Jump to content Jump to content

Plans for the Celica GT-Four?

Trumanpriest

Seems a pretty large oversight that this car isnt in the game.  From 90-94 (the ST185 model, not cheater ST205) it won just about everything and is arguably one of the reasons the Impreza and Evolutions exist today.  Are there any plans to add some authenticity to the game by adding this incredible machine?  Does anyone disagree or know the reason it isnt included?  With toyota looking to get back into the WRC I would think this is a feasible car to get licensed.

Wow....that stinks big time.  Boo to Toyota.  They announced earlier this year they were going to be re-joining WRC in 2017.  Seems dumb to not allow a license that gets their brand rally heritage out there again.  Sigh.  Sorry i missed that dev post also.

Wow....that stinks big time.  Boo to Toyota.  They announced earlier this year they were going to be re-joining WRC in 2017.  Seems dumb to not allow a license that gets their brand rally heritage out there again.  Sigh.  Sorry i missed that dev post also.
My thoughts exactly: you think they'd be keen to remind people of their rally heritage before they rejoin the Championship.

I can only imagine that Toyota have decided their license is worth more than Codies are willing/able to pay.

A ton of Toyotas have just been confirmed for Forza 6, so it's not about them not wanting to be in games or worrying about damage depiction. Forza damage isn't the best, but it's there.

Since Microsoft and Turn 10 pretty much have more money to throw around than anyone, enough to wrangle a number of Porsches out of EA and give them away for free, that would seem to be the most likely sticking point.

For me, that's pretty crushing. The game simply cannot be complete, to me, without the ST205.
I have my DiRT 3 port ready to go of course, though who knows if that will still function as well as it does by the time we get to the final retail version.

I don't get it though, I mean The Toyota GT-Four is a rally icon, putting it in games is pretty much free advertising, I don't get why companies make such a big fuss about it, any publicity is good publicity (even bad ones).

Put in a generic version of the car and call it Toyeca or something, problem solved...

...but I guess it wouldn't work that way though :(

I always hoped that I would drive the car in the game, but it appears it won't :(

Spokster said:
I don't get it though, I mean The Toyota GT-Four is a rally icon, putting it in games is pretty much free advertising, I don't get why companies make such a big fuss about it, any publicity is good publicity (even bad ones).
Because it's an icon, they know it's valuable.
As for why licensing is there in the first place, to protect their IP and designs.
It's not just cars, its the same with aircraft and guns in games too. Northrop-Grumman famously went after Ubisoft in the early 00s and a number of gun companies chased up Counter-Strike.
The result, Ubisoft paid NG, taking the money out of developer 1Cs cut and Counter-Strike stopped using real gun names.

For all we know, this is one of the costs of the FIA World Rally Cross license or maybe even getting Pikes Peak.
Less money towards licensed cars and Toyota may simply have been too low down on the list of priorities against the likes of Lancia, Subaru, Peugeot, Audi, Ford, etc.
Ironically, if the game was still featuring the more Americanised disciplines, the Toyota license may have been a higher priority because of the trucks.

Our best hope at this point is for the game to get a release on consoles. That'll hopefully inject a lot more capital which could fund future DLC such as a Toyota pack.

Barnestah said:
I suppose everyone could email Toyota Headquarters asking them nicely. But it would probably be a futile attempt. 

It very very silly  tho in my eyes.
That's exactly what I did a couple of days ago.  Toyota hasn't won any awards of late as far as enthusiasts are concerned with the exception of having Subaru build them the GT86, FRS etc.  They HAD exciting cars that defined and changed the car scene forever - why not showcase them?  Anyways, this is the email I sent to headquarters last week.  Nothing will likely come of it - but if more email, maybe there is a 2% chance instead of 1% lol?

[Good morning,

Codemasters has a game in late development called Dirt Rally. It is quite possibly the most realistic and best WRC game to come along since Colin McRae carried the game title. As an owner of a Celica GT-Four RC it baffles me why Toyota would ostracize their loyal followers by not cooperating and allowing the license for the game. Lancia, Ford, Peugeot, Subaru, etc have all signed on with the game. As Toyota has announced their return to WRC in 2017 it seems this game is the PERFECT opportunity to remind people of the amazing rally heritage of Toyota in the ST165,185,205 - not to mention the potential to feature their upcoming WRC machines. Please reconsider allowing the license in a similar fashion as the other major players in WRC have for Codemaster Dirt Rally game. Thank you!]

Am I the only one whose not fussed about the exclusion of the Celica? Would rather the resources/money was spent on something more modern. 
Im good with the modern idea with the exception of the fact they included the classics.  You cant have the classics without one of the top 5 winninest cars which defines a whole platform.

The below is all meant in the nicest possible way, but I'm not sure that going all militant on a manufacturer is necessarily going to help the cause. I understand your point and appreciate that it's well worded, but that approach may do more harm than good. Lee was kind enough to answer our questions with honest answers and may be less willing to do so in future if we act upon every word. Besides, if they are looking for an extortionate sum of money, showing them the demand that there is for it is only going to strengthen their bargaining position!

We may not appreciate the approaches that manufacturers are taking, and from a marketing perspective I really see it as a missed opportunity for any brand to be avoiding a highly rated, quality product such as DR, but a lot of highly paid people have collectively made these decisions and I doubt CM would want us interfering on their behalf.

