Jump to content Jump to content

Using Reverb G2, constant dropped frames :(

Go to solution Solved by PJTierney,

4 hours ago, nbates66 said:

Those comparing to the Quest2 - which refresh rate and exact resolution are you running for comparison?

SS 1.7 on oculus so Max resolution 

with G2 213...x..... dropped frame 

with Q2 28....x...... perfect 

and problem with G2 it came overnight , there was indeed an update somewhere that messed up ....

I played it 3 weeks ago with the G2 and everything went very well ....

I managed to get it working. With zero WMR support from codemasters unfortunately. But hereby my support/fix for free after many "unpaid" research!

If you experience problems with DR2 in combination with the 3080/90+Reverb G2 then you need to adjust/check the following:

- XMP must be disabled in the bios (ram settings) and ram must be fully on "Auto", I tried this with 3 different kinds of ram(all 2x8gb (16gb total): cas 15 3600mhz Trident Gskill b-die, cas 16 Gskill ripjaws 3600mhz and patriot 4400mhz cas 18) and 2 different motherboards, and I tried all possible voltages/timing combinations "fixed". Only with the ram FULLY on "Auto" settings it works "stutter/lag free" but only including the other 2 things:

- The Nvidia driver MUST be 456.71, EVERY other release (I tried all, also one version before/after) will break it, then it will stutter again.

- The PCI-E MUST be 16x gen3, if the PCI-E is 4x or 8x (some z390 motherboards support max. 8x pci-e in combination with M2, I had to buy a new motherboard) the stutter is huge. I tried this with TWO different Z390 boards and the result is the same, if I switch my new motherboard back to PCI-e 8x the stuttering is back.

It is true and insane. But if ONE of these things is different !! (other ram setting then "Auto", other Nvidia driver, other PCI-e setting), then the huge purple spikes will occur and the lag is back ON THE LOWEST possible DR2 settings.

BUT with these very specific settings/configuration it is possible to run the game at the following settings: off(crowd/AO)/low(shadows/reflections)/medium(track/details/ground cover etc.)/high settings(high shaders/textures) with 2x MSAA/16AF at ~70-80% resolution including the VR eye accomodation fix(why is also this even "necessary" to make it look good, with proper VR support this shouldn't be necessary) on the Reverb G2 this at full 90fps with reporjection/motion smoothess fully disabled WITHOUT stutters for 99,8% of the time(but still sometimes a very small framedrop). In the end it's all worth it, this game is awesome in VR. But let's hope that next time CodeMasters will fix these bugs and also supports the best/WMR headsets instead of creating this enormous mess.

Just to make it very clear in case you think that something is wrong with my setup: All other titles run perfect WITHOUT these specific settings on the same machine. AC/ACC/AMS2/any other VR title runs flawless here (at high/epic settings/high resolution 90fps stutter free/without reprojection) but this WITH XMP ON/the latest Nvidia driver/PCI-E at 8x, ONLY DR2 needs to have these very specific settings to get it running without HUGE CONSTANT lagspikes. So it's about 5 minutes work before I can launch DR2, since I have to switch these settings every single time before launching DR2... but for regular users this isn't doable, I just found this out because I'm insane.

So let's hope that DR3 will come with real VR support for all headsets.

Edited by GuusHugo
On 4/20/2021 at 12:27 AM, GuusHugo said:

I managed to get it working. With zero WMR support from codemasters unfortunately. But hereby my support/fix for free after many "unpaid" research!

If you experience problems with DR2 in combination with the 3080/90+Reverb G2 then you need to adjust/check the following:

- XMP must be disabled in the bios (ram settings) and ram must be fully on "Auto", I tried this with 3 different kinds of ram(all 2x8gb (16gb total): cas 15 3600mhz Trident Gskill b-die, cas 16 Gskill ripjaws 3600mhz and patriot 4400mhz cas 18) and 2 different motherboards, and I tried all possible voltages/timing combinations "fixed". Only with the ram FULLY on "Auto" settings it works "stutter/lag free" but only including the other 2 things:

- The Nvidia driver MUST be 456.71, EVERY other release (I tried all, also one version before/after) will break it, then it will stutter again.

- The PCI-E MUST be 16x gen3, if the PCI-E is 4x or 8x (some z390 motherboards support max. 8x pci-e in combination with M2, I had to buy a new motherboard) the stutter is huge. I tried this with TWO different Z390 boards and the result is the same, if I switch my new motherboard back to PCI-e 8x the stuttering is back.

