Sign in to follow this  

DiRTbox

I am not a fan of Windows (loyal Mac user) but I will admit that a PC is a much better platform for gaming and I got tired of bootcamp.  So I am a big fan of DiRT and I thought it would be a fun way to show how I feel about Windows/DiRT/my choice of Case (silverstone FT-03 mATX).  So I came up with this design:

I used vehicle wrap vinyl.

PC Specs are basic but good enough to get 40fps at 2560x1440 with DiRT3.

Anyhow, just thought I would share.

Words will never truly express just how much we love you Greg.

Now gimmie some hard specs man! 

oh and just out of interest what's with the colours on the side?

That tyre marker on the side is epic. Awesome job there! That should go in this week's round up I reckon :)

Words will never truly express just how much we love you Greg.

Gimmie some hard specs man! 

oh and just out of interest what's with the colours on the side?

Colors?  I just needed to add something other than brown/gray.  I like the 2013 KB livery (80s throwback), there is some sort of lightning bolts with halftones in the scheme so I took from that.  It ended up out of boredom and I added it last minute.  The great thing about vinyl is that I can change it whenever.  So till I get inspired again and find the time, I'll do a new 'livery' :)

My specs:

i5-4430 haswell
gigabyte z87mx-d3h mb
2x evga gtx-660 sli
4gb ram (enough for now)
120gb ssd
750w corsair psu
silverstone ft-03 mATX case

connected to iMac 27in display (yea it does external input via display port) 

What else do I list?  Never had anything worth telling about.

@justbiglee  Hey, I am just a fan, I like rally, gaming, and art.  I thought this was just a fun project to do, not really trying to gush over you guys, just all having some fun.

That tyre marker on the side is epic. Awesome job there! That should go in this week's round up I reckon :)
@PeteTheDuck  Thanks, thats how it started out, it was actually the hardest part!  I had it draw it from scratch (no rally tire clipart) then it was trying to find the best place to put it without over-doing it.  Took a while to get it to what I thought looked right.

No need to add me to the roundup, its not that great.

That is awesome. I would love to do something like that for my PC. I would need room for my water cooler and stupid amounts of fans though.

What a BEAST of a PC!

Amazing!

I wish I had a fun station like yours @gfRally :)

I'm very close to a decision to buy a gaming PC this summer (once bonus is paid...). There just aren't any PS4 racing games and judging by some youtube videos GRID Autosport looks very very good on PC :)

Envy.... 
^:)^

What a BEAST of a PC!

Amazing!

I'm very close to a decision to buy a gaming PC this summer (once bonus is paid...). There just aren't any PS4 racing games and judging by some youtube videos GRID Autosport looks very very good on PC :)

Envy.... 
@mastavonblasta

I used to own a xbox 360, it was nice to have and use in my living room.  But I have always had a desktop so I always had some games there too.  My other passion is aviation and with that is flight simulators, and xbox really isn't a platform for flightsims.  So again I ended up on my desktop computer playing games.  Then I put together some switch boxes for the sim modded some joysticks, etc.  There isn't enough flexibility with consoles for me.  I guess you have to figure in a investment that pc parts will have a shorter lifecycle (get outdated) than a console, but there is an upgrade path too that doesn't have to be extremely expensive (upgrade part by part).  

Working on a modded steering wheel with rally style seq shifter and handbrake next.  I'll post some pix soon.

@jontucker1 nah that cool, you have/drive a real rally car! I can't touch that coolness by a long shot.  

Awesome job! Though with the title of the thread I was afraid I was going to see a photo of something I really didn't want to see when I opened the thread up!

What a BEAST of a PC!

Amazing!

Envy.... 
@gfRally 's DiRTbox inspired me to look into PCs myself. I'm almost finished with a build of a mid-tower ATX PC, which should work well with a 1080p TV (GTX 770) It won't have a fancy wrap (it'll be boring black), but I'll post a pic as I'm proud of myself :P

@GentleNameMVB lol glad you liked it! if you would like something similar to the wrap on mine pm me, we'll talk.

Edited for spelling, sorry, *#&$ phone autocorrect!

I have some more surprises later, but they will have to wait, I want to show the completed project, not midway thru

GOD DAMMIT GREG DON'T TEASE US LIKE THIS!!!!!

Keep it up @gfRally, see how he like it! :D

I like this, but I am much less creatively skilled than gfrally.

I may go for the simple option of creating my own by dragging an old PC through a field of mud and then leaving it with the neighbors dog to chew on for a couple of days.

I will post the results.

Here are a couple of pics of MVB PC: http://imgur.com/a/Yonsr

A lot less cool than the DiRTbox, but works well in a living room and will serve its purpose. It ran Grid Autosport very well last night and I hope it will be good enough to run the next DiRT at good settings.

Main specs:
i7-4790K at 4,0GHz
2GB GeForce GTX770 (overclocked version with three fans from Gigabyte)
8GB of RAM (GSkill something something)
ASUS Z87-PRO motherboard
250 GB Samsung EVO SSD
2 x 1TB HDD in RAID config for storage

Of course I went over budget, but I'm reasonably confident this PC will do its job well for 2-3 years

Thanks to couple of guys from Codies forms for tips and advice ( @gfRally, @Britpoint1 and @ginginho)

A lot less cool than the DiRTbox, but works well in a living room and will serve its purpose. It ran Grid Autosport very well last night and I hope it will be good enough to run the next DiRT at good settings.

Main specs:
i7-4790K at 4,0GHz
ASUS Z87-PRO motherboard
250 GB Samsung EVO SSD

Of course I went over budget, but I'm reasonably confident this PC will do its job well for 2-3 years

Thanks to couple of guys from Codies forms for tips and advice ( @gfRally, @Britpoint1 and @ginginho)
MVB: great looking case, killer specs too, so much for integrated video! lol.

gfRally said:

Main specs:
i7-4790K at 4,0GHz
ASUS Z87-PRO motherboard
250 GB Samsung EVO SSD

MVB: great looking case, killer specs too, so much for integrated video! lol.
Thanks Greg and thanks for your tips.

When I thought of using integrated HD4600 graphics I didn't really know how good they were... Once I've done some checking and realised how much better the GTX770 I had to do something about it :)

I'm very happy with it turned out and how it's running :D

wow! such monster PCs. Hopefully I'll have something of that level soon. It'll take about 3 years of planned upgrades, but I can wait. my current spec should still run the new gen. games @ medium settings @ 720p or 1080p (depending on how graphically demanding and how optimized each game is). it does the latest last gen and cross gen @ high, so i'll be allright.