I get the penalty???

Perhaps I'm late to this party, I'm new to the world of virtual F1.  I'm playing a career with my own racing team which I'm having a blast with.  However, the penalty system is super demoralizing.  Why do I get penalties for other cars running into me?  If it's my bad I get that, but it seems every other race during practice or qualifying a car runs into me and I get a penalty.  As a result I have to reset the practice and start over because it's total bs.

7 hours ago, Brofski said:

Perhaps I'm late to this party, I'm new to the world of virtual F1.  I'm playing a career with my own racing team which I'm having a blast with.  However, the penalty system is super demoralizing.  Why do I get penalties for other cars running into me?  If it's my bad I get that, but it seems every other race during practice or qualifying a car runs into me and I get a penalty.  As a result I have to reset the practice and start over because it's total bs.

Do you have video footage you can upload? On the occasions I do have contact there is normally a warning applied to one or both drivers. Penalties are usually kept for bigger incidents or multiple offenders. Also, if you are new you may not realise this, the game does have a flashback system where you can rewind back a few seconds. This would save you having to restart a session on an occasion where you felt you wanted to do a flashback instead of restarting.

Yes, I do get warnings sometimes.  My penalties usually come following a flying lap where I'm not driving as fast.  I try my best to stay out of people's way but the AI does some really dumb and unexpected things at times.  It's frustrating to get a penalty when I've done nothing wrong.  I have just recently learned about the flashback system but have not tried it yet.

To be fair, while the AI does dumb stuff sometimes, it does assume you drive in a similar way they do. So if you make an unexpected move they will run into you. And in this case if you are driving slowly on the racing line I do think it's fair you also get a penalty. I don't know how slow you're driving but after a hotlap I also take it easy and stay on the racing line but I never have AI's running into me.

I stay off the racing line as much as possible.  I have discovered how to use flashback so this problem is officially solved.  If I do something dumb I'll take the penalty otherwise I flashback.