Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damage Model while driving

While driving (and havin some servere accidents) i was wondering what it is exactly, that makes driving so difficult suddenly (i lost the left rear tire back then :-). But besides this damage the co-driver tells me about, i thought it would be nice to blend in a damage model by keystroke, which shows where exactly the damage is and indicates its degree with colors from green (tutto bene) to red (complete demolated) so i would know what it is that just broke while driving (without switching through cameraviews o which i maybe dont even see the damage)

Playing on "hardest difficulty" no assists and all I feel damage model could be bit more unforgiving.
Its quite easy to damage a tire or loose it, but what about engine, axles, suspension?

I didn't manage to damage my parts bellow 70% or so, but I would be surprised if it had significant effect. And it should!

Even if it's something like the damage indicators on DiRT 2 and 3, I'd be okay with it. Though I prefer to leave the HUD off.

I think on harder levels you shouldn't be able to see it, as in reality you wouldn't know, you'd have to figure it out by how the car handles. I think the co-driver saying you've got a puncture or lost a tyre is fine though. 
Sometimes I do feel it would be nice to know, but I can see the simulation experience argument for not having it.

It would be useful as you say in your 2 poll options but I don't think it is needed as it would detract from the 'sim' approach CM are trying to achieve. A better option, and more realistic in my opinion, would be to have a very limited, small, amount of time between stages to 'sure up' or patch up damage, as is the case in rallying. And to also survey any damage you have received during the previous stage. Although I feel this would be quite a lot of development work for a (relatively) small feature and I'd prefer them to put this time into more stages and polishing the current game.

Wouldn't the "check radiator" and "check engine" lights that you can only see with the hud on also have lights on the dash? Because as it stands unless the HUD is on or you know what to look for (I don't) there's no way to tell.

Or do these particular cars not have those dash lights? I get going for realism but I'm under the assumption that it's -less- physically accurate to not have a check-engine light on the car's actual dashboard.

I don't think rally cars tend to have the "check engine" lights that standard cars have, but for all I know a lot of them have something more complex and detailed.  I'd imagine modern rally cars have quite a few warning lights etc.