Sign in to follow this  

The new rules in F1

What do you think about the new rules in F1?
Write it down and let´s discuss!

Honestly, I think it's worked nicely. The racing has been superb, whether that's coincidence or due to the new rule I don't know, but Bahrain, Monaco and Canada have had awesome races.

The cars are ugly, let's not avoid that, and the engine noise isn't so loud. I'll reserve my judgement until I've been to a GP.

Hopefully we get a really good title fight, because that would make the year! :D

P.s. This might have been better off posted in the Formula 1 Stuff thread but we'll let you off because you're new :)

Yes, I think too. The new rules make really fun. It´s so interesting now how the technical things like ERS work. 
The only thing where i worry about is that the times are 2 seconds slower than before because of the aerodynamic restirctions. (Ok not in Monza, I think).

P.S: Yes, ok thank you but i had thought that the formula one stuff thread is for news like schumacher is awake now or something

I think that on the whole, the rule changes are good for the sport.

The engines are obviously the big talking point and while some don't like them, I think they're great for the sport. They are apparently more efficient than the engine in a Toyota Prius or something? That's awesome, and they're using far less fuel which is obviously good.

Unfortunately I haven't heard the sound with my own ears yet so I can't say just what the difference is, but the engines last year were so loud. I'm sure it's fine how they are. 

The shape of the cars are obviously a bit odd, but that's what the designers have come up with and I've certainly got used to the 'ugly' noses. 

The new rules have also created two classics in my opinion, at Bahrain and Canada, in just 7 races. I would say that three of the races have been better than the best race of last season (Silverstone in my opinion).

I've grown to love the new engine sounds. Sure I miss the old ones, but it's really a game of give and take. I'll take good racing over deafness.

In my opinion the new sound is very good but for me it´s a little bit too quiet and unfortunately too expensive. But I like the new rules. The driver have got more tyres, there are more test in the year and because of the new engines you´ve got more power than before. In Canada the mercedes reached 335 km/h only in the 7th gear. How fast they are when they drive in Monza? 
But how i wrote, the worriest thing for me is the restriction of the aerodynamic and that the F1 is 2 seconds slower than before.

They are apparently more efficient than the engine in a Toyota Prius or something?
I don't think a Prius can only manage a paltry 3-ish km to the litre.

http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8680/fia.html

FIA Regulations in Detail

No they´ve got more 
One more option and one more prime but with many new restrictions

KuB said:
No they´ve got more 
One more option and one more prime but with many new restrictions
Those new tyres are only for qualification purposes only and are given back to Pirelli after the session.

yes 
I said that 

with many new restrictions

but they´ve got more tyres

KuB said:
yes 
I said that 

with many new restrictions

but they´ve got more tyres
Those tyres don;t have anything to do with the race tho, its to make sure everyone in Q3 does their run, with only around five teams actually using those extra tyres.

Yes but the cars woh don´t qualify for Q3 can use the extra option tyre in the race 

KuB said:
Yes but the cars woh don´t qualify for Q3 can use the extra option tyre in the race 

No they are handed back regardless where you qualified.

KuB said:

No they are handed back regardless where you qualified.
All Q2 cars get the extra option tyres. Those who go to Q3 use it there, those who don't, keep it for the race.

One set of “option” specification tyres may only be used during Q3, by those cars that qualified for Q3, and must be returned to the tyre supplier before the start of the race.
One set of “option” specification tyres, which were allocated to cars which did not qualify for Q3, may only be used during the race.
From the official FIA regulations

On a personal note, I would still take a V10 over the current engines any day. 

Nothing makes up for noise and atmosphere in my opinion which, at least when you see it live, is the thing you take away with you and remember forever. At least it was for me. And even though we've had some great races, on the whole I don't think it's dramatically better than previous years. Or to put it another way, I don't think the great races we've had this year have been specifically down to the new rules. And also, all the new technology and energy systems which we're constantly reminded of isn't really that fascinating to me, personally. So overall on a personal level, and looking at it from a purely racing and fans experience view, I'm still not a huge fan of the new rules. 

However, I do completely understand why Formula 1 has and needs them. When you've got two engine manufacturers out of three on the grid threatening to quit the sport if something didn't change, you know something has to be done. And now it has, we've got other engine manufacturers wanting to join the sport, which is also good. And of course, although the new energy saving technology isn't too interesting to me, it's of interest to some fans and any environmental saving from it is good (although a much bigger environmental saving could be made if Formula 1 looked at its flight and travel logistics over a season).  

To sum it up, the changes are good for Formula 1 on the whole and were a necessity which I completely get. Racing wise, I'm still a bit of a dinosaur who looks back on older times with fondness. 

KuB said:
No also everyone who don´t qualify for Q2
no you only get it if you make it to q2

Where it stands

yes sure the old engines were louder and as a driver you´ve got the feeling to control something special a monster i would say. But for development the new rules are really good and yes not all good races based on the new rules but i think the main part. Because the ERS is so interesting an complicate that there are some problems and moreover with the engine