Jump to content Jump to content

Direct drive vs belt/gear wheels and player satisfaction in Dirt Rally 2.0?

• Social Media & Community Team
12 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

And to this point, it's why most of the drivers in the World Championship have been using less than 360° DoR on their wheels. For Dirt if you want WRs and the absolute fastest times you want immediate responses and super tight turn radius moreso than any amount of higher quality FFB

That's partly why I seem to do well with an f1 wheel. I like the quick throw from left to right for all those rapid corrections. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
15 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

doesnt change that they are more mechanical in use which = slower in dirt games.

Actually it directly does as the motor is assisting you in changing direction, but you can keep arguing something that isn't true if you'd like.

14 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

And to this point, it's why most of the drivers in the World Championship have been using less than 360° DoR on their wheels. For Dirt if you want WRs and the absolute fastest times you want immediate responses and super tight turn radius moreso than any amount of higher quality FFB - which doesn't require anything fancy to achieve.

Now if you just want the best driving experience in games, the better stuff definitely has a lot of perks for the price.

This too. The "mechanical" (Because gears aren't mechanical now I guess) wheels can be turned to low DOR and FFB. That is if you're a silly man baby playing sims but have to play it in an expressly unrealistic way.

• Social Media & Community Team
40 minutes ago, JZStudios said:

That is if you're a silly man baby playing sims but have to play it in an expressly unrealistic way.

I demand somebody whack your head with a shovel every time you crash.

• Haha 5
2 hours ago, JZStudios said:

Actually it directly does as the motor is assisting you in changing direction, but you can keep arguing something that isn't true if you'd like.

This too. The "mechanical" (Because gears aren't mechanical now I guess) wheels can be turned to low DOR and FFB. That is if you're a silly man baby playing sims but have to play it in an expressly unrealistic way.

i was sponsered by fanatec could have any gear i wanted for free. i could of kept it gave it em back for nothing. its over engineered thick aluminium gear promoted by mainly people who are **** at racing rally games and youtubers who try and get avg joe to buy. the reality is 99 percent of people will be far slower on the gear than a logitech wheel. you dont have to agree with me and as said i was sponsered by them. so i know there products.

i have also said that dirt itself lends itself to less sim like wheels because of how it plays. so all the criteria is real and experienced. so what you dont understand i dont know. the reason i say this is so people who often cant afford high end sim rigs dont feel influenced by youtubers or people given the gear for free or at a reduced rate. then spend thousands only to realize they slower.

i have no tie ins. i could have i can do the world records. so hopefully it helps. its not bs. save your money just buy a logitech g29 for dirt games.

whats even more funnier is jz used to ask for our footage to make his videos. yet disputes our techniques and wheel choices.

Edited by dgeesi0
Posted (edited)

I have an ancient Logitech G25 wheel and peripherals. Do you think that would be okay for modern games like Dirt Rally 2.0? It hasn't been used in about 6-8+ years and had very little use since new. It has just been sitting around collecting dust since then. I didn't think it would be any good for newer games and I have no idea if it still works. I bought it to play GT5 but really didn't use it after that. My PC is too old to run Dirt Rally 2.0 or anything else modern, so that's part of the reason I haven't used it in so long. First, I have to build and new PC but have been waiting because of poor availability, price hikes and scalpers.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
45 minutes ago, FlatOverCrest said:

I have an ancient Logitech G25 wheel and peripherals. Do you think that would be okay for modern games like Dirt Rally 2.0? It hasn't been used in about 6-8+ years and had very little use since new. It has just been sitting around collecting dust since then. I didn't think it would be any good for newer games and I have no idea if it still works. I bought it to play GT5 but really didn't use it after that. My PC is too old to run Dirt Rally 2.0 or anything else modern, so that's part of the reason I haven't used it in so long. First, I have to build and new PC but have been waiting because of poor availability, price hikes and scalpers.

tbh if the game allows it to work it will be fine. just have to try it.

Ehhh, I doubt Micky or the like would be slower on a properly set up Fanatec 2.5 CSW.  As long as they get used to it.  True that the wheel has more weight, but at those low DOR and with the proper drift mode setting it doesn't matter.  But sure, it won't make them faster in DR.  

Edit: When I try I am floating around ~P6-8 versus the very fastest boys; and I am quite sure it's not because I use a Fanatec, I can see my mistakes, and I use a higher DOR.

Edited by bn880
  • Agree 1
10 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I demand somebody whack your head with a shovel every time you crash.

Do they race with shovels?

8 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

whats even more funnier is jz used to ask for our footage to make his videos. yet disputes our techniques and wheel choices.

Well, there's a few reasons for that.

1. I bought my wheel right as DR and PCars 1 came out. At the time I had very little experience with wheels at all. As such my setup was all kinds of screwy trying to figure out the mess that "sim racing" FFB is.
  2. Also at the time, I didn't even have a car yet. Might've had a license, but no driving experience and no drivers ed. My first day of going to a new job also marked my first day driving. Buying the wheel was intended to be practice for driving. I quickly learned sim racing is a super ****** alternative for driving practice, particularly the clutch.
  3. I asked for footage from Wales. I don't like Wales, I like Greece and I do okay at Greece.
  4. I wanted it to be a joint community thing, but no one gave a **** about it anyways.

Aside from that, I don't do the cheap stuff like use 180-270 DOR and no FFB. I like a realistic feel since I'm playing for fun and a relatively accurate representation of actual driving. I use 900 and what feels natural to me in the wheel. I also played DR1 way less than you guys because I didn't like the other stages outside Greece and got super bored very quickly. I played DR2 even less because the FFB is somehow worse and apparently I'm the only one that has issues with throttle control not present in any other games. I have footage if I haven't deleted it.

