DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

EA and DiRT Rally - What do we think will happen?

My concerns:

Codemasters bought the rights to the full WRC franchise starting in 2023 which made it unlikely there was going to be another DiRT 2.0 Style game until then. The question then becomes will EA even proceed with WRC at all.  I assumed CM's WRC would replace and absorb the DiRT Rally series and make THE definitive rally game with official cars, drivers, and the potential  to have historics that included having the likes of Makkinen, McRae, Saintz etc. similar to the Prost v Senna style release. Problem is EA isn't real big on "niche" markets and we who love to Rally aren't going to be seen as a viable source of income.  They've mangled Madden, given up on PGA, and let's not forget......ugh.....Anthem!

I also have a feeling (and I stress it's just a feeling) that a big reason behind EA acquiring codemasters was the added benefit of a partnership with the FIA as they try to make Formula 1 more mainstream and accessible based on the upcoming changes.  I think that is where their priorities will be and not making rally games.  I hope I'm wrong.

• Sad 1

@AnwaanJiimiz

It was my understanding that the next Dirt Rally entry would release before any potential Codemasters' WRC game. Hopefully whoever acquires Codemasters, leaves the rally team alone so that they can make the awesome sim-focused rally games that they want to.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
edited to be more positive

If Dirt titles have made money through the years and made the name Codemasters ,then there is hope that EAs pencil pushers will see it as such, and keep it going.If it wasnt lucrative, we are ****** ....................just my opinion.

• Agree 1

Instead of immediately jumping on the negative, maybe a more level discussion can be had here instead 😉 

FYI: I currently know nothing other than what's in the news, though I'm generally opposed to excess negativity on forums and prefer constructive discussions.

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Instead of immediately jumping on the negative, maybe a more level discussion can be had here instead 😉 

FYI: I currently know nothing other than what's in the news, though I'm generally opposed to excess negativity on forums and prefer constructive discussions.

But the negative's too much fun!

Oh alright, alright:

- Serious cash and resources/tech injection. So night-time lighting can finally look current-gen.

And a better brand of rain noodles at launch, like gourmet italian.

With EA in the game, Codemasters maybe not need to focus on their own Engine development, but can use an EA engine for their next gen games.
So resources can be shifted towards other parts, like physics, cars, etc.

Also Codies aquired Slightly Mad Studios, and now with EA in the game, both those companies seem to be quite good in licensing and maybe also have better connections/entries at manufacturers. So that might be positive for future cars in the game.

It is quite fearefull though that the big EA takes over our beloved Codemasters.
I think because that is the lack of info of what EA would want to do with Codemasters and its games / IPs.
As lot of times with these kind of investments or from private equity companies, is that they keep / sell / stop / invest in parts, depening on their potential and risk. 
Basically i think DiRT Rally and normal DiRT Arcady be kept and be invested in, while a GRID and Project CARS will be reviewed and made a strategy about. Both games are similar and not the best and not really have a clear vision what to be.

Btw, another possible positive is that Codies get investments and can bring more beautiful games. A few months ago I showed @PJTierney a game concept which is a spinoff from GRID, like DiRT Rally is a spinoff from DiRT/CMR. Maybe Codies have multiple ideas/concepts/IPs laying around, but due to limited resources, these can't be researched or created. 

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, JorritVD said:

Btw, another possible positive is that Codies get investments and can bring more beautiful games. A few months ago I showed @PJTierney a game concept which is a spinoff from GRID, like DiRT Rally is a spinoff from DiRT/CMR. Maybe Codies have multiple ideas/concepts/IPs laying around, but due to limited resources, these can't be researched or created. 

Now that is truly positive thinking!

I still want Dirt Retro to be made.

A 16 bit retro rally with rpg elements. So, an RRRpg.

EA execs, DM me if this floats your Citroen DS, I have a stack of design concepts for it ok fine

• Haha 1

On 12/18/2020 at 12:52 PM, JorritVD said:

With EA in the game, Codemasters maybe not need to focus on their own Engine development, but can use an EA engine for their next gen games.
So resources can be shifted towards other parts, like physics, cars, etc.

Also Codies aquired Slightly Mad Studios, and now with EA in the game, both those companies seem to be quite good in licensing and maybe also have better connections/entries at manufacturers. So that might be positive for future cars in the game.

It is quite fearefull though that the big EA takes over our beloved Codemasters.
I think because that is the lack of info of what EA would want to do with Codemasters and its games / IPs.
As lot of times with these kind of investments or from private equity companies, is that they keep / sell / stop / invest in parts, depening on their potential and risk. 
Basically i think DiRT Rally and normal DiRT Arcady be kept and be invested in, while a GRID and Project CARS will be reviewed and made a strategy about. Both games are similar and not the best and not really have a clear vision what to be.

Yeah this really is the best case scenario. More cash, a full spec next-gen engine to replace ego.

But while the main dirt series and project cars are given brands that I think EA will want to milk/invest in, the less cash cow ones are always at risk when being bought. 

Will the WRC license be aimed to be an arcadey touch, or go the dirt rally route of realism? I can easily see WRC getting arcadey, and will Dirt Rally 3.0 see the light of day? DR really is one of those passion projects that EA really don't care about. Does it rake in enough cash for it to not be ripped to shreds by EA?

F1 might get a bit more budget so VR can be added as a default feature (it's quite silly not to, to be honest)... or it can get more arcadey to sell more. 

While it might be a good move for Codies as a company in a financial sense, I still fear for the simulation style games of codies. As a big fan of DR that makes me at least a bit worried.

Yeah the positivity is nice but you have to be real and look at EA's history. Like 25 years of destruction. I've seen many franchises be killed by EA and they all start with the same "but at least money won't be a problem". Well no, but you trade it out for soul. And without a soul, your franchise dies. There's no doubt in my mind that it will kill the DiRT Rally series in due time. Perhaps we're lucky and DR3 comes out good, though.

For me, all Codies games are DOI from now on unless proven otherwise.

Edited by chukonu

Good to see optimism in the team, but experience tells me that time will prove me right.

its great to see ross has posted. hope its genuine. if you think logically why would you change a winning recipe ? it makes no sense. the problem often is money. we will see how legit things turn out later on.

often after big companies get took over there is a clearing out. restructure.

you will probably tell in the next game how this will turn out. one thing to know is people involved in projects or cm will always be commited to project positivity, its their job!

its going to be interesting to see how this plays out. hopefully everyone is genuine and we get great better games !

3 hours ago, dgeesi0 said:

its great to see ross has posted. hope its genuine. if you think logically why would you change a winning recipe ? it makes no sense. the problem often is money. we will see how legit things turn out later on.

you will probably tell in the next game how this will turn out. one thing to know is people involved in projects or cm will always be commited to project positivity, its their job!

its going to be interesting to see how this plays out. hopefully everyone is genuine and we get great better games !

On 12/22/2020 at 7:00 PM, dgeesi0 said:

Correct, if they're smart they'll keep things mostly as is and only try to help with some injection of funds to expand features/team.  However; what happens with investors often is that they want a specific  growth rate year over year from every venture. (or bi yearly)  This, if it happens, could start to trigger counter productive changes.   I am quite sure DR3 will be fine.  I am more concerned for down the road.