Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

H-shifter stuck in gear when missed shift after RX update

So I know the RX update brought a fix for a very unsettling bug: using a H shifter sometimes the gearbox would jump to neutral. I can confirm that I no longer encounter this behaviour and this is excellent.

However, now I have something even worst. When I miss a gear shift (clutch too early for example), the gearbox is stuck in the previous gear and it takes a while to get it in neutral again in order to engage the next gear. Typically I will press the clutch and set my shifter in neutral and wait 1-2 sec for the box to revert to neutral in game. This is new behaviour, and totally unacceptable - 2sec lost fiddling with the gearbox in rally usually means losing time, at least, and most often crashing.

Please find a fix, as it is it has rendered H shifter gameplay unusable for me!

Rig info, though I’m not sure it’s relevant: Logitech G27, Win7 64bit, Xeon E3 v2 and Radeon R290, 8gb ram.

I am also experiencing this issue, using a G27 shifter.  It makes using the h-shifter and clutch very tiresome.

Same thing here, every time I miss a shift (which happens rather easily,) there's some odd fiddling involved to get it back into neutral.

Yup same here too - TH8RS shifter with T500RS wheel. I find the only way to get going again is to shift to neutral, release the clutch, rev the engine up which will then shift the car in game to neutral. Then you can reselect the gear and carry on. Very costly on time - especially when trying to boot it out of a hairpin at Monaco or Greece.

Was happy to see the end of the random gear pop out though :smile: 

Put some deadzone for clutch pedal so you won't miss gear that often.

Do the calibration in the game for wheel and pedals but don't push clutch pedal all the way down. Push it slowly until it shows like 90% and then end the calibration(go through rest of it). After this everytime you hit at least 90% of clutch it is 100% in the game. This helped me a lot, like 80% less missed gears.

I have the same issue!
Karik, its nothing to really do with the clutch; it was easy enough before the update to easily fix a bad gear-change by using the clutch and shifting appropriately; but now its got to the point where I have to slam the H-shifter around (with the clutch always depressed!) in order to get the bloody gear in-game to shift. I'm sure its an issue with the game itself, I have no problems using it in other racing games.
The temporary fix I've found is to actually push down on the shifter knob while its in the stuck gear, and then move it (again, with the clutch depressed).
I hope codies fix this in a hotfix, it gets really frustrating having to fiddle with the shifter when it used to work fine before :(

+1 for me too.
I have to leave it in neutral for a couple of seconds before it will pop out.

I have the same issue!
Karik, its nothing to really do with the clutch; it was easy enough before the update to easily fix a bad gear-change by using the clutch and shifting appropriately; but now its got to the point where I have to slam the H-shifter around (with the clutch always depressed!) in order to get the bloody gear in-game to shift. I'm sure its an issue with the game itself, I have no problems using it in other racing games.
The temporary fix I've found is to actually push down on the shifter knob while its in the stuck gear, and then move it (again, with the clutch depressed).
I hope codies fix this in a hotfix, it gets really frustrating having to fiddle with the shifter when it used to work fine before :(
Does it happen if you don't press clutch 100% down before moving gearstick? Or randomly even if clutch is pressed 100%?

For example: you're using gear 2 > you press the clutch all the way down(100%) before moving gearstick to change for gear 3 > gear change doesn't happen and it's still on gear 2.
Does it happen like that? Then it is a new issue.

Topic starter said something about "clutch too early" which I don't understand at all.

You should all still try my advice to calibrate clutch pedal to have a deadzone (10-20% should do) to see if it helps.

karik134 said:
I have the same issue!
Does it happen if you don't press clutch 100% down before moving gearstick? Or randomly even if clutch is pressed 100%?

For example: you're using gear 2 > you press the clutch all the way down(100%) before moving gearstick to change for gear 3 > gear change doesn't happen and it's still on gear 2.
Does it happen like that? Then it is a new issue.

Topic starter said something about "clutch too early" which I don't understand at all.

You should all still try my advice to calibrate clutch pedal to have a deadzone (10-20% should do) to see if it helps.
I should have been more clear: when i miss a shift, it’s usually because i was doing it too quickly and started releasing the clutch before the lever was in the desired gear all the way. Since the G27 shifter only detects a gear position when the lever reaches the end of that gear’s position, the game considers it a bad shift. I know i should improve my technique (though i already have less than 1% misses), but this kind of small mistake should not be penalized so much. I compete against people using auto or sequential boxes in Leagues, it’s hard to lose because of box issues and not real driving skill differences.

^Have you tried setting deadzone(like 20%) for clutch? It should help both ways, if you are too late on the clutch or realeasing it too early.

In the ingame calibration push the clutch-pedal down only 80%  and you will a deadzone of  20% for it (meaning 80% of clutch or more  is detected as 100%).

"Since the G27 shifter only detects a gear position when the lever reaches the end of that gear’s position, the game considers it a bad shift"
If this is the reason then it's a hardware issue and codemasters can't fix your shifter.

For me, these missed shifts were because the clutch wasn't held in for long enough, or pressed too late.  I found a clutch deadzone of 0 and saturation of 50% helped a lot, as the clutch will be depressed shallower into the pedal movement and it stays in for longer.

Edit: Found my issue. The update inexplicably reset my pedal settings, leaving the clutch on a 10% deadzone (who even uses a deadzone on a clutch), with a 100% saturation meaning half the time when i thought  I had the clutch pressed fully (i.e i can feel the pedal stop) the game wasn't registering it. How silly.

Edit: Found my issue. The update inexplicably reset my pedal settings, leaving the clutch on a 10% deadzone (who even uses a deadzone on a clutch), with a 100% saturation meaning half the time when i thought  I had the clutch pressed fully (i.e i can feel the pedal stop) the game wasn't registering it. How silly.
Seems like a potential fix for missed shifts, I’ll try it. Doesn’t really change the weird behaviour of the game when you miss a shift, though, or explain why it was changed.

Now I noticed the problem. Yeah if you miss a gear you have to wait approx 1second until it goes to neutral. Before the RX update you didn't have to wait and it was faster to correct a miss shift.

Mine had a deadzone and 80% saturation.. Hope this helps! Thanks for the tip!