Sign in to follow this  

#FeedbackFriday - With A Twist!

oprahIE said:
Why wouldn't a manufacturer want to be in a video game? Especially if it's a historic car.

Do they have to pay Codemasters for licensing to be in the game? Or does Codemasters have to pay them?
Game companies have to pay the manufacturer seeing as they can make money out of the brand's IP.

I agree with you that it seems a bit daft that some are so restrictive and conservative with their licenses and it's disappointed that stubbornness over short-term profits seem more important to many than furthering their brand's heritage via nu-age media.
SCS Software (Euro Truck Simulator 2) have talked about the difficulty of convincing people at Mercedes, Volvo, etc that their game is worth having their brands in:
Courting the truck manufacturers - getting their attention and reaching the decision makers - is really not easy at all for a small company like SCS Software coming from outside of the transportation industry. The licensing negotiations in some cases take years to complete, and sometimes we are asked to prove that we are really taking this seriously.
And:
we try to prove to truck manufacturers that having their vehicles portrayed in our games is no harm for them, but rather a benefit
But that's a small studio in the Czech Republic; I have to wonder why a company like Toyota would be so reluctant about an established studio in a known genre wanting to license their cars—and not for the first time. Guess that's why I don't work in business.

Like I said in the other thread, its most likely Toyota decided their brand/license was worth more than Codies were able/willing to pay.
The fact that they are getting back into rallying may have led to them re-evaluating the value of Toyota in a rally game, since its not purely historical any more.
Given the more limited budget of DiRT Rally and it really being a bit of an experiment, it's entirely possible Codies just don't think the Toyota license is worth the amount they are asking for.

The following Toyota's have been confirmed for Forza 6 thus far
  • 1969 Toyota 2000GT
  • 1974 Toyota Celica GT
  • 1985 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT Apex
  • 1995 Toyota MR2 GT
  • 1998 Toyota Supra RZ
So they don't seem particularly reluctant to be in games. It's all about the terms and the fees.

Manufacturers should pay to be in the game. It's advertising for them in the long run.

oprahIE said:
Manufacturers should pay to be in the game. It's advertising for them in the long run.
And having real licensed cars helps games sell. It's not a one-way street.
It's like how F1 basically pays Ferrari to turn up.
Ultimately, games tend to need the manufacturers more than the other way around.

Or you go the GTA route and use fake cars that bear an uncanny resemblance to real ones, but obviously aren't, no sir.
Top Gear Rally on the N64 did that, with the following car list:
LD, IP, M3, PS, SP, RS, NS, ES, CE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kWuUP225So

You would NEVER get away with Top Gear Rally now.

Well done with incorporating community feedback - it's the best rally sim in years, and it isn't even finished yet.  Keep up the brilliant work.

Rotjone said:
It would be nice if you could actually hit rev limiter when driving, not just mid-air and neutral. Not a big request, but i think these kind of little things are important.

Great thread!
You'll be able to soon. There was a bug that stopped cars hitting the limiter.

But of course, some cars don't have a limiter, such as the 60's mini... so you'll hit a virtual one... can't have you blowing the engine on every gear change.

Lee, can you put the stage distances in the load screen map? Knowing the actual distance is helpful and something known for sure in real rally!

Subaru! are there any new ones planned like the awesome 2008 Impreza?

Drop the mirror concept, please!
In driving it would be nice to see damage report in a movable window, and then also having the wheel correspond to the damage, for instance, when left dampner is tweaked you feel a certain wheel reaction, which adds to consistent realism. Right now, there is no consequences for over damaging your car and bashing into cliff sides, there needs to be, it will add trepidation and disappointment which equals even more spine tingling realism.
Gene 

Absolutely spot on way to respond to many of the comments during the week sir, I applaud you.

I'll take the wording for the 'environments' section to mean new kilometres in existing environments haven't been completely discounted yet :P
Not completely discounted. I think doing something like adding the full gravel version of Pikes makes more sense than just making up stages that don't exist though. :) 
YES PLEASE, I've been waiting for this and the ability to drive all cars on Pikes since it launched.

Absolutely spot on way to respond to many of the comments during the week sir, I applaud you.

I'll take the wording for the 'environments' section to mean new kilometres in existing environments haven't been completely discounted yet :P
Not completely discounted. I think doing something like adding the full gravel version of Pikes makes more sense than just making up stages that don't exist though. :) 
Somebody came up with a good idea this week, mirroring the stages. Would that be feasible?
Dunno, might be one for @kickup but personally I feel its a bit Mario Karty
Maybe that's whats been missing all along, I could finally blue shell my way to first place, because skill takes time,  and aint nobody got time for that.

I would like quicker gear times in sequential gearing mode, and the possibility to use the clutch when driving sequential and also h-shift (as driving a car with a dogbox, not having to clutch while gearing).

Great work again Biglee and the guys at Codies. The game is really going in the right direction. Am going to LOVE the tyre change and getting rid of the hands and wheel. YEA!!!!!!!!!!

But I gotta disagree with the stage thing. Another version of Pikes Peak can't possibly be as necessary as more stages for the existing locations. I've never understood the need for people to have reproductions of real roads they will never drive. Just give us as many (long) stages as you can create that reproduce the feel and atmosphere of the rallies. 

BTW: If we are taking real stages, then where is there a fighter jet parked right next the the stage in Germany? Hope that doesn't come across as nasty, it's just a pet hate of mine, lol. 

BTW: If we are taking real stages, then where is there a fighter jet parked right next the the stage in Germany? Hope that doesn't come across as nasty, it's just a pet hate of mine, lol. 
Right here: https://goo.gl/maps/lBzpI

Indeed. It's Luftwaffe Tornado IDS serial number 45+01, which was assigned to the German Air Force Flying Training Center in 2001 (which, believe it or not, is actually located at Holloman Air Force Base, New Mexico)
Despite my efforts, haven't found a specific reason why it's now rotting by that road, though it is all part of a military area.
Could have been damaged and written off, could have had too many flight hours and so been selected for retirement from the ongoing cuts to the Luftwaffe fast jet force.
(The accuracy of the model is one of the reasons why I've said to Codies they might want to be careful with possible licensing issues with Panavia. Aircraft need to be licensed just as much as cars. It's why the Tornado is missing from the PC version of Ace Combat: Assault Horizon)

That's just how Germany is, tanks and fighter planes everywhere. Never know when they're going to be useful again.

Benniz said:
I would like quicker gear times in sequential gearing mode, and the possibility to use the clutch when driving sequential and also h-shift (as driving a car with a dogbox, not having to clutch while gearing).
We really need a clutch option for sequential shifting, as soon as possible. Why isn't it there from the start? It is essential, especially for rally.