Sign in to follow this  

The new rules in F1

Yes you´re right it´s a silly idea. For fans and for "experts" around the world. It´s not good for the real sport.
It´s like when teams  get double points on the last matchday in Bundesliga or Premier League.

Double points, silent engines with trumpets?.. now standing restarts from yellow..  'spark' skid blocks.

All trying to hide the fact that the sport is massively unbalanced from a cost/competitive basis. If there wasn't an Aussie racing I would not make the effort to follow F1 in future.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/114529

Seriously, who actually comes up with this rubbish and think "OH YES THAT'S A GREAT IDEA MGSSADGD"?

OK, so a couple of things here. Firstly, aren't we going to see a lot more stalled, overheated and crashed cars off the standing starts, and therefore more Safety Cars? The start is the most accident prone part of any Grand Prix.

Secondly, isn't the whole point of the Safety Car that the cars don't stop? If you're going to have a standing start off the grid then why not red flag the race? All this does is turn the Safety Car into a red flag where the cars circle around pointlessly and waste laps instead of just stopping on the grid.

Britpoint said:
OK, so a couple of things here. Firstly, aren't we going to see a lot more stalled, overheated and crashed cars off the standing starts, and therefore more Safety Cars? The start is the most accident prone part of any Grand Prix.

Secondly, isn't the whole point of the Safety Car that the cars don't stop? If you're going to have a standing start off the grid then why not red flag the race? All this does is turn the Safety Car into a red flag where the cars circle around pointlessly and waste laps instead of just stopping on the grid.
Pretty sure if they flag the race they can't resume the race straight away.

KuB said:
I'm still pretty meh on the new engines tbh. 

As for double points, it could still make a huge difference. Say Rosberg has a 49 point lead over Hamilton (will probably be closer than that) going into Abu Dhabi, then during the race Rosberg gets taken out by another driver, Hamilton wins the race and with it the WDC by 1 point. To me that's massively unfair to Rosberg as he built his lead over the whole season with races where points for the win are 25. So to lose it in one race where you get 50 for the win is just harsh, ridiculous and unfair.

The only way it wouldn't be unfair and stupid would be to make every race double points. It cheapens the championship otherwise.
Yes ok but it´s also unfair when the drivers have got a technical problem in the other races. There´s no difference. Because they can´t anything for these problems.
The only thing that´s unfair is when one driver reachs a lead because the team and the driver were better across the season and than get a problem in the last race and the worse driver wins the Championship.
A technical problem is not the same thing. There's a chance that could happen to any driver at any time but it's not guaranteed, double points is happening no matter what. And a technical problem is part of using equipment that's stressed to the level of an F1 car, they all know that.
And your second point, about the worse driver winning, that's exactly what I wrote, you just repeated me. If you're gonna debate my point, can you at least read my post and not just repeat it?

Yeah....
I´d only say my opinion and emphasize that what you say.
;)

Britpoint said:

I think if they were to do that just red flag it and get everybody to just reform back on the grid as well so much simpler then they won't need to send the safety car out to rebunch them. The only problem would be really is would they know what position they weer in when the flag came out and form up on the grid correctly. I think given the technical issues having race restarts could cause could make things moer dangerous would be my main worry it's a tricky issue I can see why they may want to do this as really the start is the most action packed part of the race. But I think that's also what makes it unique but not every motorsport starts with a standing start like F1 but they still pull in the crowds. This situation just needs a little thought to make sure that if it does happen then it can be done safely.

I´ve got no words for the saftey car reform. That´s illogical. I mean which person had this silly idea.

KuB said:
I´ve got no words for the saftey car reform. That´s illogical. I mean which person had this silly idea.
Probably Bernie

That´s crazy. 
Ok  the F1 directors often have got sily ideas.

That safety car idea is stupid, as has been said they may as well red flag the race. Also, weren't safety car restarts after red flags introduced to prevent accidents on restarts? What happens now then? Red flag, safety car lap, standing start?

And if there is a stalled car, how will aborted starts work?

What a stupid idea.

It's an idea that gets stupider the more you think about it. What about tracks where start crashes are common (e.g. Monaco, Canada, Australia)? Anyone else forsee a vicious cycle of starts, crashes, SCs and restarts?

yugin96 said:
It's an idea that gets stupider the more you think about it. What about tracks where start crashes are common (e.g. Monaco, Canada, Australia)? Anyone else forsee a vicious cycle of starts, crashes, SCs and restarts?
Yup. What a stupid idea this is. I'm sure the fans will love watching the leaders retire with clutch failure.

Standing starts are a crazy idea in my opinion. I can only echo what Britpoint said earlier. 

