DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Roads are too small/skinny

I know a lot of the hardcore DR1 fans wanted smaller roads for DR2, but there was a reason why DR1 was so popular. I have never in my entire life heard somebody say "you know what? If Dirt Rally 1 wasn't so easy, I would have enjoyed it". It was only the people who spent 2000 hours in the game, who mastered every location. I am watching incredibly experienced sim racers play DR2, and they are smashing the car off of obstacles every single run. I can link you to 100 videos of this. If they can barley make it to the finish line, how do you think new sim racers are faring?

The roads are not much wider than the vehicles in most places. Perhaps for DR3, we can make the roads even smaller, and just have a competition to see who can keep at least 2 wheels on the road at all times? Probably not the greatest idea for DR3, since we're pretty much already doing that now.

If you make a game for hardcore fans of the first title, you will find very few people playing the second title, and even fewer playing the third. I don't really know any new sim racers who are playing DR2. The only people I know who play it, are again, the people who spent 1000+ hours in DR1. Not very many to say the least.

• Disagree 2

I have seen people requesting more narrow stages but not sure I have seen anyone ask for wider stages until you just did. I never played Dirt Rally before playing Dirt Rally 2.0 and only recently purchased the first Dirt Rally for comparison along with Dirt 4. I don't feel like the roads need to be wider at all. If they were wider, I think it would be less representative of most real rally locations/stages. Rally is difficult and it doesn't surprise me that some people will crash quite frequently until they get their rally legs underneath them. I don't think that the majority of most stages are barely wider than the vehicles in Dirt Rally 2.0 either. They seem plenty wide to me. For me, rally is about knowing when to push and when to slow down to preserve the car. I wouldn't consider myself an extremely experienced sim racer, but I manage to get the car to the end of each stage without much damage, if any, most of the time. Sometimes I have a decent crash but it's not often. I ranked 102 for rally and 103 for RX overall (all platforms filter) in the last DR 2.0 world series qualifier that I participated in so I have decent pace as well. I didn't participate in the most recent one though because I was doing other things. I'm not putting that in there to brag, just to show that my lack of frequent crashing isn't because I am driving slowly. Clearly, there are many people quicker than I am. Also when you say experienced sim racer, that seems rather broad to me. If someone primarily plays circuit racers like ACC, rFactor 2, AMS2, etc that doesn't automatically mean they will be good at or have proper experience with rally. Some people can drive anything and be quick but I think most people need time and experience with each specific racing discipline. I am not very good at circuit racers but do okay in Dirt Rally 2.0 because I have played it since shortly after launch. I was pretty bad at Dirt Rally 2.0 when I first started playing it. After I got the hang of it, it became one of the most rewarding racing games I have ever played. Many sim racers that I follow usually only play rally games when they first come out and do very few if any videos/streams on them after that. It seems like they just do them for views and then move back to their circuit based sims. There is nothing wrong with that but I don't think that is representative of the skills of someone that consistently plays rally games. The ones that I see consistently playing rally games well after release are fantastic, have little trouble keeping the vehicles on the stages and are even setting world records in some cases. If they water down the next game to make it easier for people that play games for a short period of time and move on, I think they will lose more people than they gain. After all, Dirt Rally is a sim and not an arcade game. If people don't want a significant challenge then a rally sim probably isn't for them. Real rally is one of the toughest motorsports on the planet. This series is going after realism and the real rally that I watch has some pretty narrow stages. To me, making stages wider and easier would be the opposite of what the Dirt Rally games are trying to simulate (Real Rally). I will say that I think there is a place for wider, easier stages and that should have remained with the numbered Dirt games. I was sad to see stage rally removed from the numbered Dirt games. I think there is still a place for an easier, laid back form of rally for those that don't want the challenge of a rally sim. Dirt Rally and the future CM WRC games should definitely remain sim though. Having an easy Dirt Rally and CM WRC game would be somewhat of an oxymoron because there is nothing easy about rally.

Edited by FlatOverCrest
  • Agree 2

Posted (edited)
On 12/26/2020 at 8:32 PM, ShadyBrady6 said:

I know a lot of the hardcore DR1 fans wanted smaller roads for DR2, but there was a reason why DR1 was so popular. I have never in my entire life heard somebody say "you know what? If Dirt Rally 1 wasn't so easy, I would have enjoyed it". It was only the people who spent 2000 hours in the game, who mastered every location. I am watching incredibly experienced sim racers play DR2, and they are smashing the car off of obstacles every single run. I can link you to 100 videos of this. If they can barley make it to the finish line, how do you think new sim racers are faring?

The roads are not much wider than the vehicles in most places. Perhaps for DR3, we can make the roads even smaller, and just have a competition to see who can keep at least 2 wheels on the road at all times? Probably not the greatest idea for DR3, since we're pretty much already doing that now.

If you make a game for hardcore fans of the first title, you will find very few people playing the second title, and even fewer playing the third. I don't really know any new sim racers who are playing DR2. The only people I know who play it, are again, the people who spent 1000+ hours in DR1. Not very many to say the least.

lol Dirt Rally 2.0 is the 3rd most played racing sim on steam behind Assetto Corsa and F1 2020...Sometimes it will trade places With ACC. 

And what do you mean there will be less people playing the second title and so forth?  ummm... There are more people playing the second dirt rally more than the first? So I dont know where you're getting your ideas from.

iracing always has thousands of people watching it on twitch but the game itself has less then a few hundred people A MONTH actually playing it. Dirt Rally 2.0 is the opposite of that. Not a lot of people watch or stream it but its got thousands more people playing it every day. 

Bro. If you're bad at the game that's okay, but to trying to convince people that the game is bad and needs to be "fixed" or Dirt Rally 3.0 will fail as your own indirect way to vent your frustration is honestly lame. Should sim studios not add narrow circuits to their games like Monaco and Nordschleife for their success too? 

Saying that the game is going in the wrong direction with its realistic narrow stages while its clearly going in the right direction because you dont see big sim streamers primarily stream DR2.0 on twitch and youtube therefore the roads are too narrow would be plain silly if you weren't actually trying to push a serious argument... 

The roads are narrow because that's what they are in real life. And honestly the DR2.0 aren't even that narrow!  Go take a look at some of the RBRngp modded stages. Codemasters balls still has a ways to drop before they reach real rally levels of narrowness in their games. 

Edited by Orangetuner
  • Agree 1

The issue is lack of fov adjustment on console, making the roads seem too narrow.

Wrc9 has fov adjustment on console, making narrower stages more manageable than the ones in dirt rally 2 with its fixed fov.

Mind you in saying that I love dirt rally even with its less than ideal fov for my 32” monitor just behind steering wheel.

Stages are wide enough and I play on ps4 ,id honestly like to see tighter stages so there's very little room for error. Just look at monte today some of the roads were just about the width of the car

Yeah I see very few people commenting that they want WIDER stages.  As a matter of fact so far I have only seen 2, and those were on this forum.  Better drivers have all asked for locations with narrower roads.  AFAIK also Finland stages have been artificially widened.

DR series is not meant to be forced easy on people, that's the Dirt franchise.  Either way, I'd bet Codies dont have plans to make new events with artificially widened roads.  They're very likely to stick to realistic rally things as almost all feedback they are getting that I have seen is asking for things to be more real.

Edited by bn880
  • Agree 2