F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×

Track situation for F1 2021

4 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

My understanding was that Codemasters already do this, and for me the two-year development cycle puts the demands for late changes in a more realistic perspective as a result I think.

As far as i am aware from the outside of Codemasters as a customer and long time fan. They have the f1 team, the dirt rally team, the dirt team (which now seems to be evolution studios old team), and the grid team, and now slightly mad studios as well. It is possible they have other teams to help out where needed at any given time. But as far as i know, they only have a singular team working on each title they develop

But i am not a Codemasters employee, so i can only go from publicly available information and news reports and interviews done by codemasters and make a semi informed guess based off that. So i could be completely wrong 😅

22 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

But i am not a Codemasters employee

Neither am I of course - I'm just sharing what is the usually stated position on this forum. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

I hear that. Some of the comments regarding the tracks, people expecting that codemasters can just click their fingers like Q from star trek and add the replaced tracks instantly. Its actually kind of maddening.

Even if covid wasnt a thing right now,  it would be about a 9 month wait for them to build a track. Even upping and correcting details from an older version from f1 games past could take a solid 5 to 6 months (plus) of work, and could be wholly inaccurate as a result. As track layouts and surroundings can change over time due to renovation works.

I agree with you to a certain degree (brand new tracks would take a LONG time to build from scratch), but some of the existing tracks are so outdated, sometimes not even reflecting changes from as far back as 2012, that there really should be no reason for why they haven't at least updated the curbing on some tracks like Monza/Austria (just a couple examples out of many) to more accurately resemble how the tracks look in the current season. I've been working as an Environment Artist in AAA studios since 2004 so I can say with a high degree of confidence that this would not take long to do at all. I'm talking days perhaps weeks in some cases, but certainly not months.

Edited by CptBalloonhands

23 hours ago, Lakrits said:

I do understand that many want to play as close to the real thing as possible

Im these type of person, but I know it's takes a lot of time to make a track from scratch. For me it's annoying but I do believe it's annoying for them too to not give the tracks we all want.

Was watching some of the glitches where if you rolled the car and managed to get the photo mode camera to go out of bounds you could freely explore around the outer areas surrounding the tracks. Was interesting with some cool Easter eggs no one would probably ever find.

Did also give an insight into how the tracks were built up. Not sure if they do it the same way anymore but looks like they used to take a top down photo, similar to google earth and then build it back up in a 3D space using assets for the trees, buildings, grandstands etc.  Seems like a fairly obvious way to build the tracks to be fairly accurate and immersive but definitely shows how time consuming it must be.

And that’s just the outer areas that you don’t even see apart from at long distance in the pre-race intros and in the backdrops when driving the tracks.  I’m sure the tracks themselves usually take a lot more work as they’ve mentioned using lidar scans in the past, something they’ve probably found a lot more challenging getting access to with all the travel restrictions due to covid.  Personally think it’s great that they’ve committed to adding the 3 new tracks, and certainly not surprised it’s going to take a longer time to build them post the games release.

Posted (edited)

Well the start of the pandemic early last year caused record unprecedented cancellations, the likes of which we have never seen in the history of the sport. Unprecedented exigencies bought with it unprecedented ad hoc solutions, and Chase Carey stepped into the void and engineered a brilliant and entertaining track lineup that reintroduced some sleeping classics such as Imola and Istanbul Park. Brilliant! It was also impossible for Codemasters to react to these changes in any meaningful way, so F1 2020 reflected the same lineup sans the ad hoc track line up of 2020. Pat! 
Enter year 2021 where the mode of FOM is to get back to normalcy mid-pandemic in accordance with F1 host countries, and where I presume Codemasters should have an operation in place to reflect this reality - they’ve had a year to react. We’ve known pre-season that Imola, Algarve and Jeddah would be part of this year’s track lineup, so there’s no reason why these circuits won’t be included in the 2021 game. Istanbul Park is a late entrant, but still announced a full two months and more before the game’s release date and should be included in the game, even in a post release update. Should game fans be expecting this? Certainly! Should Codemasters along with big daddy acquisitor EA and their deep pockets and no lack of experience in acquiring and implementing virtual tracks (Real Racing 3) be expected to deliver this year’s astounding panoply of tracks! Absolutely and without a doubt!
Also as EA’s first branded Codemasters game, a major selling point for them should be the addition of historic tracks Imola and Istanbul Park! Come on folks, you simply can’t get any more track-listed than this year’s 23 race line up -Saudi Arabia and Turkey in one game! The lions, the tigers, the bears, the tracks, oh my! 

Edited by FOneFanatic

Well the license may have to go to another company after all these years ..... 

same issues are now discussed since years - 

Time for something new ? 

5 hours ago, Shark2Racing said:

Time for something new ? 

Well they have It till 2025 with a possible extension to 2027

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nightfire1964 said:

Well they have It till 2025 with a possible extension to 2027

I was hoping somebody might know - thanks for sharing this.

