Jump to content Jump to content

Using Reverb G2, constant dropped frames :(


Go to solution Solved by CMPJTierney,

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, RagingBeard said:

I appreciate the long reply, but this issue isn't related to performance as has been discussed. Dropped frame occur at low settings and resolution in the G2, but do not occur on the same system using a different headset with very high settings and resolution.

Exactly this. Thank you for your thinking together with us Ialyrn, we really appreciate your message but it isn't a performance issue at all. If you read our messages again then you can read there that with the lowest possible settings, even lower then the lowest preset(so manually put on the LOWEST POSSIBLE) in combination with 50%/50% resolution in Steam(looks like Wolfenstein 3D) and NO cmaa/msaa at all; it still lags/stutters. That are technically the lowest possible settings. This with an 3080 + 9700K clocked at 5ghz. I, of course, also tried the hardwaresettings tweak, this didn't make any difference. So it's very VERY clear, that no matter what setting we choose, it keeps stuttering/flickering/lagging in a MASSIVE way. Please understand this.

The issue is clearly at Codemasters side, this since all other SteamVR games run flawlessly on our systems, including even Assetto Corsa Competizione which is known as the "worst game" in terms of performance for VR in general(besides DR2...). It can only be fixed by an bugfix/support from Codemasters, which they said that they refuse to give. This while the G2 is the best headset on the market for simracing at this moment, so it's very difficult to understand their point of view.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thread. I moved from CV1 to G2 and have lived with 3 months now of playing (and streaming) DR2 with the G2. I would agree with much of what’s been said here already and low frame rate in some places continues to be an issue. However, on the point of stuttering specifically, I think this really comes back to all the USB issues surrounding G2. In my case, the stuttering stopped when I changed from a Silverstone add-in pcie card to the Inateck pcie card recommended for Oculus (I needed an add-in card because none of my X570 ports work with G2 and I still want pcie 4.0 enabled for my SSD). It’s a great headset but only really settled down for me once that card was swapped. Now it’s just the usual case of balancing resolution and in-game settings to manage frame rate. I should say by the way, I’m on a 2080 Super (Studio drivers) and so I do sympathise with 30 series people struggling with driver issues right now. 

Edited by FusionJohn
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, GuusHugo said:

@Ialyrn & FusionJohn

Thank you for your great input. I ordered the powered PCI-E Inateck 3.0 card on the advice of you both. I will keep this thread updated with my findings!

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. The 3080 is obviously an awesome GPU and really should give good smooth game play in DR2. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please understand this is not a performance or USB issue. I think some people are joining in on this thread and not reading previous posts. 

In short, the dropped frames we are referring to happen even at low settings and only in the G2 (perhaps other WMR) playing DR 1 or 2. The dropped frames do not occur in any other game, or using other headsets even at much higher graphics and resolution. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RagingBeard said:

Please understand this is not a performance or USB issue. I think some people are joining in on this thread and not reading previous posts. 

In short, the dropped frames we are referring to happen even at low settings and only in the G2 (perhaps other WMR) playing DR 1 or 2. The dropped frames do not occur in any other game, or using other headsets even at much higher graphics and resolution. 

Hi Raging Beard. I do understand the dropped frame issue and I totally agree DR2 has that, regardless of settings. I also see it with my G2, especially some locations much worse than others. I did read through previous posts and I’m not disagreeing with any of it. I just wanted to throw my own experience in on the specific point of stutter, as I had lots of trouble with that until recently. I wish I could hit a solid 90 FPS without frame drops and I would welcome any future update that could achieve that. For now though, I’m just pleased to be able to play and stream the game without stutter, as that’s like trying to drive with someone flashing postcards of the road in front of the eyes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RagingBeard said:

Please understand this is not a performance or USB issue. I think some people are joining in on this thread and not reading previous posts. 

In short, the dropped frames we are referring to happen even at low settings and only in the G2 (perhaps other WMR) playing DR 1 or 2. The dropped frames do not occur in any other game, or using other headsets even at much higher graphics and resolution. 

We all have issues running this game in VR, it was never handled well by CodeMasters. Lets face it, they didnt even want to add VR into DR2.0; they never saw it as a valuble feature to add. VR in this game only happened because of Oculus, probably due to all the social media spam they was all getting when DR2.0 and its lack of VR support was first annouced.

Me and FusionJohn fully understand where you are coming from and the issues you are facing. I even stated that the experiance on Oculus isnt even perfect. All I am doing is pointing you in a couple of directions you may not have originally thought of, just in case it allows you to get the game on your system to a playable enough state while something else is figured out, or some other rally game appears with a hopefully better VR implementation.

