Problems with Fanatec wheel

I have a got a Fanatec CSL Elite base with the Formula V2 wheel, no mater what I do set up wise the car is absolutely terrible to drive. Just understeer all over the place. I have tried different set ups in the game and on the wheel but doesn’t seem to make any difference. I’m playing Career mode with haas. Is this a fault with the game or is just me. Because I’m losing interest in this game. Appreciate any help. Thanks Lee

Go to YouTube and find a video by Jarno Opmeer the F1 Exports Maestro , the title is My F1 2020 settings. He is using a Fanatec CSL Elite, his settings are very basic because he is just interested in going fast but you are not alone with understeer problems as I found it hard to get rid of mine on a Thrust master T300 the main thing that causes it is the set up of the car not your wheel settings and the most important thing of the settings is the tyre pressures as they affect tyre temperatures and this affects the grip in a big way just as it does in the real world of F1  , luckily I found this out while experimenting with set ups at  Marina bay street circuit where of course corner grip is vital , Now you have the ability to control the pressure of each tyre it is excellent as you can control the temperature  of each tyre individually , less pressure to cool the tyre and more to make it run hotter. I ended up with all four tyres running different pressures and it made a huge difference to handling .When the tyre is at the optimum temp it sticks to the track but only if you have the rest of the settings sorted . Watch this YouTube video and it will explain all you need to know , this is how I worked out the tyre temps thing. although he dismisses the tyre pressures as unimportant in the video ( clever work)  Anyway this is the video title 'How to master the set ups in F1 2020 - Marcel Kiefer' another Exports Maestro so he knows what he is talking about which is refreshing . Enjoy your new found grip when you hit the sweet spot it is such a joyful moment and worth the time it takes , Regards.

EDIT: I just noticed you are using the 2019 version of the game so the stuff above will still be relevant to a point but if you notice that Marcel Kiefer refers to 2019 set ups having less front end downforce importance in the setup requirements but other things are relevant .

Here is my FFB setting for 2019 who knows it may work on your FANATEC set up as well depending on the settings on your actual wheel

From top down = 100 60 65 53 0 OFF 360 this setting actually got rid of my major understeer problems regardless of car set ups but I found it helpful to add between 8 and 15 to wheel saturation in game wheel settings which has the effect of making the cars wheels turn faster than you are turning the steering wheel a sort way to make a lower ratio steering rack this is very helpful at street tracks like Monaco to get round the Station/ Loews hairpin corner etc

Edited by Exasperated
  • Like 1

Ok thank you for your help. Will have a look and hopefully sort out this annoying issue. I tried a few things out, slightly better but am still getting a lot of understeer. The Haas is the second fastest car and I’m struggling to make it into Q3. It doesn’t make sense and ruins the fun of the game. 

Edited by GARRETT150

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2021 at 12:28 PM, GARRETT150 said:

Ok thank you for your help. Will have a look and hopefully sort out this annoying issue. I tried a few things out, slightly better but am still getting a lot of understeer. The Haas is the second fastest car and I’m struggling to make it into Q3. It doesn’t make sense and ruins the fun of the game. 

That is bad news especially as you are using the so called best belt drive wheel ,it should be easier for you to get a decent set up ,I am not kidding you when I say that with my Thrust master T300 and the settings I gave you that the feeling and strength of the force feedback is great I feel the track surface through the wheel and down force effect on the car and even wheel grip changes when accelerating at the start ,I even feel the bounce off a curb , and with the right car set up I can race furiously against the AI set at the hard level. May be you should change your wheel to a T300 and try that instead.

Here are my car settings for the Marina bay street circuit to try , I was using the Red Bull. as Max ,give it a go and see if you can get some grip/ rotation .I use cockpit view set @ 0.35 FoV and 0.35 on horizontal Offset and look to apex 15.0 others 0.00 not sure if that would make a difference if you drive in another view you would have to test it .

Here is my Singapore car set up :

Aero  front 4 rear 6.  Trans On throt 70. Off 58  F camba -2.50 Rear -1.00,  Toe F&R both Min , Suspension from top to bottom 2 8 2 8 4 6. Brakes 60 p , Bias 51

Tyres Front 24.2psi Rear 21.9psi .

