation 5 as well as the dirt 5?

2. Why do you think the television is showing 4K 120 frames per second with no HDR when the PlayStation is set to max out at 1080p?

3. What are the differences in dirt five between high frame rate mode, prioritize resolution and prioritize image quality?

a. Is HDR available in all three modes

b. For each of the three modes what is the resolution, frame rate and ability to incorporate HDR simultaneously?

I'm not surprised that anyone at samsung, Sony or code Masters took the time to properly explain the interplay between these modes. It is very alarming since the Samsung q90t is along with Sony and LG the flagship model with every available feature there is as of today.

I think all of you in advance for looking at this, thinking about it and letting me know a solution. I suffer from PTSD and serious rib injuries and have a service dog. Playing video games allows me to escape the reality of a sometimes bad situation and when I am confronted with issues like this I tend to become hypervigilant and that's why I reached out for help.