With regards to my mentioning the USB thing, as said in my last post. Its actually really difficult to tell if it is part of the problem or not. I only knew it was a problem in my case, as I have multiple computers which I have used VR on. There can be any number of things that can crop up with the USB on the motherboard, such as not sending enough power to the connected device. Not enough bandwidth. The VR headset not liking the specific driver the USB controller uses. This is why swapping out to a PCI-E USB 3.0/3.1 card can help, even if you dont thing USB is an issue. Hell, some games might even run perfectly fine on while you are using the onboard USB. I was able to run Beatsaber without an issue before I got the PCI-E usb card. Couldnt race in Dirt Rally 2 on my new computer though, couldnt even run bog standard Assetto Corsa.

Given how low cost a PCI-E USB 3.0 card is though, its something I always recommend to anyone heading into VR, and something I mention to anyone who uses VR and is having problems.

Hell, even running a breakaway cable extension for USB and display can cause issues, especially with display port VR headsets. Get the wrong cables for an extension, or get poor qualty cables. You will be lucky if the device will even run.

When it comes to VR, you literally cant discount anything. Its newer tech, still in its infancy. And it is buggy as hell. If VR was a horse, it would be a throughbred with how temperamental it is.

End of the day, it is up to you if you want to try any of the things that have been suggested. I felt I had something valuble to add to your discussion in regards to troubleshooting, and I will always reach out to others to help them where possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@FusionJohn @Ialyrn Hey, sorry I didn't mean to sound ungrateful or anything, I do appreciate you both (and everyone) helping to solve issues. I remember when DR1 was new I did indeed have a USB issue, and of course DR2 is a heavy hitter on performance. I just wanted to clarify there is evidence of a separate issue here, and sadly one it seems we may never get a solution to.

I feel that perhaps one day we will, but it will more than likely be a lucky symptom of an update in WMR/SteamVR or whatever, and nothing intentionally meant for DR2.

  • Agree 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2021 at 7:38 PM, FusionJohn said:

Good luck, I hope it works out for you. The 3080 is obviously an awesome GPU and really should give good smooth game play in DR2. 

I've received the Inateck SATA powered USB 3.0 card today. It doesn't make ANY difference at all. The stuttering/jittering/flickering is EXACTLY the same. At the lowest possible settings. So now it is VERY clear that this issue is not USB related at all(as RagingBeard already expected, but now it's proven).

22 hours ago, RagingBeard said:

@FusionJohn @Ialyrn Hey, sorry I didn't mean to sound ungrateful or anything, I do appreciate you both (and everyone) helping to solve issues. I remember when DR1 was new I did indeed have a USB issue, and of course DR2 is a heavy hitter on performance. I just wanted to clarify there is evidence of a separate issue here, and sadly one it seems we may never get a solution to. 

I feel that perhaps one day we will, but it will more than likely be a lucky symptom of an update in WMR/SteamVR or whatever, and nothing intentionally meant for DR2.

I fully agree with that, I think that that's our only hope(lucky symptom) because until now we got ZERO support from Codemasters. Which is more then pity because the Reverb G2 is THE leading VR simracing headset at this moment, but Codemasters don't seem to care about this.

Any input is welcome, but performance suggestions and USB suggestions are marked off the list... the solution to the bug/issue clearly has to be searched for elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear the card didn’t help you bud. At least you’ve confirmed 100% it isn’t a factor. I hope you find a workable solution somehow because I doubt Codemasters will produce an update for this. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am wondering why I was able to get a (relatively) smooth experience after the updates and trying the steps/settings in my earlier post. My hardware seems similar to others having issues. There are so damn many bits of software required and multiple variables in each of those it seems futile to even try to track it down.

I still get some dropped frames and purples even with ample performance headroom. Mainly occurs on courses with dense forests. It also still happens in AMS 2 only during rain.

 

I'm sure it will just take one update to break what I have now so I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Well... couldn't resist the microcenter price for a 10900kf so I upgraded my cpu and mobo. Before I was 3090 with 8700k over clock on z390, now I am 3090 10900k (stock for now) and z490. Almost all my frame drop issues have gone away. Still get a couple during those loading screen changes but during actual gameplay it is very smooth. Even the frame dropping when at the start around spectators has gone down dramatically. 

Unfortunately I know this isn't much help. A) Too many things changed for me to pinpoint it. Just as likely it was the CPU as it was being able to use the usb c port on the back of the z490 mobo. B) I believe a couple of you guys had similar CPU and still had problems.

