Sign in to follow this  

2014 Austrian Grand Prix

Formula 1 Grosser Preis von Osterreich 2014
Red Bull Ring, Spielberg

Here we go then, we return to Austria for the first time in Formula 1 since 2003. It used to be called the A1 Ring, but now it's been given a nice makeover with tarmac run offs here and there by Red Bull, and lets hope this short track gives us a good race.

Rosberg will win this one, Red Bull will be close and Pastor's going to crash or spin at least 3 times.

Rosberg will win this one, Red Bull will be close and Pastor's going to crash or spin at least 3 times.
First lap predictions  huh? ;)

There could be a possibility of rain for all 3 days.. 

Also, Raikkonen, Button and Alonso are the only drivers in the current grid who raced at the last race there.

I'm really really looking forward to this race. Good to see an old European classic back on the calendar, and the location of this place is just stunning. As a general race fan I'm extremely pumped. As a Red Bull fan though I don't share your guys optimism. There's enough straights to keep Red Bull way off the tails of Mercedes I think.

Didn't you fancy going to watch this live Dan?

I used to like watching races on the old A1 ring, so i'm hopeful for a good weekend's racing.  It'll be interesting to me to see how the Red Bull ring differs from the old A1 ring - if at all?

My money is on Nico Rosberg as I read he loved this circuit at F3 category some 10+ years ago.  Lots of his fanbase will migrate over the border to support him too I expect.

However, if we're due Mike96's rain predication... Maldonado for a freak podium as everyone else collides except him!  >:)

That made me laugh, but I still want to press 'disagree' because it CANNOT possibly happen. Must... Resist. Was... Funny.

VetteIfan said:
I'm really really looking forward to this race. Good to see an old European classic back on the calendar, and the location of this place is just stunning. As a general race fan I'm extremely pumped. As a Red Bull fan though I don't share your guys optimism. There's enough straights to keep Red Bull way off the tails of Mercedes I think.

Didn't you fancy going to watch this live Dan?
I've seen it in 2003, nothing will ever come close to that. :P

Besides, due to the fact that they've moved the race one week forward it happens right before exam-time, which means I would need to get my head straight until Monday morning and that's just not going to happen.

Maybe next year.

DJ007 said:
 Lots of his fanbase will migrate over the border to support him too I expect.

Nico Rosberg hasn't got a fanbase. He has most of the Hamilton-haters on his side because he's the only one who can stop him from winning this years WDC. ;)

That made me laugh, but I still want to press 'disagree' because it CANNOT possibly happen. Must... Resist. Was... Funny.

in that case hit the funny button instead simples :p

I think it's safe to say that the start finish straight will be the DRS zone or at least 1 of them

I believe the second DRS zone is actually on the run down from T2 to T3, and not surprisingly on the run up from T1 to T2.

I believe the second DRS zone is actually on the run down from T2 to T3, and not surprisingly on the run up from T1 to T2.
I don't think the FIA have announced them yet.

I'm curious if the drivers will be allowed to run completely wide at T1 as they were back in 2003. That was a bit dull tbh.

mike96 said:
I don't think the FIA have announced them yet.
yeah I tried looking up where the DRS zones are and couldn't find anything would have thought though that it'll be the start finish straight or between turns 1 and 2 for the main one they usually pick the most logical places to put them. Most of the tracks have them where it makes the most sense anyway. Hockenheim was where I thought it would be as was Yas Marina. Hungary and Canada too are put in the best places. I think that'll be the case here too

I predict the Red Bull cars will grow wings and one of them will win with a last lap pass...

SynGamer said:
I predict the Red Bull cars will grow wings and one of them will win with a last lap pass...
Daniel Ricciardo will hope so anyway  as I'm sure Vettel will too

An article with a gallery from the austrian gridgirls we're going to see on Sunday. AMuS.

Thought a bit of eye-candy was needed in here.