Jump to content Jump to content

Track situation for F1 2021

47 minutes ago, GnrDreagon said:

Imola is. And apparently Vietnam isn't happening so they are in talks with others to replace that one with, according to rumours, portugal being the lead contender.

Yeah Imola is, but it has only been announced 5 days ago. In usual circumstances, the calender is set way earlier. They probably won't even add Imola, let alone any other track that will be confirmed later on. I would be very surprised, but pleased if they do manage it.

I Don’t know if imola and portimao are lazer scanned in project cars 3 but couldn’t they give codies the scans which would make things much easier if they were to make it right? Obviously they cant just port them over due to different engines but the scans would help a lot

I just expect them to have the original calendar with Jeddah and the TBC race (probably Portimao). I would love to have as many tracks as possible, but I don't really expect them to. Imola is probably only the first of many replacements this year. Maybe they'll make a track DLC later on in the year. They probably have at least some data from PC3, so they don't have to start completely from scratch, but it's still a massive amount of work to make a new track. Let's hope we can change the order of races in career mode.

What I need confirmation on is if the ad hoc 2020 track line up will be include as the F1 2020 season along with whatever tracks they decide on for 2020. Or they can simply add the exclusive tracks from last year where there is a cancellation this year and call the game F1 2020/2021. For example in place of Australia, add Istanbul Park, and so on!  Extra ordinary times calls for extra ordinary solutions - problem solved, as I'm sure there are more cancellations to come.  

Not just Imola and Portimao on Project Cars, they also have Mugello, Nurburgring and Bahrain Outer. Only Istanbul not available from the missing 2020 tracks.

I would hope that for F1 2021, some sort of provision is made to have the correct circuits. They have the Project Cars data as mentioned above, plus they will have some data from the races last year at these circuits (lap timings, racing lines, tyre wear etc) so it all helps.

I would guess F1 2021 is well in progress and if they can't include the alternate tracks in the game at launch, they do look to add them in a DLC (either free or paid) at a later point. Then as mentioned above, give the user an option to amend the season schedule to add/remove different circuits. The only issue i guess could be licensing plus you would need to get Crofty to record some more intro's for all the different circuits.

• Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 7:20 PM, FTBuzzard said:

but designing such a track in 3d is not done in 1 week or so. it takes time.
And the more tracks that are added, the longer it takes.
For an annual game this is a pretty difficult task, especially if you also have to improve the already existing game modes.

Well for an annual game they managed four tracks in 2013 and got that done. I reckon with help they can get the 2020 tracks and Saudi circuit in. Lets not forget the game has microtransactions now. 

• Agree 1

Everyone conveniently forgetting that hanoi and zandvoort were probably already built (for the most part at least) before covid-19 was even known to be a thing, yet still expecting 3 new tracks to be made this year with all of the major restrictions everyone has been working under, before even knowing the calendar until quite recently (one race still tbc). Using 2013 as a comparable situation is completely unrealistic. Less detail required back then for a start not to mention a pandemic to contend with. 

We will get what we get, and I for one will be thankful for it and not throwing a fit because I didn't get what I wanted. 

• Agree 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/8/2021 at 2:49 PM, Rango said:

TBC now confirmed as Portimao 

By the way - Turkey and Nürburgring have been tracks in codies Game in the past - so they would not need to start from scratch for these tracks / only Imola and Portimao had been tracks that are completely new / so a track pack for F12020 would not have been impossible Besides Bahrain - love the old track layout 

No wit Jeddah they have to create three tracks - and let’s see what is gonna happen with Canada ...

It is a stupid time but with some more recourses there should be mord possible .

especially for the classic cars it would be fog those who likes the classic racers good to have as well the classic tracks - like old Hockenheim / Jerez / Adelaide / old Silverstone / Sepang / Estoril / Magny Cours and so on ....

1 hour ago, Shark2Racing said:

By the way - Turkey and Nürburgring have been tracks in codies Game in the past - so they would not need to start from scratch for these tracks / only Imola and Portimao had been tracks that are completely new / so a track pack for F12020 would not have been impossible Besides Bahrain - love the old track layout 

No wit Jeddah they have to create three tracks - and let’s see what is gonna happen with Canada ...

It is a stupid time but with some more recourses there should be mord possible .

especially for the classic cars it would be fog those who likes the classic racers good to have as well the classic tracks - like old Hockenheim / Jerez / Adelaide / old Silverstone / Sepang / Estoril / Magny Cours and so on ....

Going by last season I think you'll find the track roster for the F1 2021 game is now locked, and won't change even if the actual race calendar does.

Correct mugello is a awesome track .. Even better in ride 4 /pc2 were you can do a 24 hour day night cycle .Racing round there from day going through the night is pretty awesome and not to mention doing the same at the nordschlife now that is a serious challenge ...... 

Sad that we will not have another track in the 2021 game part of the calendar. Tho I understand they cant do it in time, atleast they could give the option to remove the tracks we want before a season begins instead of a restricted number of tracks. Really dont like to race in tracks that dont belong to the official calendar, it makes lose a bit of immersion.

Let's see what they do!