At the end of the day, I'm not telling anyone to buy anything. I'm just saying your claim is false.

what you mean is you have a different opinion. which is fine. i dont dispute how you feel. the only reason i debated your opinion is because you keep saying my claim is false. its not false its just not inline with your opinion. also you say you didnt play dirt rally 1 much and dirt rally 2.0 even less. so what can you or we even gather from your limited experience ?

the game plays better at lower DOR because of the physics of dirt rally. its that simple.

5 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

what you mean is you have a different opinion. which is fine. i dont dispute how you feel. the only reason i debated your opinion is because you keep saying my claim is false. its not false its just not inline with your opinion. also you say you didnt play dirt rally 1 much and dirt rally 2.0 even less. so what can you or we even gather from your limited experience ?

the game plays better at lower DOR because of the physics of dirt rally. its that simple.

I keep saying it's false because it's false. The wheel can and will turn just as fast as my arms can physically move holding nothing but a dinner plate. If I turn the drift mode up it will literally spin faster than I can keep up with, bounce off one opposite lock, spin all the way across the range, and bounce off the other. You can very much argue that having no FFB will make you faster, and I'd probably agree. Not for me, because I hate it, but for people who are used to it, yes. I'm disagreeing with you saying the Logi wheel turns faster. That particular statement makes no sense.

Just because I have limited play time in DR doesn't mean I haven't used the wheel with 20 or so other games across genres and platforms.

Maybe. Again, I personally don't like that and it feels extremely unrealistic even with the goofy physics. DR1 actually plays much better with a controller. Also "plays better" is subjective. I'm positive it's faster once you get used to it, but for me that doesn't make it "play better." I think it's much more fun to properly rip the handbrake and do a sick hairpin slide with 540-900 depending on the car. But I guess that's me. I go for fun, not hot laps and world records.

23 hours ago, JZStudios said:

I keep saying it's false because it's false. The wheel can and will turn just as fast as my arms can physically move holding nothing but a dinner plate. If I turn the drift mode up it will literally spin faster than I can keep up with, bounce off one opposite lock, spin all the way across the range, and bounce off the other. You can very much argue that having no FFB will make you faster, and I'd probably agree. Not for me, because I hate it, but for people who are used to it, yes. I'm disagreeing with you saying the Logi wheel turns faster. That particular statement makes no sense.

Just because I have limited play time in DR doesn't mean I haven't used the wheel with 20 or so other games across genres and platforms.

Maybe. Again, I personally don't like that and it feels extremely unrealistic even with the goofy physics. DR1 actually plays much better with a controller. Also "plays better" is subjective. I'm positive it's faster once you get used to it, but for me that doesn't make it "play better." I think it's much more fun to properly rip the handbrake and do a sick hairpin slide with 540-900 depending on the car. But I guess that's me. I go for fun, not hot laps and world records.

Again, both a cheap wheel or an expensive has its advantages.

With my old dfgt, switching off ffb and only 200 degrees of rotation I could go fast.

With my new wheel (ts-pc) I 'feel' more of what is going on and improved my setups.

Said that, with a good wheel and good ffb I don't want to go back to my cheap wheel, same as when used to VR I don't want to go back to a screen. Both not for the speed but for the experience.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • 1 month later...

I know this thread is relatively old, but I just wanted to put my point of view across, as someone who is a total noob at sim racing and rally. I currently play on an Xbox Series X. At some stage, I will upgrade to a PC.

I originally started out with a G920 and was just playing arcade-style racing games. Then after playing Dirt 4, the bug hit me. It was time to look at other racing sims that were more realistic but also fun for noobs like me.

So it was onto Dirt 2 and some other racing sims, F1 and GT. 

At the time, I thought the G920 was the "Bee's Knees" in steering wheels. It wasn't until I upgraded that I realised the FFB felt jerky, the well was a little clunky. 

After visiting a few forums, and realising that there were better options available, I decided it was time to do some research into a better "racing sim" setup.

But, it had to get past the "Finance Minister", so it was time to become VERY Creative.

I looked at Fanatic gear, wow that is pricey stuff, but by all accounts very well made. But at the end of the day, for someone who is just starting out, the price is really expensive, considering I didn't really know if I was going to stick with it for a few years.

Then I looked at the Thrustmaster line up, again, by all accounts, not too bad and is the next best thing to Fanatic. Good price point, much easier to get past the "Finance Minister" as an essential purchase.

But wait!! What about Secondhand?? This I could swing by the "Finance Minister". Then I could simply say that some parts of it "Conveniently" failed, thereby opening the door to possible Finance approvals for upgrades. 

I started off with a secondhand Ferrari 458 Italia, in great condition, picked up dirt cheap. It has the Thrustmaster TX servo, so it meant I could upgrade as I went along.

I then purchased a set of T-LCM Laodcell pedals, from there I added an R383 Rally wheel and finally a TSS+ Handbrake/ Shifter.

I am thinking of going a bit further and adding the TS-XW Servo at a later stage.

The other bonus of going secondhand is that you nearly always get very close to all of your money back if you decide to sell it.

I am very happy with the system I have ended up with, it is much better than the G920, to the point that I feel it really does make a difference to my stage times. I find the TX is easier to handle and a lot smoother than the G920, making the car easier to handle.

So, if you are just starting out, my advice is to go Secondhand if you can, then once you decide if it is something you will stick with, look at an upgrade path of your choice.

• Like 1