Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

[IMPROVEMENT] Stick shifter for gamepad?

This might sound ridiculous, but it's something I've never seen a racing game do, and I think might be really neat and I'm assuming wouldn't be too too difficult to implement?

My idea's two-fold: 

First: Map "clutch" to something like left bumper. That awesome fan-tutorial that got highlighted in the last update was all "e-brake, clutch, turn corner, drop clutch go" and I don't have an e-brake to press. I've been sorta making do by dropping into 2nd approaching acute turns and shifting to first halfway through, but I'm no car expert, I don't know if it's the same, but it feels like the engine-braking involved in shifting all the way back down to second before a turn almost always means that I'm stopped by the time I get there.

Or I'm just handling turning all wrong, I'll admit this game is my introduction to rallying as a whole.

And for the controversial second idea: Map the shifter to right stick. I know it's currently the "look a little bit" button, I don't know how much use it sees, I don't know how helpful of a compromise "Well make it control the camera unless you're holding the clutch down, then" is, but I feel like my idea's too never-been-done-before to pass up a chance to mention it to the devs.

In my head it would work like "hold left bumper, tilt right-stick left and then up for first, left then down for 2nd, up for third, down for 4th, right then up for 5th, right then down for 6th" That way people stuck with a gamepad don't have to miss out on all that cool shifting action.

I'm not too familiar with the different car's gearboxes, so I guess it would work differently for the 4-speed cars, a 6 speed car would have to click the joystick in to switch to reverse (or some other gesture), and for cars with sequential shifters I guess only flicking up or down would work. Maybe it's too many different settings, or maybe it'd give people the chance to learn and appreciate the differences between the cars and find a favorite

As it stands, cycling through the gears on a gamepad is a clunky process, but then again I'm only just recently learning that some of the rally cars can only change gears sequentially and so I'm assuming that's just how they actually work.

...I don't know, this idea sounds less complicated in practice but looks kind of like a mess written down. I just feel like there's a unique opportunity here to try an outside-the-box approach to making manual transmission accessible to gamepad users. At the very least it would be nice to have a clutch button

This is pretty much already in the game. If you use preset 2 it maps the right stick to gear up/down (change down is forward and change up is backward - as per real sequential shifter). The clutch gets engaged with the handbrake by the game already for cars that require that (some, like front wheel drive don't) so it doesn't need to be separate. Preset 2 has the handbrake mapped to A so you can drop your thumb off the right stick directly on to it.

Give it a try, it works pretty well. I can't play any other way now.

Oh huh. I guess I should have just checked the options first.

As for the clutch getting engaged with the handbrake, is that enough to tackle sharp corners the way the tutorial suggests it?

acealsius said:
Oh huh. I guess I should have just checked the options first.

As for the clutch getting engaged with the handbrake, is that enough to tackle sharp corners the way the tutorial suggests it?

Yep.

Well I guess I'll delete this thread then, thanks for the heads up.

[edit] never mind, can't figure out how. I generally don't use internet forums.

I really like the idea. What JonTucker is talking about is essentially X and B (XInput) mapped to down and up on the right stick. No real change. But with your setup, while in fifth gear, you could press left then down on the right stick while holding down left bumper to immediately switch to second gear, without going through all the gears between the two. The only caveat would be that you couldn't hold down hand-brake (mapped to A, I assume) while shifting. Otherwise, it sounds like a cool idea, if a little steep to learn. Kinda reminds me of the "Skate" series of games.

Above all, though, we need clutch on controllers. Period.