Sign in to follow this  

Good Interview With Lead Game Designer Paul Coleman

Packed with info! Some of my favorites: On DiRT Showdown:

I don't think it was a 'wrong' game; it was just a game that was made as a stop gap, so it felt like a stop gap.

On transit between stages:

I know there are even people who want to drive the 150km between stages, but we're not going to do that! (laughs) As cool as that would be, seriously, just play Euro Truck Simulator for two hours and then jump back into DiRT Rally!

On the sim audience:

We've ignored the sim audience before, which was silly, because what we've achieved in the time we've spent just making this game has taken us so much further than when we were iterating on out previous products.

The car physics will be reworked based on new tire and chassis data from the work with the RX guys:

We're leaning on our tyres a little too much to give us the grip that we need, and there's some chassis simulation that we haven't been doing properly - once that is addressed, all out cars are going to be reworked.

Lots on terrain deformation

What I will say is that I think our surfaces are already better than Burns, and there's more we can potentially do with that, including the dreaded word 'deformation'. Not in a Spintires kind of way, but having the 'racing line' in a rally stage actually effect the amount of grip available.

Evilsmurf said:

http://issuu.com/ebconpublishing/docs/simrace-issue06

Some interesting information :)

Great read, very interesting indeed and put a big smile on my face.  :#

We should use that article everytime someone complains about the physics and Codies not listening/trying to fix it. Bookmarked it ready ;)

Too bad the "hidden car/stage" thingy he talks about is hard to implement. I'm not sure how that would be implemented. 

Great interview, really makes me look forward to the future.

I certainly like what he's saying about them making a great base and improving it whilst bolting content on, if I understood it correctly. I'm not sure if that's still the plan, but I'd be all for it if so.

The bits about running order and surfaces I also found really interesting.

@kickup if you're reading this, I can relate 100% to playing GP2 until smoke came from my computer when I was a similar age. Makes me more convinced than ever that the game is in the right hands. Was the first game I found mods for too...!

We should use that article everytime someone complains about the physics and Codies not listening/trying to fix it. Bookmarked it ready ;)
I'm too afraid to stick it in the F1 2015 section as a morale boost, because I'll probably get torn apart again, and labelled a "fanboy" by the not-so-civil group. 

"Haters gonna hate...

To be fair, it's almost like the F1 2015 and DIRT Rally development teams are from completely different universes. I can see why the F1 2015 guys would go nuts.

I'm too afraid to stick it in the F1 2015 section as a morale boost, because I'll probably get torn apart again, and labelled a "fanboy" by the not-so-civil group. 

"Haters gonna hate...
The F1 section is a completely different world isn't it lol

"Haters gonna hate...
The F1 section is a completely different world isn't it lol
It really, truly is.

Did you see my thread, "Be helpful, or be quiet"? 
For the most part I got an overwhelmingly positive response from the community manager via message, like/agree/awesome ratings, and quite a few comments on the actual thread itself. However, there were some absolutely abhorrent and deluded individuals leaving negative responses, who I just had a lot of fun with by taking the high ground constantly. 

No, tbh I saw the title and just imagined the worst possible replies I could think of. I'll go and have a look now, see how close I was ;)

No, tbh I saw the title and just imagined the worst possible replies I could think of. I'll go and have a look now, see how close I was ;)
It's definitely not short of entertainment. 

Some of the responses were truly pathetic. The most of them were from people who completely misunderstood my post. 

The bits about running order and surfaces I also found really interesting.
That, and the bit about how the audio and physics work together. And Paul's pie-in-the-sky dreaming about what Dirt Rally could be, at the end of the interview, is great. Certainly confirms my faith in Codemasters' ambition to make the best rally game yet.

Great interview really, and a good amount of self-criticism, which I love. Perked up my ears when he was talking so much about track deformation...

Funny that he worked on Sega Rally, didn't know that. Incidentally I played the Sega Rally Revo demo for the first time a few hours ago, and it had not only track deformation, but also... tyre choice. :P

Great interview!  Bright looking future for CM (and us gamers) if they follow up on their words