Jump to content
DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
How to contact Customer Service Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Direct drive vs belt/gear wheels and player satisfaction in Dirt Rally 2.0?

Recommended Posts

while you about mike giz you sprint pedals so i can go smash some world records on Automoblista 2 :classic_laugh:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

And to this point, it's why most of the drivers in the World Championship have been using less than 360° DoR on their wheels. For Dirt if you want WRs and the absolute fastest times you want immediate responses and super tight turn radius moreso than any amount of higher quality FFB

That's partly why I seem to do well with an f1 wheel. I like the quick throw from left to right for all those rapid corrections. 

  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

doesnt change that they are more mechanical in use which = slower in dirt games.

Actually it directly does as the motor is assisting you in changing direction, but you can keep arguing something that isn't true if you'd like.

 

14 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

And to this point, it's why most of the drivers in the World Championship have been using less than 360° DoR on their wheels. For Dirt if you want WRs and the absolute fastest times you want immediate responses and super tight turn radius moreso than any amount of higher quality FFB - which doesn't require anything fancy to achieve.

 

Now if you just want the best driving experience in games, the better stuff definitely has a lot of perks for the price.

This too. The "mechanical" (Because gears aren't mechanical now I guess) wheels can be turned to low DOR and FFB. That is if you're a silly man baby playing sims but have to play it in an expressly unrealistic way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

That is if you're a silly man baby playing sims but have to play it in an expressly unrealistic way.

I demand somebody whack your head with a shovel every time you crash.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Actually it directly does as the motor is assisting you in changing direction, but you can keep arguing something that isn't true if you'd like.

 

This too. The "mechanical" (Because gears aren't mechanical now I guess) wheels can be turned to low DOR and FFB. That is if you're a silly man baby playing sims but have to play it in an expressly unrealistic way.

i was sponsered by fanatec could have any gear i wanted for free. i could of kept it gave it em back for nothing. its over engineered thick aluminium gear promoted by mainly people who are **** at racing rally games and youtubers who try and get avg joe to buy. the reality is 99 percent of people will be far slower on the gear than a logitech wheel. you dont have to agree with me and as said i was sponsered by them. so i know there products.

i have also said that dirt itself lends itself to less sim like wheels because of how it plays. so all the criteria is real and experienced. so what you dont understand i dont know. the reason i say this is so people who often cant afford high end sim rigs dont feel influenced by youtubers or people given the gear for free or at a reduced rate. then spend thousands only to realize they slower.

i have no tie ins. i could have i can do the world records. so hopefully it helps. its not bs. save your money just buy a logitech g29 for dirt games.

 

whats even more funnier is jz used to ask for our footage to make his videos. yet disputes our techniques and wheel choices.

Edited by dgeesi0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have an ancient Logitech G25 wheel and peripherals. Do you think that would be okay for modern games like Dirt Rally 2.0? It hasn't been used in about 6-8+ years and had very little use since new. It has just been sitting around collecting dust since then. I didn't think it would be any good for newer games and I have no idea if it still works. I bought it to play GT5 but really didn't use it after that. My PC is too old to run Dirt Rally 2.0 or anything else modern, so that's part of the reason I haven't used it in so long. First, I have to build and new PC but have been waiting because of poor availability, price hikes and scalpers.

Edited by FlatOverCrest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, FlatOverCrest said:

I have an ancient Logitech G25 wheel and peripherals. Do you think that would be okay for modern games like Dirt Rally 2.0? It hasn't been used in about 6-8+ years and had very little use since new. It has just been sitting around collecting dust since then. I didn't think it would be any good for newer games and I have no idea if it still works. I bought it to play GT5 but really didn't use it after that. My PC is too old to run Dirt Rally 2.0 or anything else modern, so that's part of the reason I haven't used it in so long. First, I have to build and new PC but have been waiting because of poor availability, price hikes and scalpers.

tbh if the game allows it to work it will be fine. just have to try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ehhh, I doubt Micky or the like would be slower on a properly set up Fanatec 2.5 CSW.  As long as they get used to it.  True that the wheel has more weight, but at those low DOR and with the proper drift mode setting it doesn't matter.  But sure, it won't make them faster in DR.  

 

Edit: When I try I am floating around ~P6-8 versus the very fastest boys; and I am quite sure it's not because I use a Fanatec, I can see my mistakes, and I use a higher DOR.

Edited by bn880
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I demand somebody whack your head with a shovel every time you crash.

Do they race with shovels?

