Sign in to follow this  

Competitive Gaming in GRID Autosport

Hey Guys,

I just want to ask for something in the community and for every at CM. What do you think about competitive gaming? I don´t mean like hitting good times in a leaderboard. I think about leagues and series with prizes and stuff like other eSport in SC2 or LoL. I would really like to see something like this coming to racing games because you can really compete quite well here. Any suggestions here?

ESL usually run a league/ladder - they did for Grid and Dirt 3 - not sure about Grid 2 though...

http://www.esl.eu/uk/

they did for grid 2 yes. i was high level player there.  but i also was admin for racing in ESL and atm there is no support anymore. because i was the only activ admin and i give up this position month ago

I'm spearheading the attempt to get a major racing league site to open up some space for GRID Autosport leagues. It's a tough sell because of the utter failure of GRID2 and the perception that GAS will not be conducive to league racing. I race on an xbox 360. However, I think if they get the physics close to right (think: more F1 than DIRT) then the deficiencies in the game (at least for those of us on the console who want something closer to real life than Mario Kart) can be overlooked. Obviously, it was this crowd who brought Codemasters to this point with Autosport (having cockpit, grip physics, more focus on traditional racing, etc) than the crowd who mindlessly spews out "GRID is an arcade and always will be an arcade...blah, blah, blah...."

Why could grid be better than Forza? (Despite the lack of pits and tuning depth):
1.  A much more diverse selection of cars and tracks,
2.  Much better driving physics, with a wheel user on "no assists" in mind. (fingers crossed).
3.  Cars that run series' that don't normally pit, but do incur damage, like Autosport will mimic...coupled with the ability to string together sprint (or "endurance") races in succession as a single event in Custom Cup.

Despite having hundreds of members and a very healthy Codemasters section, the company doesn't seem to take an interest in reaching out to people like myself who are trying to promote their product to a large audience. Perhaps they feel it's really just small potatoes in the big picture (much like their "market research" on cockpit view) or that the site is mainly cross platform combined with racing news real time even though Codemasters makes their games on all platforms?). But I'm still going to cross my fingers and hope they deliver. I have no ability to get any inside info though. They only share that with those who want to run ads on slick YouTube sites, apparently.

If you are interested in league play:  http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/forums/grid-autosport.339/

@OctoberDusk06‌

League play is something we're all for supporting, @Hatta has done some great stuff with F1 and it's very much on my mind for GRID Autosport, in fact I've been talking to leagues since we announced.

A number of leagues have been talking to us for a while now and it looks like we may have 1-3 high profiled and well established leagues racing within Autosport and I'm sure more will join in once they get hands on with the game.

The club feature is also going to be great for this.

I've not gone anywhere, since announce I've been easy to find and if you ever wanted to talk then I'm just a private message away. I think I've had 1 email from Race Department since we unveiled the game, if you want us to support you it has to be a two way discussion.

I'd disagree with a lot of your third paragraph, for instance we've had a few leagues come in and talk to about the game, what they'd like to see from us to help support them, they've played the game, given us feedback.

I hope there will be a professional league for PS3. There are too many for PC and XBOX but why the PS3 is so weak with leagues? I dont understand this... only GT6 is well-known for that but why not the other games :[[[[

That's true Loore. Didn't mean to imply that Codemasters was anti-league or anything because the F1 franchise is as healthy in that community as it gets. I was more referring to GRID and the failure to live up to its potential. But, then again, that's why we are here and CM is to be commended for that. I'll do what I can to help through Race Department.

I will have a look on RaceDepartment. I mean in my time as an admin at the ESL there was not so much response from anywhere to do anything. If only 100-200 playes would sign up this would be a hugh start. I mean LoL or SC2 are so big in eSport. I still dont get it why not racing. The community and the publisher has to do something to make it big. It will promote companies to host events or something and you have more interest in the game itself, and people see other people fight and want to compete oneself. 

It does seem that the racing leagues have been mostly grass roots with racing games Vadda. I've been a site owner myself and has some success with Forza and F1 and even Race Pro (recently even), but the publishers never seem to notice. I can understand why they don't want to get involved in endorsing sites but when you have about a dozen full grid, full season, 100% race championships in one of their games (F1 at Race Department) you would think they would do SOMETHING. Door prizes? lol.

