AI behavior in qualifying

AI behavior in qualifying needs an improvement. It makes no sense that only drivers from the drop zone are going out for the second lap in Q1 and Q2. Also why are AI drivers still doing their laps after the session has finished? The other issue is their behavior in mixed conditions. I had a situation when in Q3 conditions changed and inters became faster than wets. AI went out on wets and before finishing their flying laps every driver went into the pits and session finished. Then on the result screen they had 2 seconds faster lap times like if they did another lap althought the session was  already over. It's an annoying issue and it has been in the game for a while. The easiest solution would be an option not to finish the session and jump to the results screen right after the timer goes out. Just give additional 2 minutes to let AI finish the lap or the player to do the in lap. AI clearly goes crazy while fast forwarding the time and after the session ends. These issues are ruining the game and the solution is quite straightforward in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Regarding pilots who do not attempt a second round in Q1 and Q2, we already have an open report, this one with the developers for correction.

Edited by Gladystonff

On 12/15/2020 at 11:18 PM, KierownikGD said:

AI behavior in qualifying needs an improvement. It makes no sense that only drivers from the drop zone are going out for the second lap in Q1 and Q2. Also why are AI drivers still doing their laps after the session has finished? The other issue is their behavior in mixed conditions. I had a situation when in Q3 conditions changed and inters became faster than wets. AI went out on wets and before finishing their flying laps every driver went into the pits and session finished. Then on the result screen they had 2 seconds faster lap times like if they did another lap althought the session was  already over. It's an annoying issue and it has been in the game for a while. The easiest solution would be an option not to finish the session and jump to the results screen right after the timer goes out. Just give additional 2 minutes to let AI finish the lap or the player to do the in lap. AI clearly goes crazy while fast forwarding the time and after the session ends. These issues are ruining the game and the solution is quite straightforward in my opinion.

I find that it is more than just those in the drop zone who go out for another lap. On average it is around 7 - 10 cars who go for a second lap in my games. Also, what I do in Qualifying is I press the flying lap button for my first run but on my second run I always drive out and make sure every other car is in front of me and I am the last to set a lap time. I also try to make sure I cross the line to start my lap with as little time left in the session as possible. This way I am able to tell, normally somewhere in the final sector exactly how much I need to do in order to get through as everyone else will have finished by that point.

If you hit pause and go to race director it will have the word finished next to the names of those who either stayed in the garage or have completed their lap. I am also able to tell if I have already done enough and can come straight back to the pits to save on tyre life.

The fast forwarding issue is something I have personally known about since 2010, this is why I only fast forward when there are no cars on track or they are on an out lap.

Also, AI finish their laps after the session timer has ended as that is part of the F1 rules. If you start a lap before the end of the session you can finish it. See my point above about my second run in a Qualifying session about how to combat this.

Hoping this helps you.

Edited by Y2Kev
Extra information

The AI are more or less broken in quali it's not just the fast forward or not going out. They are far too aggressive on out and inlaps and on rails, the drivers irl take a long time on the outlaps and make gaps for themselves whereas the AI in this game don't. I go as easy as possible out and in as I'm using tyres that I will either start the race on, or potentially use on race day. I just had Verstappen try to overtake me in the pit entry at Russia, he turned in late, ran alongside me and hit the wall head on, terminal damage. Then there is the issue of them slowing and running alongside when you're trying to let them pass. I end up blocking them as it's too much hassle, I've no idea if they are on a flying lap or not as they are going nearly flat out regardless.