Jump to content Jump to content

Duct Tape/Gaffer Tape

gfRally

This is dreaming a little bit, but it crossed my mind watching some videos of a service park.  Since there is the ability in the game engine to show dirt build up, I wonder if Duct tape could be added over certain parts as a texture map after a service stop.  

Its a really small thing, but after you trashed your bumper or whatever you would see lots of silver tape on it after a repair.  Even top pro teams use it occasionally, especially in RX.

This:

Please, I don't mean this:

Unfortunately, that would probably need every single 3D model recompiled with an additional texture map mask assigned that would create the effect, plus the relevant coding to make sure it was only applied after a service stop.
It couldn't just be added to the texture aspect as it stands now with the paint-chipping/scratching, otherwise duck tape would start growing on the car as you were racing.

It's not just a racing thing. Proper 'Speed Tape' is also used quite a bit on airliners, much to the surprise of the uninformed. :wink: 

gfRally said:
:neutral:   :open_mouth:   :cold_sweat: 
Don't be alarmed, taken from Wikipedia:
Speed tape is an aluminized pressure-sensitive tape used to do minor repairs on aircraft and racing cars. It is used as a temporary repair material until a more permanent repair can be carried out. It has an appearance similar to duct tape, for which it is sometimes mistaken, but its adhesive is capable of sticking on an airplane fuselage or wing at high speeds, hence the name.

Archived