It is true and insane. But if ONE of these things is different !! (other ram setting then "Auto", other Nvidia driver, other PCI-e setting), then the huge purple spikes will occur and the lag is back ON THE LOWEST possible DR2 settings.

BUT with these very specific settings/configuration it is possible to run the game at the following settings: off(crowd/AO)/low(shadows/reflections)/medium(track/details/ground cover etc.)/high settings(high shaders/textures) with 2x MSAA/16AF at ~70-80% resolution including the VR eye accomodation fix(why is also this even "necessary" to make it look good, with proper VR support this shouldn't be necessary) on the Reverb G2 this at full 90fps with reporjection/motion smoothess fully disabled WITHOUT stutters for 99,8% of the time(but still sometimes a very small framedrop). In the end it's all worth it, this game is awesome in VR. But let's hope that next time CodeMasters will fix these bugs and also supports the best/WMR headsets instead of creating this enormous mess.

Just to make it very clear in case you think that something is wrong with my setup: All other titles run perfect WITHOUT these specific settings on the same machine. AC/ACC/AMS2/any other VR title runs flawless here (at high/epic settings/high resolution 90fps stutter free/without reprojection) but this WITH XMP ON/the latest Nvidia driver/PCI-E at 8x, ONLY DR2 needs to have these very specific settings to get it running without HUGE CONSTANT lagspikes. So it's about 5 minutes work before I can launch DR2, since I have to switch these settings every single time before launching DR2... but for regular users this isn't doable, I just found this out because I'm insane.

So let's hope that DR3 will come with real VR support for all headsets.

When I originally posted in this thread, you said there was nothing wrong with your hardware; yet you now admit you have changed entire motherboards and ram and found that you can now run DR2 on your setup. And now you can run DR2 in VR.............

With regards to ingame settings, you need to ditch the ingame multisampling compeltely, its a known FPS killer. You want to turn off "screen space reflections", and set "night light" and "Vehicle Details" to "low".

As said previously, those options hamper FPS significantly. Vehicle Details negative effects in VR come into play when the car lights are turned on specifically.

It is also benifical to set any option with a "replay only" option, to either that or "off".

Reflections, Shadows, and Mirrors are the next benificial options to reduce in order to provide extra headroom in VR.

Try not to have any setting on "Ultra".

Given Codemasters still wont add VR into the F1 series, I would be highly surprised if VR is added in any future rally titles. But I do agree, in future VR games need to support WMR, Oculus, and SteamVR. But that is a lot of work for 3 seperate VR platforms.

On 4/21/2021 at 8:27 AM, Ialyrn said:

When I originally posted in this thread, you said there was nothing wrong with your hardware; yet you now admit you have changed entire motherboards and ram and found that you can now run DR2 on your setup. And now you can run DR2 in VR.............

There is and WAS NOTHING wrong with my hardware/previous motherboard.

My OLD setup WITH my other motherboard runs EVERYTHING besides DR2 in VR FLAWLESSLY on ultra high settings/everything works and WORKED like it should BESIDES DR2 in VR with my new AND old motherboard. This including VR titles such as ACC (in the highest possible settings, zero framedrops at 90fps without repro) , AMS2 (super high settings too) and 2D games as BFV with Ray Tracing at 100+fps  AND DR2 in 4K 2D Ultra etc. NOTHING besides DR2 in VR gave problems with this setup with PCI-e at 8x. If this game was coded properly, then the 8x pci-e bandwidth would have maybe caused a small fps drop compared to 16x maybe, but it should NEVER create an unplayable situation at the lowest possible settings. This simply happens because the VR in DR2 isn't fully developed(as stated by PJ Thierney, they don't fully support VR in DR2, they DON'T fix bugs that are WMR related). I thought that I wrote that clearly, but you didn't seem to read or understand this. I hope that this is clear now.

DR2 in VR is so buggy that I had to make such HUGE extremely specific changes to get it working. The only game that is so extremely buggy that it only runs with such specific settings is DR2 in VR(XMP off/PCI-e 16x(that 8x doesn't work at all) AND a specific Nvidia driver version). And not only for me but also for MANY other as you can read here and in other threads! I try to help them out here, so they know that if they are as dedicated as me, that they can find a way to get it working! Can you not understand this?? My setup is not broken, the VR support in this game is broken. Why do you, despite of what I wrote suggest that something was wrong with my previous motherboard? My motherbord didn't run higher then PCI-e 8x, more was not SUPPORTED by that motherboard. But EVERY other game then DR2 in VR runned perfect with it, ONLY DR2 in VR is so buggy that it only runs with PCI-e 16x and that with 8x it ALWAYS even at 10% resolution and the lowest possible settings keep stuttering. This while all other games ran perfect with this old motherboard. So this is more then clearly NOT an hardware issue, this is CLEARLY an issue with DR2 in VR, since EVERY SINGLE OTHER GAME isn't picky regarding this subject AT ALL.

