Sign in to follow this  

NellyFurtado: 'Career mode has become stale'

Much like her music career, Nelly Furtado has stated that 'Career mode has become stale' in light of recent editions of the game, and believes it needs a massive revamp. 

"I believe that over the past two editions of the game, career mode has lost its vibe and energy, it is not that people are bored of driving in the races themselves, but the feel and the atmosphere of being an F1 driver is somewhat lacking. I believe all you can 'feel' through emails is no emotion, just words, and the news clippings are the same, thus it has led to me stating that the career mode in codemasters f1 series has become stale as of late. I believe that codemasters have the resources and the scope available to revamp career mode, to ignite a better feel for their consumers. F1 2010 had an impressive press conference available, it had regular interviews with the media. This is stuff that could be reintroduced and revamped, as such interviews could then be translated into various news clippings, some which criticize you and some which praise you... contract deals could vary, as I believe there should be the more likelihood of being sacked from a team due to poor performances and constantly being outperformed by your teammate. I hope the Developers can open their ears in regards to revamping career mode, as NellyFurtado would like to enjoy more of her free leisure time playing your games".

Totally agree, its basically like a custom cup of all the races with the option to change team every now and then. There is no feel of it being an Formula 1 season aside from the points tally.

I agree that the game needs some atmosphere but I was never a fan of the interviews as they always asked the same questions and I never cared what I answered after a couple of races. Hopefully with the new hardware and space they can implement something that brings F1 to life but really I just hope they make a killer game spending recources where they are truly needed.... on the track! 

likewise said:
I agree that the game needs some atmosphere but I was never a fan of the interviews as they always asked the same questions and I never cared what I answered after a couple of races. Hopefully with the new hardware and space they can implement something that brings F1 to life but really I just hope they make a killer game spending recources where they are truly needed.... on the track! 
Totally agree, the interviews were a waste of time and resources for codemasters, I would always choose the same answers without reading the questions just to get it over.  I don't get how people get enjoyment out of reading made up news clippings that only they will read, I know I just beat my teammate I don't need to read a story telling me what happened, I was there, I was the only one there in fact, I don't need a recap.  I would much rather see more focus on the physics on track and AI driving than superficial gimmicks that really don't effect the game. 

And I'm pretty sure you can be let go by a team if you aren't doing well, you won't get an offer to renew the contract at the end of the season and your only offers will be from Caterham or Marussia.  It's very rare a driver is fired mid-season in real life, and it would be kind of dumb if the game just fired you and you couldn't race anymore haha.

I think changes are needed and CM know this they knew that about Grid and look what we're getting a newer better Grid in Autosport with a far better career mode I hope something similar happens with F1. I think it will and it needs to with the new consoles and new racing games coming out end of the year they have to deliver otherwise they risk being left behind for the other games.

For me, it went downwards after they removed the option for a FULL official race weekend. Other than the driver names and tracks, there is little to compare between real F1 and CMs efforts since 2012 onwards. Just felt too shallow and dumbed down for me to enjoy further. As for classics, I'm enjoying a blast from the past on many of the older none CM F1 games in my collection. No problem there!

I'm not optimistic CM can win me back the way things have gone recently. I don't expect CM to make a F1 game purely for me but since 2012, I felt uninspired and alienated from playing their games because they removed features that I once enjoyed.

For me, it went downwards after they removed the option for a FULL official race weekend. Other than the driver names and tracks, there is little to compare between real F1 and CMs efforts since 2012 onwards. Just felt too shallow and dumbed down for me to enjoy further. As for classics, I'm enjoying a blast from the past on many of the older none CM F1 games in my collection. No problem there!

I'm not optimistic CM can win me back the way things have gone recently. I don't expect CM to make a F1 game purely for me but since 2012, I felt uninspired and alienated from playing their games because they removed features that I once enjoyed.

I agree at the moment I'm sitting in the no camp as well I don't mind there being 2 less practice sessions as I only ever used the 1 anyway even on 2010 and 11 where I could run the whole weekend. I think it would be better though if there was more to do with career mode. I'd happily sacrifice season challenge and scenario mode if they made this happen and straightened out the AI (at least on the bottom levels with the improvements I've suggested in other posts in the forum then maybe just maybe they might win me back over.

Season challenge and Scenario mode are fun but there's little scope for improvement there. The only thing you can do that might make Season challenge more interesting would be an option to either pick the 10 races yourself or have the computer select at random 10 tracks thereby making it different every time you play. This way one time you may be racing your fave tracks another time you'll be on your least favourite that kind of thing.

Grid Autosport has definitely got my interest as it looks like CM are trying to make things right there. I can only hope the same happens with F1 but only time will tell.

Well personally I liked the practice sessions, used fp1 for Rd engine (weaker engine) change, fp2 for setup, fp3 fine tuning and engine change (strong 4 race). In d current mode, 1 practice session, I always loose some performance one or two units in the engine wen I restart session

There was really no excuse for them ditching fp1 and fp2 from a standalone formula one game. If they don't add it back then I'd consider not buying the game until it goes on sale, this is one of the mistakes they must rectify.

At least with my vintage collection of F1 games, I get to participate in a full race weekend (forgot to mention that). I haven't played the classics from 2013 (obviously) so I have to be careful about what I say, but from what I have read there is no proper structured race weekend. If I'm misinformed here's my apology in advance.

At least with my vintage collection of F1 games, I get to participate in a full race weekend (forgot to mention that). I haven't played the classics from 2013 (obviously) so I have to be careful about what I say, but from what I have read there is no proper structured race weekend. If I'm misinformed here's my apology in advance.
same here given I think I've still got EA's F1 challenge and I think I've still got most if not all of the Geoff Crammond games too so I can still race the Redbull ring as it's now called if I choose to it just won't be on CM's games unless it's good enough.I liked 2010-12 but 2013's AI was a nightmare and a nightmare I don't really want to relive

I think to only way to make career mode really stand out, is by adding a lot of extra challenges compared to a season mode.

Do like MotoGP and add GP3 and GP2 to the game. Start you career in a lower class with limited races and more aggressive drivers, trying to prove themselves. You have to fight your way to F1 by winning the GP3 and GP2 championship and then maybe prove yourself in a shoot-out against two rivals from GP2. 

During the F1 career, maybe add one or two season tests with real objectives you have to meet (do a qualifying sim or an actual race stint where you need an average time). Introduce new parts that affect the handling and if you think they are an improvement, they get installed on the car. Sometimes, they might turn out bad and you can take them back of the car, but you've lost 2 races in updates, setting you and the team back a little pace wise.

I was thinking maybe they should use an XP system that makes it easier for the team to set up the car he way you like it for example the more laps you do the easier it'll be to set the car up to your liking but with the expense of maybe wearing your car down more. This may also lead to possible breakdown further on into the weekend to by doing it.  I can't see them adding gp2 and 3 as I think that's more a Grid type racing really which Autosport technically already covers given it has an open wheel discipline.. This game is primarily F1. I think the possibility of your rep going down as well as up would spice things up too. If you failed to meet your objectives it'll make it harder for you to get a seat with a good team and if your erp goes down low enough then maybe even being booted out of your current one if you're with one of the bigger teams and not producing the goods