Jump to content Jump to content

(PC) Pedal issues worse than ever since latest patch - assignments always reset themselves

mhutch1

Okay, so the game was originally unplayable for me due to enormous deadzones on the throttle/brake, however I tried the game again today to test out the latest patch and now my control assignments will no longer stay assigned. My throttle pedal is recognised as Rotate X+ and my brake as Rotate Y+. When I create a custom mapping and assign these in-game, they show up as such. However, when I exit the settings and go back in again they reset to Rotate X- and Rotate Y-.

So I remap them again and they show as + again.
Then I exit the settings and open up the controls again, and they are back to X- and Y-.

When I then get into a car, pressing my throttle kills the revs, while releasing it makes the revs bounce around.
Pressing the brake makes the car go to max revs. Releasing the brake makes the car brake.

I am at the end of my tether with this game, seriously.

Here is a video for proof and as a reference point.

I know I've said this a lot in different posts, but it has gotten me out of trouble twice: If all else fails, go to your Steam directory and delete your "appcache" folder, fire up your game through steam and see if that works. 
I've got a similar issue with my G27 that makes the game unplayable. On all other F1 games I use the left pedal (clutch) as a brake however in F1 2015 this is impossible. The pedal just shows up as "SLIDER2" with no + or -. This is ridiculous that almost a month after release the game is still unplayable for me and many other people...   
mmpaw37 said:

I've just upgraded my machine spending about 1k on a new machine...

I reinstalled the game today and have the same issues as everyone else??? - I try and make a custom configuration, and even though I choose the right analogue stick for accelerate and brake, all its doing is braking when I am on track!

I made some progress by selecting 'UP' on the right analogue stick for accelerate, but when I chose 'DOWN' for braking, I had to use the 'Invert' option...To cut a long story short, it accelerates fine, but when I 'release' the throttle, the car 'brakes' all by itself! ???

The game was fine up until today; there is nothing wrong with any other game, so I'm a tad baffled why this is happening...

The game IS broken until this gets a fix!

The problem here is that you need to set up two different axes. One for acceleration and one for brakes. The logitech profiler has an option to seperate axes. Had the same problem with my G25.
kabw said:
I've got a similar issue with my G27 that makes the game unplayable. On all other F1 games I use the left pedal (clutch) as a brake however in F1 2015 this is impossible. The pedal just shows up as "SLIDER2" with no + or -. This is ridiculous that almost a month after release the game is still unplayable for me and many other people...   
It is possible, I have G27 too, and using same setup, clutch for breaking.
Like you said, same for me clutch-Slider2 assigned to breaks
BUT!!!  there is an option to invert this assignment and while editing this control, look at the bottom right, should be an icon saying that some F... key (don't remember which was it) allows to invert action, and it worked for me.
And in my case, I have split axis ON.
  • 3 weeks later...
Alright so I decided to give this another go this evening since there have been 2 or 3 patches since I posted this thread with my video.

There has indeed been a change since then, Codemasters have added this message every time I open the game.

Great. So instead of fixing the problem they just say my pedals are unsupported and won't work. This setup (G27 pedals + bodnar cable) works perfectly in literally every other racing game on the market, INCLUDING F1 2010 to F1 2014, and all the GRID games by Codemasters!! It's a very common combination used by lots of simracers, including as far as I'm aware a certain David Greco??!!

Is it really that difficult for Codemasters to properly support something which:

a) they already supported just fine in all their other games over the last 6 years
b) is supported perfectly by Assetto Corsa, Stock Car Extreme, Project Cars, rFactor 1 and 2, iRacing....

• Codemasters Staff
mhutch1 said:
Alright so I decided to give this another go this evening since there have been 2 or 3 patches since I posted this thread with my video.

There has indeed been a change since then, Codemasters have added this message every time I open the game.

Great. So instead of fixing the problem they just say my pedals are unsupported and won't work. This setup (G27 pedals + bodnar cable) works perfectly in literally every other racing game on the market, INCLUDING F1 2010 to F1 2014, and all the GRID games by Codemasters!! It's a very common combination used by lots of simracers, including as far as I'm aware a certain David Greco??!!