I will try to post my settings later. I am pretty happy with how the game looks. It is easier to focus on how much better the G2 looks than my old Asus WMR now that I'm not distracted by constant frame drops. I still feel like needing a 3090 and 10900k to get to that point is a little ridiculous and shows how poorly optimized the game is but it is what it is and we can just hope more emphasis will be put on it in the future releases.

Good luck.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, djbutcher13 said:

Well... couldn't resist the microcenter price for a 10900kf so I upgraded my cpu and mobo. Before I was 3090 with 8700k over clock on z390, now I am 3090 10900k (stock for now) and z490. Almost all my frame drop issues have gone away. Still get a couple during those loading screen changes but during actual gameplay it is very smooth. Even the frame dropping when at the start around spectators has gone down dramatically. 

Unfortunately I know this isn't much help. A) Too many things changed for me to pinpoint it. Just as likely it was the CPU as it was being able to use the usb c port on the back of the z490 mobo. B) I believe a couple of you guys had similar CPU and still had problems.

I will try to post my settings later. I am pretty happy with how the game looks. It is easier to focus on how much better the G2 looks than my old Asus WMR now that I'm not distracted by constant frame drops. I still feel like needing a 3090 and 10900k to get to that point is a little ridiculous and shows how poorly optimized the game is but it is what it is and we can just hope more emphasis will be put on it in the future releases.

Good luck.

That is a GREAT posting, thank you for sharing this. I was almost into buying a other motherboard because of this issue(since I really tried everything to get this working). Your post encourage me to follow this path but now I'm thinking that the CPU also has to be replaced... Since a other motherboard for this CPU would probably give the same issue(not sure but higher chance...). It's a huge step for 1 game because the 9700K@5ghz is fast enough for me for everything. But fyi; I'm now also using the USB-C port on my Z390 motherboard...

EDIT: From what I read here do 2 other people also have Intel, but still have the same problem. RagingBeard has the i9 10850K and Jaggers271 the i9-9900KS and both got this problem

BUT the "Ham VR" from the youtube video that got it working has the i9 9900k... So it's not clear at all what it could be. The only thing that I see is that it is all Intel, and that Intel simply sometimes work and sometimes it doesn't work.

So the main new question is: Are there any AMD CPU users that have this problem?

Edited by GuusHugo
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RagingBeard said:

Just to add I have a 10900k, 3090, 32gb on an Asus z490-E and the game is terrible on the G2 at even at very low res due to frame drops, but runs well on Q2 at high res.

When I mentioned about the motherboard USB 3.0 issue with VR headsets, I posted up the exact motherboard I currently use in my main computer. That motherboard will not run a VR headset properly at all through the onboard USB, even a lowely Rift CV1. It cuts out both the sensors and the headset constantly, constant stuttering, the whole host of issues. That motherboard is the exact same one you have. There is only a single motherboard in Asus Z490 range that has the -E designation, and that is the ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming.

I know the powered PCI-E USB 3.0 card didnt work for Guu, but if you havnt tried the PCI-E USB 3.0 card yet; I would highly suggest you actually give it a go. It may not solve every issue you have, but it may get you somewhere there.
 

On 3/5/2021 at 12:49 AM, Ialyrn said:

Desktop system 2 (current gaming rig).-
Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming(VR didnt work well at all on this motherboards USB 3.0. Suffering with stutters and total drop outs).
i7 10700k octa core
16gb (2x8gb) 3200Mhz DDR 4 dual channel ram
RTX 2070 super.

If I had of known sooner you had the exact same motherboard as me, I would have pressed this suggestion more. I couldnt even play beat saber with this motherboard before I got the PCI-E USB 3.0 add in card.

I know you keep saying it isnt a hardware issue, but in this particular motherboards case; you can be sure it isnt helping.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What car is in your video? I want to replicate this on mine. Last night I was messing with setting and dropped SS down to 50% and graphics to lowest with no issues (besides looking like ****). I was able to play on high with 50%ss with no real issues. Are you using any LED control software?

My setup:

R5 3600

B350-F

16GB @ 3600mhz

3080 Gaming OC

HP G2

I am running afterburner, rivatuner, cpu temp, gpu temp, fpsvr.

I have no LED programs like Icue, just the mobo lighting service.

I'll have to confirm what GPU driver I am on but I do use a slimmed version through NVslimmer. No nvidia telemetry ****. No Geforce experience. Maybe worth a shot.

Edited by Racer37
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Racer37 said:

 Are you using any LED control software?

My setup:

R5 3600

B350-F

16GB @ 3600mhz

3080 Gaming OC

HP G2

I am running afterburner, rivatuner, cpu temp, gpu temp, fpsvr.

