Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[CAR & TRACKS] Skoda

One manufacturer that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere, but has enjoyed a class domination of rallying for the last 50 years is Skoda - 17 consecutive class wins during the 70s and 80s.  Everything from the 130RS of the 70s, the 130LR in the 80s through to the Felicias, Octavias, S2000s and R5s of the following years. The earlier cars also have the added challenge of rear engined physics. How could they not be included? What say you DiRT Rally community?

I've got to say, the S2000 class would be my #1 choice if we were to get a new one, and the Fabia (Evo2 ideally) would be my #1 choice.

IRC was a high point of rallying in recent years IMO (remember the entire Monte being broadcast live?), and if they could use the Punto and 207 from DiRT 3 and add the Fabia, they would have the bulk of that field covered. Maybe the Fiesta S2000 too, if they were feeling ambitious.

The S2000 is more iconic, successful and arguably sounds better, though the WRC would probably fit into the resultant class structure. I'd guess the mid 2000s Fabia is the most likely if one is to appear.

I made the suggestion based on the class structure the game has been taking. I don't think S2000 will feature in this game at all considering it is a class being phased out. R5s are the most likely to appear. Maybe not the Skoda R5 but the R5 class.

Understand your point, but there's clearly a push towards the 'iconic' cars and eras of rallying. I would suggest that S2000s are more iconic than R5s due to them playing the lead part in the IRC years. So S2000 as a modern class, probably not, but as a 'historic' one, they certainly have relevance.

Plus, they sound ten times better than the dull Fabia R5 and Fiesta R5, which are making rallying dangerous through their silence.....

However, I suspect it won't happen too, or we'd probably already have the Punto and 207, but a boy can dream (of DLC), right?

If I recall correctly there was a licensing issue that prevented Skoda from appearing in DiRT 3, so I won't hold my breath...

...but assuming that issue can be resolved, it would be brilliant to see the S2000 Fabia and 130RS make it into the game!

The Octavia and Fabia WRC were both great sounding cars, so it would be good for them to be included as well, however I can think of much better World Rally Cars that I would prefer to see included from that era first. 

The "iconic" Skodas are certainly not the S2000 or R5.  Yes those cars have possibly enjoyed more continued success, but come from an era when Skoda are owned by VAG (no bad thing, incidentally, my daily driver is an Octavia RS).  The iconic cars are certainly the rear engined ones, particularly the 130RS and LR.  If I'm honest THESE are the ones I'd most like to see.

Being Czech, any Skoda rally car would be nice.

I like old cars the most anyways, Skoda 130 RS for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZW-mSapWBQ