Maybe the answer is they are generally off in their own little world trying to make their own multiplayer universe (Racenet anyone?) and get people to buy into that sort of "weekly challenge" format. But for most hardcore guys, that's just fluff. 

That´s it. CM thinks comparing times in Racenet is competition. It´s not! Well you can practise and check times and more.. but we want leagues, livestreams, prizes, promote player and teams. Do eSport!

Vadda said:
That´s it. CM thinks comparing times in Racenet is competition. It´s not! Well you can practise and check times and more.. but we want leagues, livestreams, prizes, promote player and teams. Do eSport!
Then do it! We're happy to help promote events like that and work with any teams or events but us pushing GRID Autosport as an eSports game doesn't feel right. That's not because it wouldn't work as one but because the best eSport games are those that have been built up by the community that play the game. Traditionally when a game has been designed and marketed for eSports they haven't gone down well with the eSports community. So if it happens awesome, we'll be their to support it :)

Thanks BigLee i will keep this in mind. It doesn´t worked out so well with other codemaster games at ESL but i dont know if the admins had contact to you in the past. Let´s see what we can do.

Vadda said:
Then do it! We're happy to help promote events like that and work with any teams or events but us pushing GRID Autosport as an eSports game doesn't feel right. That's not because it wouldn't work as one but because the best eSport games are those that have been built up by the community that play the game. Traditionally when a game has been designed and marketed for eSports they haven't gone down well with the eSports community. So if it happens awesome, we'll be their to support it :)
I think you (and Vadda) are veering away from the point here. I have no idea what eSport is, since I don't play anything but racing games. So, maybe it's a bit outside the ballpark (or at least this subject area). We are talking about racing games, right? In that regard, Vadda has a point, and I agree with him. Racenet is not a "community" but rather an attempt to either create a community or help the community with some neat-o whiz-bang tools that don't really help organize real racing competition.

What we are talking about is either gathering, help in gathering, or supporting, a group of individuals who want to use your game to play over and over and over, as if they were racing in the real racing series itself. Since these games have not caught on to this trend yet (NASCAR '14 sort of has, and it's helped sales for sure, since their singleplayer is horrid)

Codemasters may have some informal relationships with these leagues, but I suspect it's not anywhere near the level that could benefit both CM and the leagues. Just a few examples, primarily of F1 sites for the console and beyond (non-profit, so people like iRacing and Microsoft sites are excluded):

http://www.xboxracingleague.com/
http://www.totalracingleagues.com/ ("supported" by Codemasters)
http://www.racedepartment.com (YouTube commentary on over 15 weekly virtual races across various platforms combined with credentialed coverage of actual race events and articles about racing topics, along with a healthy forum section and thousands of viewers and members.)
http://apexonlineracing.com/forums/home (similar to RD, but not nearly as platform diverse)

and the list goes on and on. There are many smaller groups and I have personally started one myself, which I have since left to concentrate efforts at RD.

CM, the members of these sites are your greatest advocates and are not "yes" men, like you could have sorely used to get outside your own head when you had the brilliant idea to change GRID to GRID2. They could have saved you hundreds of thousands of dollars. But it has to be a partnership. Maybe you could provide them with some way to structure their leagues through your games, or maybe you could provide incentives and prizes for the series winners of CM games, or maybe you could give them some inside access to upcoming titles, breaking news, or exclusive interviews. I don't know...be creative, right? That's what you all try to do daily is it not?

As Vadda hinted at...stop trying to force people into a "net" where there is really nothing to do, no real organization, and no depth. You have the structures already out there, you just have to work with them and give up the idea that you can create and control them.

So if it happens awesome, we'll be their to support it :)
HA!...HA!...HA!!

@_Original Poster: This game isn't featuring dedis. What's more, they aren't giving us even the necessary files to run our own without the need of master servers. Not to mention there is no LAN, etc.

So you ain't joking when you talk about running leagues for this game?