I have no LED programs like Icue, just the mobo lighting service.

Dang I see there are still many people pulling hairs trying to get this to work, Unfortunately I don't own a HP G2 to compare but I do notice a few of these ASUS boards in the mix. If you didn't try it already disable the ASUS Motherboard lighting device as well (disabling it in the UEFI/BIOS does nothing btw), early on when DR2.0 VR was released I had to disable this one to clear some stuttering on my Dell Visor Mixed Reality headset, apparently codemasters had fixed the USB issue since but I never tested with it re-enabled.

My setup:

R5 3600

ASUS B450-I

16GB @ 3200

Radeon RX 6800 (also previously ran on GeForce GTX 1070 Ti)

Dell Visor WMR headset, currently running SteamVR at 2144x2144

The USB device of the subject:
image.thumb.png.24e868bd1b7aa7e18e2659913db90c83.png

Only other things are that after I did the GPU switch I had some stuttering until I did a removal and re-install of Windows Mixed Reality Portal, SteamVR and the "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" wrapper, that seemed to clear it.

Edited by nbates66
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nbates66 said:

Dang I see there are still many people pulling hairs trying to get this to work, Unfortunately I don't own a HP G2 to compare but I do notice a few of these ASUS boards in the mix. If you didn't try it already disable the ASUS Motherboard lighting device as well (disabling it in the UEFI/BIOS does nothing btw), early on when DR2.0 VR was released I had to disable this one to clear some stuttering on my Dell Visor Mixed Reality headset, apparently codemasters had fixed the USB issue since but I never tested with it re-enabled.

My setup:

R5 3600

ASUS B450-I

16GB @ 3200

Radeon RX 6800 (also previously ran on GeForce GTX 1070 Ti)

Dell Visor WMR headset, currently running SteamVR at 2144x2144

The USB device of the subject:
image.thumb.png.24e868bd1b7aa7e18e2659913db90c83.png

Only other things are that after I did the GPU switch I had some stuttering until I did a removal and re-install of Windows Mixed Reality Portal, SteamVR and the "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" wrapper, that seemed to clear it.

Thank you for your great suggestion, I also had that issue but then with my first old Logitech steering wheel but that was WAY back. I disabled all HID devices already, all besides the G2 and one of the gaming devices (I tried with XBOX controller and of course the Steering wheel(one by one, to see if one of the 2 is causing the issue)). All other devices are disabled, even the keyboard and the mouse. Doesn't make a difference at all. I also disabled all audio devices, also no difference...

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nbates66 said:

Dang I see there are still many people pulling hairs trying to get this to work, Unfortunately I don't own a HP G2 to compare but I do notice a few of these ASUS boards in the mix. If you didn't try it already disable the ASUS Motherboard lighting device as well (disabling it in the UEFI/BIOS does nothing btw), early on when DR2.0 VR was released I had to disable this one to clear some stuttering on my Dell Visor Mixed Reality headset, apparently codemasters had fixed the USB issue since but I never tested with it re-enabled.

My setup:

R5 3600

ASUS B450-I

16GB @ 3200

Radeon RX 6800 (also previously ran on GeForce GTX 1070 Ti)

Dell Visor WMR headset, currently running SteamVR at 2144x2144

The USB device of the subject:
image.thumb.png.24e868bd1b7aa7e18e2659913db90c83.png

Only other things are that after I did the GPU switch I had some stuttering until I did a removal and re-install of Windows Mixed Reality Portal, SteamVR and the "Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR" wrapper, that seemed to clear it.

Sorry I'm saying I don't have any problems running DR2 on my G2. I loaded the same track and car that is in op video and I can run 50% and lowest settings and not drop a single frame. If I up the settings to medium, 4x msaa and 16x AF I dropped 10 frames for the entire stage and only 1 in the distance that he drove. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Racer37 said:

Sorry I'm saying I don't have any problems running DR2 on my G2. I loaded the same track and car that is in op video and I can run 50% and lowest settings and not drop a single frame. If I up the settings to medium, 4x msaa and 16x AF I dropped 10 frames for the entire stage and only 1 in the distance that he drove. 

Ah when I read you had to run at 50% that sounded like 50% resolution, best to just state your actual resulting resolution number instead of percentages because the percentage ends up based off of the headset used and thus can be a useless number.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nbates66 said:

Ah when I read you had to run at 50% that sounded like 50% resolution, best to just state your actual resulting resolution number instead of percentages because the percentage ends up based off of the headset used and thus can be a useless number.

Yes, 50% resolution of my G2. Which is a direct comparison to op headset and their testing method.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...