If you set your Fanatic in wheel settings at 360 degrees  and FFB strength at say 70 and everything else to off or zero you may make it easier to get results. Then use my in game FFB settings that are in my previous reply to you.

This is my in game Calibration set up starting from the top 0 0 8 11 94 0 15 100 15 .       throttle linearity set at 94 is to make the throttle less aggressive on the input all the way to about 80 percent of the stroke where it becomes rapid fire this is because I do not use any traction control assist and makes it easier to control the rear end of the car exiting corners which luckily isn't to bad on 2019 but wait till you try the 2020 game its vicious.

OK that's about it hope that may do something and improve your set up. If it doesn't maybe you should try a T300 it works great with dirt Rally titles & all other major driving console games if you have the games FFB St up in a certain way that is , not on the defaults usually unfortunately . Regards.

Have you got the latest patch for 2019 installed I do not know what the patch notes are but it is always good to start with the latest version of the game . Think its V1.22 ?

Also  you could try going to the  time trial part of the game and choose to use the fastest drivers set up at the track that you are qualifying at in career then save the fastest time trial drivers set up to your setup page then use it when you are qualifying in your career and if that does not kill the understeer maybe you need to be less aggressive when cornering and slow down more entering the corner with no braking input at all and use more balanced throttle until you can get to the apex and then get the car in line before thrashing it again., you may have heard the saying " Slow down to go faster "  saying that Its easier to have more fun on a lower AI setting as well so that its not so frustrating as it gives you a chance to recover and make some progress if you make a mistake in the race. I usually find at most tracks in career that the AI during practise and qualifying are warp factor fast and get frustrated being unable to set a time better than the mid field only to whiz past them all in the actual race and surprisingly end up in the top 5 or even on the podium it doesn't seem to make much sense but then again it does not make much sense that with wings front and rear set to 0 and presumably the least amount of drag does not make you run faster than having higher wing values depending on the set up being used.

EDIT: to anyone who is interested and did not already know this if you want to build speed on the straights in any of the F1 games then short shifting is the way to go faster, once you have come out of a corner and your rev lights have hit the end of the middle range of the LED's of the gear you came out of the corner in ; you should start changing gear rapidly every 1.5 to 2 seconds between gears and not rev out to the blue LED's,this also saves lots of fuel keeps the engine cool and saves wear on it , saved fuel can then be used in Rich mode via the MFD to boost engine power if you are running low on ERS to deploy and need to recharge. Revving out the engine to a high pitch sounds great but in the game does not build speed as well as short shifting and does not have the benefits of short shifts.

Edited by Exasperated

I played GT Sport and feels brilliant on there, must be some setting’s that need sorting out 

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2021 at 2:55 PM, GARRETT150 said:

I played GT Sport and feels brilliant on there, must be some setting’s that need sorting out 

GT Sport and AC are examples of games where you can easily get something sorted on most wheels because the have strong signals from the game  AC makes a T300 into a beast with high levels of FFB and shows its true potential , all. driving  games need their team to design the FFB and no one would complain about having any problems .At least you found something to race on it is good but not very raw , its almost too realistic and clean and  precise which makes the racing feel abit numb to me , Regards.

Regarding finding a FFB setting that works and that you actually like in my experience could take trying hundreds of variations of the settings and may take 6months or a year to get it how you like it to be.

Edited by Exasperated

Just a thought if you haven't already got them F1 2018 may give you a better set up and looks pretty much the same as the later games and F1 2017 drives well and has the strongest FFB settings/ effects  ,less chance of understeer problems that I have had in any of the F1 games , except back in the days of the PS3 versions  both those titles may be worth a try. REgards.

Edited by Exasperated

Areas to concentrate on relating to the grip on track in the FFB settings are 'On track effects this will make the surface feel like ice at one end or treacle at the other . The other setting is the Wheel damper setting this can help to reduce understeer to a point where it almost doesn't exist in some cases regardless of car St ups , not guaranteed but worth a try. Both these with the overall strength of feed back setting to control their feel is a way to get something happening.

Edited by Exasperated