Sign in to follow this  

Hass announcement just made!

Hass just confirmed they'll be entering a car in F1 Grand prix for 2016!  It's about time American got back in!  What's even more interesting is that the rumors are high it'll have a Ferrari engine and just maybe a female driver!  That'll bring the interest of America's fans back to F1! 

Rome wasn't built in a day...I'm cautiously optimistic.

Have to agree with SynGamer, Haas is no mug. You don't run indycar and nascar teams for as long as he has without some sort of a brain. But trying to do a USF1 and basing the team in the States, hmm not sure. I do hear that the plan for a US base may be scrapped though, ie the reason they've delayed till 2016.

He was in the Ferrari garage for qualifying and thought straight away an engine deal would be why. Would be a wise choice, seems to have done Marussia good.

I'm all for a female driver as long as she's quick and is there on talent, not a marketing exercise. So in that case don't you dare release a certain Ms Patrick from sucking in one of your NASCAR's to sucking even more in an F1 car Mr Haas, don't you dare. Give it to someone who has shown much better promise at lower levels and has age on their side to develop into an at least good midfield runner for a few years (calling Simona de Silvestro....). 

Well if anyone can do it, Hass can. He has plenty of data on aero which will come in handy when designing the F1 car. Drivers aside for a second, I think setting up shop in England/Europe is the wrong choice. Sure that's the best financial move,however if there isn't a base in America I can't consider it a truly American team. Otherwise it will be like Red Bull, and Austrian team in England, really only makes it an Austrian team by name and financing to me. The article I read about Hass was that the aero/car will be designed in North Carolina alongside his NASCARs and there would be an engine facility in England. This was the car would be assembled in England and the team can take advantage of the FIA fly away travel discounts.

As for engines, Ferrari seem to be the rumor. I have a feeling they could use Honda. Honda should be open to other teams in 2016, Indycar is using Honda so Hass would be able to have people familiar with their dealings. It's a possibility. Although putting Honda engines in an "American" car gets further away from the truly American team idea.

For drivers it's an obvious choice to grab Alexander Rossi, sure he's relatively untested but he has promise as an American driver. I'm fine with a female driver, but not Danica. She's too much of a publicity shoot and not enough of a driver. But time will tell.

Danica is too old, I'll be completely honest. She's past her prime, and simply doesn't have the talent to keep up with young 20 year olds. Silvestro I wouldn't mind see be given a chance. Same for Rossi.

There's plenty of American drivers kicking around at the moment that could do the job. Rossi and Conor Daly being the leaders imo.

During the interview after the 600 on Saturday night, Hass said they were about three months away from completing work on their own home-based new building which was earmarked for their F1 entry.  I agree that despite the cost difference they've got to keep their home base in the states or it'll never feel American!

It's well overdue time for the US to stand up to the European elitist attitude on the Grand Prix, and a better time couldn't have been chosen for Hass's confirming announcement, coming right after the American win at Indy!  We can't forget that there is a lot of politics playing behind the scenes, and our momentum has to be kept up from now on.  The track in Texas was a big help in pushing an American team over the top and into the laps, ( no pun intended ), of the racing proletariat, but with our size and assets I think some smart entrepreneur should start considering where a second Grand Prix worthy track should be built!  And built with a distinction that really sets it apart from the ordinary.  I'm thinking 5 miles in length with a 3/4 mile straight run going right into a biggest bank curve allowed under the rules!  They'll all wanna come over to race a track like that!      

Won't happen. Even though Bernie wants to expand F1 in the USA, he's looking at street circuits rather than another purpose built track, hence New Jersey, which will never make the calendar, and a potential return to Long Beach.

IMO, a country should have no more than 1 race/season. It's a world championship after all If Bernie wants more in the Americas, bring back Mexico or Argentina.

Also, banked curves suck. USA '05 anyone?

FFOman said:

During the interview after the 600 on Saturday night, Hass said they were about three months away from completing work on their own home-based new building which was earmarked for their F1 entry.  I agree that despite the cost difference they've got to keep their home base in the states or it'll never feel American!