Nothing was said in regards to cost or even alluding to a private conversation. Logically the fact is that since Toyota is absent there must be a dis-similarity between them and the companies in the game, thus a cooperation issue on some level. I chose my words very carefully.  I dont believe anything i said could be considered "militant" or anything even broaching the aggressive side of things.  In marketing social media and opinion has become far more important a source of information for companies than anything else.  By sharing mine with them as well as valid marketing points and future roi within the game i intended to give them possibly a different point of view and incentive.  Demand is a powerful force for the supplier of any good.  I own a GT-Four and for many of us Toyota owners at large our marquee is missing from a majority of current games and its unfortunate and i would like them to know i place that on them, not the game makers.

I think that going "mililtant" could help a lot, as long as we keep it civil.

No need to send insulting e-mails, just sending an e-mail indicating how we feel about the situation (Trumanpriest e-mail is the perfect example).

But we would need to find a universal one from the mother corp, I seriously doubt that Toyota USA (toyota.com) as anything to do with it.

Perphaps Toyota Motorsport(which is the current name of TTE) ?

http://www.toyota-motorsport.com/en/contact-en

Logically the fact is that since Toyota is absent there must be a dis-similarity between them and the companies in the game, thus a cooperation issue on some level. 

You can't know that. Like I've already said multiple times now, it's entirely possible that Codemasters have simply decided that the Toyota license isn't the best use of their limited resources.
They have a budget and will prioritise which licenses they think are more/less essential and assign appropriate resources to acquire those licenses.
If Toyota's asking price was beyond that and they couldn't negotiate a solution, then they are going to have to make decisions in other areas.
What do they drop in order to ensure Toyota?
It's also entirely possible that Toyota was sacrificed in order to make sure a different license could be acquired.
For example. from Codies, and most peoples points of view, using money that would have gotten Toyota to ensure they get Citreon/DS, Peugeot or Lancia is probably a more prudent allocation of resources.  (That said, I think we could have easily ditched Opel in order to get Toyota, but that would leave the Group B RWD category a bit barren).

I obviously don't know any of that for a fact, so logically I can't claim it as a fact.
But saying as Toyota are still appearing in other games, the most reasonable explanation is that, as with most things of this nature, it's come down to money.

There's really no basis to assume it's 100% Toyota just being difficult or not wanting to be in the game.
That's what's been bothering me the most about the response to this situation.

There are all sorts of things it can be down to, we don't and, most likely, won't ever know.

It could be money, it could be damage, it could be that they didn't like their representation in DiRT 3, it could be that they wanted it to have superior performance to other cars, it could be that they've sold the Celica rally car license exclusively to someone else, it could be that they are restricting use of their rallying IP to use it en masse when the WRC programme is running, it might be that they don't want their new programme to be linked to the cars that got banned previously, they may be trying to avoid drawing attention to the current internal 'issues' affecting the build up to their WRC entry, it could be that they have an internal policy never to have their cars appear in virtual representations of Greece, it could be that Castrol have a say in the IP and don't want it used, it could be that the IP for the rally cars is being transferred from one entity (Toyota Corporate) to another (Gazoo Racing) or it could be a million other things.

That said, it's a pity, but let's leave it in their capable hands and see what rallying icon we get instead. Maybe it will be sorted for a future game or maybe DR once it has a console port, but for now it's not happening, so let's speculate about the ones we're not sure of yet :)

tbtstt said:
it could be that they wanted it to have superior performance to other cars
Perhaps Toyota insisted that the ST205 must be represented with an illegal turbo fitted in game.  ;)
LOL - That's the level 3 sneaky turbo restriction plate upgrade.

End of the day, I'm not sure why a few are trying to make placing the onus on TOYOTA into an issue.  I haven't called out Codemasters even once.  It was stated at the top of this thread that the car wasn't going to happen due to "Licensing issues confirmed by Dev".  To me that doesn't sound like - "We chose we didn't want them over brands X,Y, and Z".   Codemasters is doing the right things in the right ways to the best of my knowledge. The exact reasons mentioned; Cost, Performance, Representation, etc, would all be reasons I would be disappointed with Toyota with if those are the dis-similarities that are keeping them from signing on.  As mentioned; Toyota is visible in a few games so they don't have a blanket of aversion to appearing in games, so whatever their issue is that other companies do not have, I am asking them through consumer voice to please consider re-approaching it - this is not by far the first major title that Toyota has been absent from due to licensing issues.  As a direct consumer of Toyota's goods that is exactly how I should approach this situation and let them know my opinion. Like I stated earlier, I do not think that this is going to change the 1% chance to even a 2% chance of something happening.  However, I am not going to recognize something we can all agree is poor on their part in one hand and do jack squat but moan in the other.  Instead I contacted them and let them know my opinion.  Unless they know the opinions of the people they will never even consider changing their stances on it.  I'm not hoisting a flag here and calling for revolution and the masses to rise up.  Based on the info available to me, contacting Toyota and letting them know my stance is an appropriate action. 

Oh, it's in the game all right. I prepared for this a while ago.
Saying as we now know it won't be official, I can work on it more. Already re-worked the textures last n ight as per @meerkat80 to make the port look as good as I possibly can in DiRT Rally.
Applying a 21% transparency black layer on top of the whole thing is pretty cheap and quick, but a massive improvement over a straight drag-n-drop.

Might just be a disguised Impreza and I still don't know how to fix the lights, but it's there.
The game considers it some form of cheat, saying as achievements are disabled, but whenever I feel the need, it's ready to go.
And it's glorious.

Archived