F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Upgrades for Williams/Haas/Alfa

I feel like we have the same problem we did with 2017 where the team performance doesnt really change and the back teams never catch up with the pack.

With the increase in resource points earned, the faster teams are upgrading just as fast as the small teams and the regulation changes aren't mixing the field up like they did with 2018 and 2019.

I think that upgrades for Williams, Haas and Alfa Romeo should give a much bigger performance boost than the faster teams. Certainly the first half of them at least I think minor upgrades for the small teams should give the same boost as major upgrades would for bigger teams. This should help the back three teams get into the mix rather than constantly being a long way back.

I've seen YouTube series that have reached season 4 and those three teams are still as far back as they were in season 1. It leaves the career modes a little stale and too predictable. Any chance of seeing some balance changes in this regard?

• Agree 2

Yup.  The order they are at the start of the career/myteam mode is the same order they'll be in when every team is maxed out performance wise.  It's at that point now in my career mode.  Although 3 departments are currently hit by regulation changes which may shift if up a bit, but in another season it'll be the same.  

It really defeats the purpose of having a career mode.  If you were a Williams fan and wanted to build them up to the best team in F1... you essentially never will because you will eventually max out at a lower performance level than everyone else.   So.... what's the point?  I'm sure its contractual as to why they can't allow fluctuations, but... it is what it is.

Here's the kicker...  with all teams maxed out currently... Guess who's #1 overall?  ....    Ferrari.   🙄

Great idea for the GP mode so they're balanced with reality, but in career modes let them be free! lol     I do agree though, they need a boost becuase they're not that far behind the pack anymore.  Well, maybe Haas is, but that's another story

Edited by petro1319
  • Like 1

What i think they should have done is this.

The lower the team at the beginning of the game them the bigger the R&D tree.

This will mean that theoretically, when all teams are maxed out with nothing else to purchase, then performance should be the same.

This will mean any team could get to the top first or fall to the bottom with R&D resets at end of season and changes of regulations. 

So the bigger teams don't pull away, then the lower upgrades for the smaller teams are cheaper so they can catch up to the midfield and the top upgrades are expensive. 

Hope that makes sense, does in my head haha.

• Agree 1

Yeah that sounds reasonable to me, gives them a chance to catch up but not keep pulling too far ahead.

It seems like that's what they tried this year by having their upgrades cost less than the top and midfield teams. Unfortunately with the increase in resource points from having two drivers collect them rather than one and the weekly income has made that change redundant.

I think they should do away with weekly resource points and limit it back to the practice sessions since the top teams are able to upgrade as fast as the bottom three and regulation changes dont do anything at the moment since they can easily protect their upgrades.

Another idea I can think if is perhaps limiting the amount of upgrades each team is allowed to protect so if you finish in the top 3 you can save five upgrades, 4th-7th can protect seven and 8th-11th can protect ten. 

• Agree 1

I have now played the second season with Alfa Romeo and the performance of the team at the beginning of the third season is like at the beginning of the first season! It's impossible to lead a team like Alfa Romeo to the top, it's not fun!
It's only a "Sisyphus - work" :classic_sad:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisyphus

I would love to see the possibility of turning Williams or Alfa or Haas the bestest team of the grid and finish the all seasons beeing the Team to beat

They have scripted Ferrari to develop more and faster than any other teams. I restarted my career, am in race #9 of season 1 and already they are up there again with Mercedes and Red Bull. 

19 hours ago, AllenB2609 said:

They have scripted Ferrari to develop more and faster than any other teams. I restarted my career, am in race #9 of season 1 and already they are up there again with Mercedes and Red Bull. 

I don't think this is "scripted", it is linked to the facilities that Ferrari have in Career Mode. Having better facilities than McLaren, RP and Renault allows the Scuderia to upgrade their car quicker and therefore, close the gap to Mercedes and Red Bull. I often setup a season mode when I want to run a realistic season.

So what is the point of career mode if you simply cant get one of the backmarkers to the top? Pathetic from CM

You can, it's not too difficult to do so. Problem is that the AI versions of them dont. In 2018 and 2019 you could get to season 4 and Williams could be 3rd best team with Merc dropping to 5th after regulation changes while you've played as Renault the whole time and every save would be different. At the moment it usually just stays the same as all teams get enough resource points to protect all of their upgrades as well as afford new upgrades very quickly. Its making Merc/Red Bull/Ferrari develop at the same speed as Haas/Alfa/Williams so we're not seeing any variation.

22 hours ago, Cathal P said:

I don't think this is "scripted", it is linked to the facilities that Ferrari have in Career Mode. Having better facilities than McLaren, RP and Renault allows the Scuderia to upgrade their car quicker and therefore, close the gap to Mercedes and Red Bull. I often setup a season mode when I want to run a realistic season.

I'm at Austria S2 of MyTeam and Ferrari have now dropped to 8th in the performance charts. Although they can still occasionally make Q3 and get the odd points finish as Leclerc and Vettel are so highly rated.

I'm now nearing the end of season 2 on myteam mode and the backmarkers are now closer than they ever have been than the midfield. But there is still a gap. Fortunately at least the midfield is a fun chaotic mix with RP/Renault/McLaren/Ferrari having almost the same performance and AT very close behind them.

It should be that all teams are level on performance when fully upgraded . Maybes . The Merc teams with a bit better  chassis . Then Ferrari teams with a bit better power unit . Then the independent teams Renault and redbull having a bit better aero than rivals . That would mix it up race by race . Could be interesting