It's well overdue time for the US to stand up to the European elitist attitude on the Grand Prix, and a better time couldn't have been chosen for Hass's confirming announcement, coming right after the American win at Indy!  We can't forget that there is a lot of politics playing behind the scenes, and our momentum has to be kept up from now on.  The track in Texas was a big help in pushing an American team over the top and into the laps, ( no pun intended ), of the racing proletariat, but with our size and assets I think some smart entrepreneur should start considering where a second Grand Prix worthy track should be built!  And built with a distinction that really sets it apart from the ordinary.  I'm thinking 5 miles in length with a 3/4 mile straight run going right into a biggest bank curve allowed under the rules!  They'll all wanna come over to race a track like that!      

Doubt it, doubt it very much... Banked curves are long gone from Formula 1 and should stay that way.

"It's well overdue time for the US to stand up to the European elitist attitude on the Grand Prix..." - There have already been 8 US teams in F1 and none have done that well, that's why you don't hear about them:

Kurtis - 1959 (1 race);
Tec-Mec - 1959 (1 race);
Scarab - 1960 (5 races);
Eagle - 1966-1969;
Shadow (US/UK) - 1973-1980;
Parnelli - 1974-1976;
Penske - 1974-1977;
Team Haas - 1985-1986.

Elitist? Baseball 'World Series'...? :P

For clarification, I am an American Formula 1 fan and I hold no desire to take it to the so called "European elitist attitude". Let's be realistic about an American F1 team, we haven't had the best track record and we aren't going to do it all immediately. It's going to take time. I think Hass has a shot at being successful but I don't expect him to do it right away. Heck the so calle elite in Caterham, Marussia, and for a time HRT haven't really proven anything (granted Marussia is starting to prove something). @FFOman‌ please don't give American Formula 1 fans (and Americans in general) a worse reputation by acting like we can do anything better than anyone else, because guess what... We can't.

I know that interest was lost here for a long time, but that's exactly why something well outside the box needs to be done.  This is America man...we love being different, on the edge, and without worrying about how touch banks are on a cars suspension!

FFOman said:
     I know that interest was lost here for a long time, but that's exactly why something well outside the box needs to be done.  This is America man...we love being different, on the edge, and without worrying about how touch banks are on a cars suspension!
That was never the problem and wouldn't be the problem today, the problem was the amount of drivers that had lost their lives on banks. That's why they were withdrawn.

For clarification, I am an American Formula 1 fan and I hold no desire to take it to the so called "European elitist attitude". Let's be realistic about an American F1 team, we haven't had the best track record and we aren't going to do it all immediately. It's going to take time. I think Hass has a shot at being successful but I don't expect him to do it right away. Heck the so calle elite in Caterham, Marussia, and for a time HRT haven't really proven anything (granted Marussia is starting to prove something). @FFOman‌ please don't give American Formula 1 fans (and Americans in general) a worse reputation by acting like we can do anything better than anyone else, because guess what... We can't.
I really hope Haas can find an American driver, too. I personally hold nothing against him, but I'd like to see somebody a *little* better than Scott Speed in an F1 car. I also hope that Haas can find funding past the first two or three years. I don't know how long he has funding for, but as you rightly point out, @Chadwick8505 , you don't walk into F1 in the modern era and get success overnight. I am personally very happy that Haas is bringing a new US team to F1, I just hope he can find funding past the first couple of (or one?) years and that he has the stamina to stick with it. Great for F1, too, having a new team.

At the very least, we should expect Haas to be competent enough to compete with the midfield and not just make up the numbers in the field like Marussia and Caterham have been doing for far too long now.

If they are going to field an American, Conor Daly and Alexander Rossi are the obvious names. Can't be too far off from the Ericssons and the Gutierrez' in the field around 2016. Simona de Silvestro could work, but according to Van der Garde, the team has advised her to lose a great deal of weight in order to be considered for a seat. So she has some work to do or else Haas shouldn't go for her as well. I would like to see De Silvestro in F1 though.