Edited by Tomasslb24
  • Agree 1
3 hours ago, Tomasslb24 said:

Really dont like to race in tracks that dont belong to the official calendar

Aye, so what are we going to do? Lets wait until christmas 2021 and see how many tracks they have (not yet) included when the game is 50% off on steam already? And if there are not all tracks so we can not drive a full championship then we simply dont buy it? Might be an idea 😛

1 hour ago, Schneehase said:

Aye, so what are we going to do? Lets wait until christmas 2021 and see how many tracks they have (not yet) included when the game is 50% off on steam already? And if there are not all tracks so we can not drive a full championship then we simply dont buy it? Might be an idea 😛

I'm probably buying the game, but it's annoying not to drive on tracks that the F1 has raced in that year. If it was possible to module the career/myteam calendar to a closer one to the real life it would be better but well, it is what it is.

37 minutes ago, Tomasslb24 said:

I'm probably buying the game, but it's annoying not to drive on tracks that the F1 has raced in that year. If it was possible to module the career/myteam calendar to a closer one to the real life it would be better but well, it is what it is.

2020 was exceptional in many ways. We don't know yet how exceptional 2021 will be. We've seen the first proof that it will be to some extent today.

The codies aren't soothsayers, they can't predict the future. Adding a track takes a long time. It's not just the track in itself, it's the surrounding area, it's so much data that needs to first be gathered and then processed. It's not something that can be done over night. They have to stick to the official calendar to begin with, and that might be difficult enough a year like this with so many new tracks. Then on top of that changes during the season like last year, it's just not possible. Saying things like "it shouldn't take to long, it can't be that hard" just proves that people have no idea how much work is behind each track.

I do understand that many want to play as close to the real thing as possible, as do I, but everyone has to realise that some things just aren't possible to do in the time frames we're dealing with. It's so easy to complain without knowing anything about what's really behind.

• Agree 1
19 minutes ago, Lakrits said:

I do understand that many want to play as close to the real thing as possible, as do I, but everyone has to realise that some things just aren't possible to do in the time frames we're dealing with. It's so easy to complain without knowing anything about what's really behind.

Perfectly true, given all the oddities and irregulations of 2020 and 2021 and maybe another year to come, it might be wise not to raise expectations any higher than they already are: One of the problems imho is, that calling an F1 game "official" will result in buyers having certain expectations, and if these can not be met (for whatever reasons, pandemic bla bla) the whining will start. I am afraid that the new F1 2021 feature "real season start" will even extend this issue, because what would be the point in having that as a listed new game feature, when the tracks the cars raced on are not / can not be content of the game? They should rather not have it under these circumstances.

3 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

Perfectly true, given all the oddities and irregulations of 2020 and 2021 and maybe another year to come, it might be wise not to raise expectations any higher than they already are: One of the problems imho is, that calling an F1 game "official" will result in buyers having certain expectations, and if these can not be met (for whatever reasons, pandemic bla bla) the whining will start. I am afraid that the new F1 2021 feature "real season start" will even extend this issue, because what would be the point in having that as a listed new game feature, when the tracks the cars raced on are not / can not be content of the game? They should rather not have it under these circumstances.

You're probably right. The timing for "real season start" is probably not the best one in the current situation.

• Agree 1
10 hours ago, Lakrits said:

You're probably right. The timing for "real season start" is probably not the best one in the current situation.

Agreed. It must be really frustrating for the Codemasters team that, for the second game in a row, their hard work to improve the game and add features is going to be undermined/distracted from due to changes beyond their control.

• Agree 1
31 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

Agreed. It must be really frustrating for the Codemasters team that, for the second game in a row, their hard work to improve the game and add features is going to be undermined/distracted from due to changes beyond their control.

I hear that. Some of the comments regarding the tracks, people expecting that codemasters can just click their fingers like Q from star trek and add the replaced tracks instantly. Its actually kind of maddening.

Even if covid wasnt a thing right now,  it would be about a 9 month wait for them to build a track. Even upping and correcting details from an older version from f1 games past could take a solid 5 to 6 months (plus) of work, and could be wholly inaccurate as a result. As track layouts and surroundings can change over time due to renovation works.

The fact that we are still in the middle of a global pandemic that has halted a fair amount of world wide travel, that makes things even harder to deal with. Especially for a predominantly racing game dev that relies on been able to travel to race tracks in order to collect data, photos, and video.

I get why people are up in arms over this subject, but there are extenuating circumstances the past 2 years that no dev could hope to deal with on a heavily licensed yesr to year release title like F1.

What the last 2 years have shown however, is that these year on year licensed sports games leave absolutely no room for unforseen circumstances to be dealt with.

The real question people should probably be asking, is if sporting bodies and game devs licensed to make these games, should begin to make a 2 year dev cycle instead; and hire/create a secondary team to work in tandem in order to keep the year on year releases. But cross team information sharing and communication would need to be very robust. Otherwise even that could end badly. Much like how COD has zero conformity between releases, with game engine differences so numerous, its difficult to keep track of them.

Lets face it, its all a bit of a mess. Codemaster are squarely in a catch 22 situation.

Edited by Ialyrn
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
13 minutes ago, Ialyrn said:

The real question people should probably be asking, is if sporting bodies and game devs licensed to make these games, should begin to make a 2 year dev cycle instead; and hire/create a secondary team to work in tandem in order to keep the year on year releases. But cross team information sharing and communication would need to be very robust. Otherwise even that could end badly. Much like how COD has zero conformity between releases, with game engine differences so numerous, its difficult to keep track of them.

My understanding was that Codemasters already do this, and for me the two-year development cycle puts the demands for late changes in a more realistic perspective as a result I think.