Is it really that difficult for Codemasters to properly support something which:

a) they already supported just fine in all their other games over the last 6 years
b) is supported perfectly by Assetto Corsa, Stock Car Extreme, Project Cars, rFactor 1 and 2, iRacing....

Hi there. Yes I work here, and I would like more information on what is going on, because I have a similar setup, fanatec plus g27 pedals with leo bodnar cable and it works fine for me. If you could give me more info maybe we can figure out why it doesn't work for you. 
DGreco said:
mhutch1 said:

Hi there. Yes I work here, and I would like more information on what is going on, because I have a similar setup, fanatec plus g27 pedals with leo bodnar cable and it works fine for me. If you could give me more info maybe we can figure out why it doesn't work for you. 
Hi David, thank you for replying to me. I have had some different problems which have varied across patch releases. I actually have two setups, one is a DFGT + G27 pedals with Bodnar cable and the other is G27 + Fanatec CSP V2 pedals. 

On the original release - I had very big deadzones on both brake and accelerator, more than 50% on both pedals. This affected both my G27 and Fanatec pedals. 

After a few patches (not sure which one caused it as I didn't play the game for a while)  I got the problem in the video in my original post in this thread, where the pedal axis would constantly invert itself and the pedals didn't work at all and the  car would just rev itself etc. This issue was only on the G27 pedals. At this time the deadzone on my CSP V2s was gone but the brake pedal was hypersensitive. 

As of the most recent patch the axis invert problem is gone and I'm back to having large deadzones again on both my pedal sets. 

On the CSP V2 pedals specifically, since day one and regardless of deadzone, I have a lot of problems with the brakes locking no matter how gently I brake, like it is an on/off switch rather than an axis. When the deadzone issue wasn't there I  tried turning my load cell sensitivity way down so I physically couldn't push the pedal hard enough to achieve more than about 20% braking output and I was still instantly locking all 4 wheels in F1 2015 even when easing onto the pedal gently. If I use such low sensitivity in other games they barely acknowledge I'm braking at all!  I have a video example of this which I'll edit in later, I'm on my phone at the moment. 

I do realise the brakes are a bit more sensitive in 2015 but I am not a bad driver and reasonably good at threshold braking, and the brakes also don't behave this way if I use a gamepad, or if I plug my G27 pedals into the G27 wheel and use those instead, it's only when I'm using USB pedals and assigning them through a custom mapping. 

I have a similar problem using HPP Precision USB pedals, in custom configuration want to map both steer right and accelerate to x-axis. Also tried using a set of Fanatec pedals connected to wheel but have the same symptoms of very little range for both gas and brake. Barely touch gas and it will go full throttle, and will lock up brakes unless sensitivity is way down on the brake pedal.
  • Codemasters Staff
Sadly I believe in order to fix one issue the deadzone was put back in which makes it impossible to drive. I have tested a fix personally myself and as soon as it will go live it should fix this problem. The brake pedal is very sensitive and I tend to lock up sometimes. So in short I am aware of problems of deadzone since day one, and everyday we get new issues, but we are on top of it and trying to fix everything we can, and this deadzone issue is so frustrating to me as well, I am sure it will be solved, but for the sensitivity I never had an issue a part from a miscalculation on the g29 brake pedal on ps4, which is being fixed already. Let's wait for the next patch and see if the issue has been fixed and then let me know.
Okay, no problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the next patch!

Just for reference here is the video I mentioned earlier, it's a lap of Spa on a 360 controller then one with my normal G27/Fanatec pedals. The wheel/pedal lap starts at 1:58.  This was when the deadzone was gone (prior to 27/08 patch).

On the gamepad I can brake quite aggressively mostly without locking up (some small lock ups but easy to deal with) but the pedals are just horrible even when I try to be really really careful. I also have very little experience racing with a gamepad so it's definitely not that I'm just better on a controller. As I said I also don't have this issue when I use the G27 with its own pedals, only on the CSP V2s.