I think the SC restarts are fine at the moment, but to be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing a rolling start perhaps instead. So once the lapped cars have unlapped themselves and this message pops up...

'Safety Car in this lap'

...The cars get into two by two order and they go at safety car pace onto the straight, and then when the lights go green, they go racing. It seems better than a standing start to me as they don't have to stop, so no overheating, and less likely to crash too which will only bring out another safety car.

Standing starts are a crazy idea in my opinion. I can only echo what Britpoint said earlier. 

I think the SC restarts are fine at the moment, but to be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing a rolling start perhaps instead. So once the lapped cars have unlapped themselves and this message pops up...

'Safety Car in this lap'

...The cars get into two by two order and they go at safety car pace onto the straight, and then when the lights go green, they go racing. It seems better than a standing start to me as they don't have to stop, so no overheating, and less likely to crash too which will only bring out another safety car.
Yeah I agree that sounds like a better option to me too

@PeteTheDuck is spot on, I don't see why double file restarts aren't the obvious choice. Worked brilliantly for IndyCar before they sort of overreacted to accidents on the tight street courses and got rid of them everywhere except ovals. If the issue they are trying to solve is that the leader gets away too far because they are allowed to control the pace and decide when to accelerate, then don't let them do that.

Two by two, everyone stays at a steady pace until GREEN. Then keep the single file system for the highly dangerous tracks like Monaco.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that about narrow circuits. If they do change the rules then I hope that they change it to that because a standing start would be very silly in my opinion.

The people who make these suggestions need to open their eyes to the internet and the fans. It baffles me as to why Formula 1 does not have any official social media channels. They should have a Facebook page, Twitter page, and why oh why do they not have a YouTube page? So many more people are now watching Formula 1 on mobile devices for example and are not watching races live, so they wait for the highlights. F1 should be uploading some race highlights to their YouTube channel, even if they are 12 hours after the race finished, for example. They should have session previews and reviews, paddock tours, inside features, etc.

Their website should have polls and questionnaires to see what the fans think about the racing. Then they would see that double points and standing SC restarts are not wanted. They can see what the fans think about the sparks, the engines, the noise, the tyres, the potential tyre blanket ban, the DRS, and then they'll know what to do to make the fans happy. They should have a Twitter feed with tweets from teams, drivers, journos, etc.

It is good to see that FOM have released the official Formula 1 App, but they can do so much more with it. They have the live timing and driver tracker, but the driver tracker doesn't work well enough, as cars randomly speed up and down on it. They do not offer any on board cameras either. They should have at least 5 or 6. They don't have a pit lane channel whereas Sky does. 

I can kind of see why they don't have live onboard cameras and live streaming of the race, as people obviously have to pay for Sky coverage, but a YouTube channel would be great for them. 

Yeah, I forgot to mention that about narrow circuits. If they do change the rules then I hope that they change it to that because a standing start would be very silly in my opinion.

The people who make these suggestions need to open their eyes to the internet and the fans. It baffles me as to why Formula 1 does not have any official social media channels. They should have a Facebook page, Twitter page, and why oh why do they not have a YouTube page? So many more people are now watching Formula 1 on mobile devices for example and are not watching races live, so they wait for the highlights. F1 should be uploading some race highlights to their YouTube channel, even if they are 12 hours after the race finished, for example. They should have session previews and reviews, paddock tours, inside features, etc.

Their website should have polls and questionnaires to see what the fans think about the racing. Then they would see that double points and standing SC restarts are not wanted. They can see what the fans think about the sparks, the engines, the noise, the tyres, the potential tyre blanket ban, the DRS, and then they'll know what to do to make the fans happy. They should have a Twitter feed with tweets from teams, drivers, journos, etc.

It is good to see that FOM have released the official Formula 1 App, but they can do so much more with it. They have the live timing and driver tracker, but the driver tracker doesn't work well enough, as cars randomly speed up and down on it. They do not offer any on board cameras either. They should have at least 5 or 6. They don't have a pit lane channel whereas Sky does. 

I can kind of see why they don't have live onboard cameras and live streaming of the race, as people obviously have to pay for Sky coverage, but a YouTube channel would be great for them. 
Perhaps you should apply for a job as their marketing Director :p

I´ve got a question.
What do you think about the new penalty system?(with 12 points, 5 seconds penalty etc.)
I hate it because that are F1 one drivers. They usually don´t need a lock for a race. Moreover there´s no racing anymore sometimes because the 5 seconds penalty. The stewards are too strong. Look at Turn 8 in Austria. 

5 second penalties are infinitely better than the 25 second ones for sneezing though they should only be applied in very limited circumstances (3rd warning for corner cutting, passing under yellows, jump starts?)