Sign in to follow this  

#FeedbackFriday - With A Twist!

Hi all,

Now that we’re about half way in to our Early Access it’s safe to say we’ve learnt a lot, we’ve drastically changed the way we work internally, we’ve built in much more flexibility to be able to adapt to your requests, fix bugs and it has changed us for the better. To all of you thank you for pushing us to do better. 

For this week’s #FeedbackFriday we wanted to do something a little different and turn things around so instead of us asking you for Feedback we’re going to give you our feedback (based on your feedback.

Car wishlits – We’re pretty confident that we have some of the most iconic rally cars rally cars already and we have over 15 more on the assembly line (all of which you’ve been asking for). For some cars though licensing is ultimately what kills the possibility of their inclusion. The Tuthill Porsche for a prime example, we’ve had a lot of requests for that but another publisher holds the exclusive rights to Porsche cars and it’s the similar for a few others. It’s also down to the car manufacturers – not all of them want to be in a rally game. 

We’re really pleased with the list we have though and we think you will be too. 

New environments – We’ve been looking into the possibility of doing this but they are the assets that take the longest for us to make it also boils down to what the most important is. We’d love to do something like include Michigan from Rally America but if it comes down to a choice between doing that or Finland... Finland is always going to win (sorry America). 

We have plenty on the way:  Sweden (Holjes), another UK track (Lydden) and Norway (Hell) which will make up part of our two World RX updates. Then for our rally updates we have the forests of Finland and snowy Sweden on the way later this year.  

Feature requests – We’re in the process of doing another review of the suggestion box to decide what we can do for the next update, annoyingly we’d never be able do everything that’s in there because it’s about 8 games worth of ideas but we are looking at the most popular and in the process of working out what we can realistically get done. We can tell you that in the next update we’re incorporating some more anti-cheat stuff, adding the ability to identify your device as a wheel if it isn’t fully supported yet. You’ll be able to repair a puncture mid stage, remove the drivers arms and steering wheel from view and we hope to get a few more changes in too.

Bugs – We’re chipping away at all of the bugs we’re seeing reported. The main priorities at the moment are what’s left of the Error 41 issues, that dam stutter some people get, game not saving, set ups not saving, nVidia cards not full screening (usually the mobile ones), there are obviously all of the other bugs too which we are chipping away on and we’ll have more fixes in our World RX update.

So that’s game side stuff, outside of that we wanted to give you some feedback on the 
following:

Your videos are awesome – we keep stumbling across them on our adventures around the internet but you guys really need to start housing them in one place for all to see, there’s some great videos out there that people have clearly spent a long time putting them together. We’re sharing as much as we can but it would be awesome to see you guys club together and share what you’re doing. If we can make that easier somehow – let us know. 

Tutorials – we’ve seen some great tutorials made so far both video ones and in the guides section on Steam but there’s so much not covered yet. We’ve got a section on the website ready and waiting for your video guides so if you happen to have made one or found a good one let us know.

Screenshots – we love posting these on our Twitter account so be sure to upload your best and you might get featured. Not going to lie I honestly think you guys take better screenshots than we do. Keep sharing them to the Community Hub and stick them on our Facebook, Twitter and Reddit. 

We’ll try make this more of a regular thing, like we’ve said many times before you guys are awesome. This game wouldn’t be what it is without you and you’ve changed the DiRT Team here at Codemasters for the better.

Fire up any questions below and I’ll try answer what I can.

Absolutely spot on way to respond to many of the comments during the week sir, I applaud you.

I'll take the wording for the 'environments' section to mean new kilometres in existing environments haven't been completely discounted yet :P

Can you tell us which cars you couldn't get due to licensing issues?
Porsche and Toyota would be the big two that you won't be driving and have been asking for. There are a few other cars we're having discussions about too so I won't mention them because 1) I'm probably not supposed to know 2) I could screw things up by mentioning it. 

Absolutely spot on way to respond to many of the comments during the week sir, I applaud you.

I'll take the wording for the 'environments' section to mean new kilometres in existing environments haven't been completely discounted yet :P
Not completely discounted. I think doing something like adding the full gravel version of Pikes makes more sense than just making up stages that don't exist though. :) 

Porsche and Toyota would be the big two that you won't be driving and have been asking for. There are a few other cars we're having discussions about too so I won't mention them because 1) I'm probably not supposed to know 2) I could screw things up by mentioning it. 
Are you able to elaborate on why Toyota is a no go @justbiglee ? I think the issue with Porsche in games is well known but, with Toyota due to return to rally soon, you'd expect them to be keen to be represented in a rally game? 