If I still have the same problem after the next patch I'll see if I can work out a way to record a lap with a pedal app overlay to show how little brake I'm actually applying when I lock up on my Fanatec pedals.
DGreco said:
Sadly I believe in order to fix one issue the deadzone was put back in which makes it impossible to drive. I have tested a fix personally myself and as soon as it will go live it should fix this problem. The brake pedal is very sensitive and I tend to lock up sometimes. So in short I am aware of problems of deadzone since day one, and everyday we get new issues, but we are on top of it and trying to fix everything we can, and this deadzone issue is so frustrating to me as well, I am sure it will be solved, but for the sensitivity I never had an issue a part from a miscalculation on the g29 brake pedal on ps4, which is being fixed already. Let's wait for the next patch and see if the issue has been fixed and then let me know.
Just tried it after today's patch, deadzone is gone and brake sensitivity is working great! I can now brake without locking up and spinning every time!!

Big thanks to you guys for sorting this out.

Now I can finally start working my way up the time trial leaderboards :smiley:
(the first couple of times seem a bit suspect so I'm going to claim I'm actually at least 5th!!!)
  • 2 weeks later...
I have a similar issue. I use a Fanatec Clubsport base and GT2 wheel and V2 pedals.  i can configure my controls and even save them to file but when I exit and restart the game, my control bindings are defaulted and the profile I saved is not there. It doesnt seem to save profiles at all.

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE @DGreco @Dnote

The last couple of patches have fixed my Fanatec Clubsport V2 pedals but I've only just had a chance to try out my other rig using G27 pedals via Bodnar cable and it still has huge deadzones on both throttle and brake!!!
  • Codemasters Staff
@mhutch1 please try changing back to one of the presets and then make your custom setup again. If it was created before the deadzone issues were fixed that's saved to the setup file so the incorrect deadzones will still be present. Let us know if that fixes it for you or not.
@Lozzy I set it to the Driving Force GT preset, started a time trial then went into settings and remapped the throttle/brake but the deadzone was still there. I then deleted F1 2015 from Steam altogether and redownloaded the entire game (!!) and tried again but the problem continued to persist. Interestingly my custom setup was still there when I opened the game after redownloading it (even though I have steam cloud sync off for F1) so maybe there is a file somewhere I could go manually delete?
mhutch1 said:
@Lozzy I set it to the Driving Force GT preset, started a time trial then went into settings and remapped the throttle/brake but the deadzone was still there. I then deleted F1 2015 from Steam altogether and redownloaded the entire game (!!) and tried again but the problem continued to persist. Interestingly my custom setup was still there when I opened the game after redownloading it (even though I have steam cloud sync off for F1) so maybe there is a file somewhere I could go manually delete?

You could try renaming or deleting the appchache folder in the steam directory (renaming probably a better idea) steam will create a new one.

Important! Do this only after exiting steam.

That should get rid of the previous custom config. If it doesn't work or affects other things, which it shouldn't, you can always delete the newly created appcache folder and rename original one back to the proper name.

As always do only if you feel confident in what you are doing.

Another useful link I found was for general steam problems (maybe even that nasty Error 41)

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

@RadioactiveJim didn't work unfortunately :(

@Lozzy I've now installed the game on a laptop I've never used these wheel/pedals with before at all, so there is no previous custom config to carry over and it still has the same problem. DFGT & G27 pedals via bodnar cable.
The appcache trick has helped me out twice with my G27 and new patch release issues. This is what I do:

Copy my Steam appcache folder to my desktop for backup, delete my Steam appcache folder, verify the integrity of my F1 2015 game cache, create new custom setup in game.
Im having problem,well a big problem with the pedal mapping on my Logitech GT Driving force! the mapping is staying the same no matter how much I change it. I'm unable to play the game since the latest patch.

You shouldn't have to be deleting this file or that file in order to play a game!!.

Iv been buying the f1 games for a long time,sadly I Don't think I will be buying 2016 until I get some feedback on the playable state of the game. Such a shame as the foundation is there but all these bugs is getting a joke to be honest!!

Archived