Sign in to follow this  

Anyone doubting the Halo now?

Watching Grosjean's crash in Bahrain...wow. The way the car went through the barrier and broke in half then burst into flames is shocking to watch... What strikes me is the strength of the driver safety cell, in that the car seems to have broken in half directly behind the cell, but also that he would be very dead without the Halo as the front of the car buried itself inside the barrier. The hole between the barrier panels looks just big enough to fit the front of the car plus Halo through, without it...frankly I think he would've been decapitated...instead he merely has some minor burns on his hands and feet and some sore ribs...wow

Big thumbs up to F1 for driving safety improvements over the years despite some criticism from certain areas. We must never go back to the open cockpit design...not ever. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

just watched the highlights from the race again, that looked freaking scary, I cannot remember when I saw a car damaged like this before since I watch F1 (1994) - broken in 2 pieces plus light up in fire....damn, great that Roman sent already a message from the hospital on instagram.

• Agree 1

I think the halo debate can now be put to bed. Clear that it saved his life yesterday. Grosjean himself said he was a doubter. 

• Agree 3

I'm amazed that he didn't pass out. The G-forces his body took from that deceleration would make most people unconscious.

• Agree 1

On 12/2/2020 at 1:30 PM, Lakrits said:

I'm amazed that he didn't pass out. The G-forces his body took from that deceleration would make most people unconscious.

Retaining consciousness was also likely thanks in part to another major safety element, the HANS device, which would have absorbed some of the deceleration force and reduced any whiplash effect. And a good job too -- the fire was still well ablaze when he extricated himself, so he may not have survived if he'd had to wait on anyone being able to pull him out.

Edited by scottishwildcat