I bought this new motherboard not because something was wrong with it !

But I bought this new motherboard specific to get DR2 in VR working within the bugs that it has ! I bought it for THIS GAME ONLY. It is worth it for me, but nothing was wrong with my old motherboard. The VR in this game is simply so undeveloped that I had to do something like this.

" With regards to ingame settings, you need to ditch the ingame multisampling compeltely, its a known FPS killer. You want to turn off "screen space reflections", and set "night light" and "Vehicle Details" to "low". "

Thank you for your advice but I don't agree with this. I got it running now, as I said, with MSAA at 2x and Vehicle Details on medium, I NEED to see my steering wheel in VR, it looks too weird without it. And the balance between the right resolution scale and 2x MSAA is perfect now with the configuration as I described to you. I get less fps with a higher resolution and no MSAA and it looks in that case WAY more pixelated/more shimmering. I am happy with the way that I got it working now, despite that the specific transformation that I have to make each time that I launch this game is ridiculous. But the experience is THAT good that I want to make that sacrifice.

Edit: I now saw that Vehicle Details on low didn't make the wheel disappear, only very low the steering wheel is gone. So thanks for the great tip! It makes indeed an good difference.

" Given Codemasters still wont add VR into the F1 series, I would be highly surprised if VR is added in any future rally titles. But I do agree, in future VR games need to support WMR, Oculus, and SteamVR. But that is a lot of work for 3 seperate VR platforms. "

I don't see reasons for such extreme pessimism. VR was NEVER supported in F1 (I agree that it should be added ! (of course, this is the first F1 title that I don't buy) but that is an other subject) but VR was part of DR1 and DR2, so I don't see a single reason why VR would be fully dropped for DR3? I have a good hope that VR will be added again and this time properly since VR gets more and more popular under racers. Maybe I'm too optimistic about Codemasters/EA, who knows; but I believe that they could and will do it for their next Rally title and their customers.

Edited by GuusHugo
  • 2 weeks later...

HP Reverb G2
In many cases (other than DR2), changing the screen focus to another window will increase GPU utilization and significantly improve performance.
For example, pressing "Ctrl + tab / Win + D" on ACC should have an effect. In DR2 I can't try it because it's inoperable. Is there a way to remove that restriction with mods, etc.?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 10:26 AM, RagingBeard said:

Well this will no longer be a problem for me, VIVE Pro 2 ordered 🙂 the G2 is great and all but I'm looking forward to ditching WMR and also using my hard mounting base stations again.

Nice ! I'm looking forward to your comparison video's to the Reverb G2. Let's hope that the VIVE Pro 2 works without flaws in DR2..(and 3) I also hope that there are more HZ options then solely 120HZ (there MUST be 🙂 ) otherwise it's impossible to get good performance with that resolution without reprojection/motion smoothing(what you don't want to use..)

Just a small ontopic update for the Reverb G2 users: I installed the new WMR for SteamVR beta. Everything stays the same regarding the "tweaks", still only works with the 456.71 driver release/and XMP off (didn't test other PCI-e settings since that makes no sense). BUT the performance is a bit better, about ~10% even I would say.

• Agree 1

You can be sure DR2 will be the first thing I test!

As for refresh, specs page says 90/120, with the wireless adapter only supporting 90.

I'd actually of preferred a 72 or 80 option over a 120 option lol, I'm probably in the minority there though. 

• Agree 1
5 hours ago, RagingBeard said:

As for refresh, specs page says 90/120, with the wireless adapter only supporting 90.

I'd actually of preferred a 72 or 80 option over a 120 option lol, I'm probably in the minority there though. 

Great !

90 hz is OK/much better indeed, but I prefer also 72/75/80hz, we are the minority indeed 😄 I know this because I requested this at HP's reddit but not much people seem to be interested in that option for the G2.. strange because 72/75/80hz would be the sweetspot performance/graphics balanse wise, 60 is too low/unusable for me, causes flickering.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 9:16 PM, RagingBeard said:

I just want to share this review with you:

In his opinion the Vive Pro 2 is flawed because of visible/terrible artifacts with the lenses and an even smaller vertical FoV and sweetspot. In his opinion the Reverb G2 is still the best choice for sim racing/the Vive Pro 2 is a downgrade instead of an upgrade compared to the G2 from his experience.