Not completely discounted. I think doing something like adding the full gravel version of Pikes makes more sense than just making up stages that don't exist though. :) 
Somebody came up with a good idea this week, mirroring the stages. Would that be feasible?

tbtstt said:
Are you able to elaborate on why Toyota is a no go @justbiglee ? I think the issue with Porsche in games is well known but, with Toyota due to return to rally soon, you'd expect them to be keen to be represented in a rally game? 
I doubt Lee can, but Toyota have been rumoured to be a difficult one to deal with by other devs recently. One sticking point that's been rumoured is that they won't allow any depiction of damage to their cars, but there must be more to it. SMS apparently were struggling but there are other rumours that they have managed to work it out.

I agree with you that it seems ludicrous when they are playing so hard on their rallying heritage, but hey, I guess they know better...

Real shame though.

Any news on full tv camera replays for all of the stage as an option. This would be fantastic.
Regards.
Kenny

Somebody came up with a good idea this week, mirroring the stages. Would that be feasible?
Personally, I'd much rather keep the same ones but with the odd junction changed or with temporary chicanes.

And to answer Lee's pont from before; I'd have nothing against fictional stages - au contraire, I'd love to see what you could come up with after all this research into the real ones :)

Dunno, might be one for @kickup but personally I feel its a bit Mario Karty

tbtstt said:
I doubt Lee can, but Toyota have been rumoured to be a difficult one to deal with by other devs recently. One sticking point that's been rumoured is that they won't allow any depiction of damage to their cars, but there must be more to it. SMS apparently were struggling but there are other rumours that they have managed to work it out.

I agree with you that it seems ludicrous when they are playing so hard on their rallying heritage, but hey, I guess they know better...

Real shame though.
I don't know the ins and outs tbh (but even if I did I probably couldn't say) I just know its not doable at the moment.

Toyota being an issue is news to me; they were in DiRT 3, so something must have changed more recently in their licensing, they seemed to be relatively easy to license until now (every street racing game had some sort of Supra in!).

Toyota being an issue is news to me; they were in DiRT 3, so something must have changed more recently in their licensing, they seemed to be relatively easy to license until now (every street racing game had some sort of Supra in!).
Maybe that's the problem; too many people hold the license, and maybe there are complications that have come from that. That's my guess anyway. 

Toyota have been rumoured to be a difficult one to deal with by other devs recently. One sticking point that's been rumoured is that they won't allow any depiction of damage to their cars, but there must be more to it. 
AC are releasing the Toyota GT86 soon, which will have damage. And i seem to remember a interview with on of the Kunos devs stating that the idea of Car Manufacturers stating that they don't allow damage to cars is nonsense, and devs often use it as an excuse for not having damage.

Here is that interview (about 5:45): https://youtu.be/Yqo_SDyWuqM?t=5m40s

Hopefully not having Toyota in the game isn't a big issue with some but we still have plenty of iconic cars in the game.

Until know I was 99% sure that the 2 cars from legendary Finnish drivers in Finland update were the ST205(KKK) and the 307WRC(Gronholm).But that development opens up a spot that I hope it will be covered by the Lancer Evo VI(Makkinen of course).So lets wait and see.

Does the 15 cars include the Rallycross ones? 

Thanks for giving us that feedback too Lee. I think a lot of people have been waiting a while to read something like that, directly from someone like yourself within the DiRT team.

Thanks for giving us that feedback too Lee. I think a lot of people have been waiting a while to read something like that, directly from someone like yourself within the DiRT team.
Yes according to Paul, so they are true to their word that they didn't want to add too many cars to the game like the previous ones.

http://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/622062586285170688

Well, I suppose there is an unofficial workaround for Toyota being difficult... DiRT Rally could give the modding community the ability to be fully flexible with their creations, which includes adding new cars to the game (instead of replacing ones that already exist, such as the current Solberg Subaru mod). 

I don't know what direction the team want to go in regarding modding, but it would be a pretty good addition, although not absolutely necessary. 

So I think that the Modern Masters includes something like 10 or 11 cars then. That's great amount of modern cars in my opinion!

Can we expect to be able to drive some R5 cars when that add-on is released? ;)

Ability to remove the wheel and hands. Thank you Codies!!

Also your announcement of including the rallyx made me to buy the game, so good move.

That's understandable @justbiglee , thought it was worth asking though, just in case it was something you could share!

Yes according to Paul, so they are true to their word that they didn't want to add too many cars to the game like the previous ones.

http://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/622062586285170688
I personally don't think they have ever added too many cars to a game: I would say that DiRT 2 had too many cars that had no place in an off road racing game though!

Post-DLC release DiRT 3 had a fantastic selection of cars. With the exception of WRCars 1997 - 2010 I thought they pretty much nailed all the classics.

Jepsertti said:
So I think that the Modern Masters includes something like 10 or 11 cars then. That's great amount of modern cars in my opinion!

Can we expect to be able to drive some R5 cars when that add-on is released? ;)

I don't think so. Finland update states '2', Sweden update says 'cars' (plural), so minimum of 2 there. If you assume 5-6 rallycross cars, that would be 9-10, so realistically you're looking at 5-6 in the Modern Masters pack; guessing a few 2000s and one or two of 2010s.