Whilst F1 2020 obviously isn't perfect, a quick Google suggests it does well in terms of how it's ranked relative to other F1 games over the years. I'm sure Codemasters would point to good sales and improvements over time as well. Overall meaning now would seem an odd time to argue for licence removal.

It's always tempting to think of transferring a game licence to another company as a magic bullet that would suddenly see all the improvements someone wants getting made but the truth could turn out rather differently. 

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I was hoping somebody might know - thanks for sharing this.

Whilst F1 2020 obviously isn't perfect, a quick Google suggests it does well in terms of how it's ranked relative to other F1 games over the years. I'm sure Codemasters would point to good sales and improvements over time as well. Overall meaning now would seem an odd time to argue for licence removal.

It's always tempting to think of transferring a game licence to another company as a magic bullet that would suddenly see all the improvements someone wants getting made but the truth could turn out rather differently. 

no problem ultra. i agree the f1 franchise  hasn't got the flop like star wars battlefront 2 in terms of ruining an IP (possibly a main reason why EA licence has been bended to allow other studios to work on stuff) but i think we have to give a 2 year chance to see obviously this year's game has had not as much interaction with EA but possibly 2022 and 2023 we see more and hey maybe this could be them building stuff up for when we have the rule changes next year

Edited by Nightfire1964

22 hours ago, Shark2Racing said:

Time for something new ? 

There’s zero chance EA will ever let go of the exclusive license 

6 minutes ago, Theseus said:

I mean if the situation arises they may not have a choice, NFL have removed exclusivity from EA for example with 2k currently preparing a new NFL game. 

However I don't think the games are int he dire shape that's often presented here, and are widely respected and acclaimed in the industry with strong reviews each year. If EA doesn't mess with it too, mcuh, and I gather the plan is for Codies to get on with it, then I don't see anything changing soon for sure. 

• Agree 3

19 minutes ago, Theseus said:

Ultimately that's not entirely EA's decision.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

Ultimately that's not entirely EA's decision.

Who do you actually think could take it away? Money talks and I’m sure the powers that be at F1 couldn’t care less about the quality of a video game. EA didn’t just spend a B+ to get dumped and I’d be very surprised if EA didn’t already have a very long term deal practically in place before their purchase of Codies.  

9 minutes ago, Theseus said:

Who do you actually think could take it away? Money talks and I’m sure the powers that be at F1 couldn’t care less about the quality of a video game. EA didn’t just spend a B+ to get dumped and I’d be very surprised if EA didn’t already have a very long term deal practically in place before their purchase of Codies.  

I was more getting at the fact that FOM have the right to sell the licence to whoever they choose rather than it being in EA's power to 'not let go' of it. I don't expect Codemasters to stop making F1 games any time soon, with the fact that EA chose to buy them to continue doing so rather than trying to compete telling its own story really. Currently the most obvious rival company is 2K though, although long term, who knows.

I don't personally want Codemasters to stop making the F1 game either. 

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Overall I like the game and if I had bought one or two in Codies time I would think a lot differently about it, but I would be very interested in a fresh look. I'm hoping once next gen buying problems are out of the way and current gen becomes last gen finally we'll get a new engine and a whole redesign, but will Codies do it? If it's Jeff in my ear for another year.... I don't know what I might do. 

2 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I was more getting at the fact that FOM have the right to sell the licence to whoever they choose rather than it being in EA's power to 'not let go' of it. I don't expect Codemasters to stop making F1 games any time soon, with the fact that EA chose to buy them to continue doing so rather than trying to compete telling its own story really. Currently the most obvious rival company is 2K though, although long term, who knows.

Yeah trust me I don’t want Codemasters to stop making the game either and I hope EA stays out of any creative direction of the F1 game because they’ll surly ruin it. My point was that there’s no game publisher big enough to come in and take it away or go up against EA to negotiate another license. EA didn’t just pay all that money without every intention of doing everything humanly possible to keep exclusivity. 

Edited by Theseus
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Theseus said:

Yeah trust me I don’t want Codemasters to stop making the game either and I hope EA stays out of any creative direction of the F1 game because they’ll surly ruin it. My point was that there’s no game publisher big enough to come in and take it away or go up against EA to negotiate another license. EA didn’t just pay all that money without every intention of doing everything humanly possible to keep exclusivity. 

EA payed what they did for everything Codemasters do of course, not just the F1 Games. 

6 hours ago, Theseus said:

EA already once owned the F1 license in the turn of the millennia (early 2000's) so they can make a business decision that they deem is no longer profitable or lucrative and drop it again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ragequit1 said:

EA already once owned the F1 license in the turn of the millennia (early 2000's) so they can make a business decision that they deem is no longer profitable or lucrative and drop it again.

Interesting. They did the same with the PGA (golf) licence actually, stepping away from the franchise after the (poor) Rory McIlroy game in 2015. They will be releasing a new PGA Tour game relatively soon though, to compete with 2K's current offering (an evolution of HB Studio's The Golf Club series). What is different here is that the PGA Tour licence is clearly not an exclusive one (although licensing for particular and courses and players seems to be).