8 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

whats even more funnier is jz used to ask for our footage to make his videos. yet disputes our techniques and wheel choices.

Well, there's a few reasons for that.

  1. I bought my wheel right as DR and PCars 1 came out. At the time I had very little experience with wheels at all. As such my setup was all kinds of screwy trying to figure out the mess that "sim racing" FFB is.
  2. Also at the time, I didn't even have a car yet. Might've had a license, but no driving experience and no drivers ed. My first day of going to a new job also marked my first day driving. Buying the wheel was intended to be practice for driving. I quickly learned sim racing is a super ****** alternative for driving practice, particularly the clutch.
  3. I asked for footage from Wales. I don't like Wales, I like Greece and I do okay at Greece.
  4. I wanted it to be a joint community thing, but no one gave a **** about it anyways.

Aside from that, I don't do the cheap stuff like use 180-270 DOR and no FFB. I like a realistic feel since I'm playing for fun and a relatively accurate representation of actual driving. I use 900 and what feels natural to me in the wheel. I also played DR1 way less than you guys because I didn't like the other stages outside Greece and got super bored very quickly. I played DR2 even less because the FFB is somehow worse and apparently I'm the only one that has issues with throttle control not present in any other games. I have footage if I haven't deleted it.

 

At the end of the day, I'm not telling anyone to buy anything. I'm just saying your claim is false.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what you mean is you have a different opinion. which is fine. i dont dispute how you feel. the only reason i debated your opinion is because you keep saying my claim is false. its not false its just not inline with your opinion. also you say you didnt play dirt rally 1 much and dirt rally 2.0 even less. so what can you or we even gather from your limited experience ?

the game plays better at lower DOR because of the physics of dirt rally. its that simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

what you mean is you have a different opinion. which is fine. i dont dispute how you feel. the only reason i debated your opinion is because you keep saying my claim is false. its not false its just not inline with your opinion. also you say you didnt play dirt rally 1 much and dirt rally 2.0 even less. so what can you or we even gather from your limited experience ?

the game plays better at lower DOR because of the physics of dirt rally. its that simple.

I keep saying it's false because it's false. The wheel can and will turn just as fast as my arms can physically move holding nothing but a dinner plate. If I turn the drift mode up it will literally spin faster than I can keep up with, bounce off one opposite lock, spin all the way across the range, and bounce off the other. You can very much argue that having no FFB will make you faster, and I'd probably agree. Not for me, because I hate it, but for people who are used to it, yes. I'm disagreeing with you saying the Logi wheel turns faster. That particular statement makes no sense.

Just because I have limited play time in DR doesn't mean I haven't used the wheel with 20 or so other games across genres and platforms.

Maybe. Again, I personally don't like that and it feels extremely unrealistic even with the goofy physics. DR1 actually plays much better with a controller. Also "plays better" is subjective. I'm positive it's faster once you get used to it, but for me that doesn't make it "play better." I think it's much more fun to properly rip the handbrake and do a sick hairpin slide with 540-900 depending on the car. But I guess that's me. I go for fun, not hot laps and world records.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I keep saying it's false because it's false. The wheel can and will turn just as fast as my arms can physically move holding nothing but a dinner plate. If I turn the drift mode up it will literally spin faster than I can keep up with, bounce off one opposite lock, spin all the way across the range, and bounce off the other. You can very much argue that having no FFB will make you faster, and I'd probably agree. Not for me, because I hate it, but for people who are used to it, yes. I'm disagreeing with you saying the Logi wheel turns faster. That particular statement makes no sense.

Just because I have limited play time in DR doesn't mean I haven't used the wheel with 20 or so other games across genres and platforms.

Maybe. Again, I personally don't like that and it feels extremely unrealistic even with the goofy physics. DR1 actually plays much better with a controller. Also "plays better" is subjective. I'm positive it's faster once you get used to it, but for me that doesn't make it "play better." I think it's much more fun to properly rip the handbrake and do a sick hairpin slide with 540-900 depending on the car. But I guess that's me. I go for fun, not hot laps and world records.

Again, both a cheap wheel or an expensive has its advantages.

With my old dfgt, switching off ffb and only 200 degrees of rotation I could go fast.

With my new wheel (ts-pc) I 'feel' more of what is going on and improved my setups.

Said that, with a good wheel and good ffb I don't want to go back to my cheap wheel, same as when used to VR I don't want to go back to a screen. Both not for the speed but for the experience.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×