Sign in to follow this  

Can the safety car come out for dangerous driving conditions?

I am currently mid race at Silverstone in S1 of my Driver career. Pre race the weather forecast included an icon I haven’t seen before. A rain cloud with a lightning bolt. Firstly I would ask, does anyone know what this is? I thought stormy conditions. I believed I saw a flash of lightning and you cannot see the end of the straight because it is so dark and grey.

Secondly, can the safety car be called out in game due to these type of conditions? I am yet to finish so cannot watch replays to see if there was an incident. Nobody is out of the race and there were no incidents on the lap it came out, according to the incident log.

I will update at the end of the race, once I’ve had a chance to watch the replays to be certain whether there were any incidents I missed.

Thanks in advance for any help and replies.

UPDATE: Race ended, definitely no incident that would bring out a safety car. Attached are a couple of images of the conditions on track.

7D0EE998-F178-4736-98FC-ED0AECEDBBB7.jpeg

8B7FDF01-F4DF-4BE1-BF7D-B64BFAE597E1.jpeg

Edited by Y2Kev
Extra information

Yes to both. I had a storm in Austria and the safety car came out until it cleared a bit. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Under those conditions in real live / session would be stopped! 
unfortunately too often these conditions as well in Multiplayer/ and too often rain in all modes overall ...

• Disagree 2

Must say I haven't had it happen in a race I drove in this game. But in f1 2019 we've had multiple occasions of rain causing the safety car and I assume It's still in. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tarrantino said:

Yes to both. I had a storm in Austria and the safety car came out until it cleared a bit. 

Thank you tarrantino for your response. Had it been a longer distance I don’t know how long the safety car would have come out for, but since it was 25% distance it was only out 3 laps, which I believe is the maximum for this race distance.

4 hours ago, Bicarda said:

Must say I haven't had it happen in a race I drove in this game. But in f1 2019 we've had multiple occasions of rain causing the safety car and I assume It's still in. 

Thanks for your reply, Bicarda, this is the first time in the F1 games over several years I’ve seen this. I didn’t realise it was a feature and am pretty impressed by it.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, Shark2Racing said:

Under those conditions in real live / session would be stopped! 
unfortunately too often these conditions as well in Multiplayer/ and too often rain in all modes overall ...

Yes, I imagine there would be a red flag in real life. I can honestly say that I don’t get too much rain or wet sessions. It’s all random in career mode though, isn’t it? For multiplayer I believe that the host selects the weather, don’t they?

Just now, Y2Kev said:

Yes, I imagine there would be a red flag in real life. I can honestly say that I don’t get too much rain or wet sessions. It’s all random in career mode though, isn’t it? For multiplayer I believe that the host selects the weather, don’t they?

Depends totally on the conditions and the circumstances... we've had examples of both in real life aplenty. i can recall only 2 or 3 red flags for rain in as long as I watch f1. and a lot more safety car situations in recent years. 

You can select the weather as host but you can't set this type of weather. When we had it happen in the last game (it happened twice to me in 2000 hours of playing that game and a lot of league races so really really not often) it was on dynamic and only for a lap or 5 until it eased off again. but it was hella cool and scary. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Y2Kev said:

Thank you tarrantino for your response. Had it been a longer distance I don’t know how long the safety car would have come out for, but since it was 25% distance it was only out 3 laps, which I believe is the maximum for this race distance.

Thanks for your reply, Bicarda, this is the first time in the F1 games over several years I’ve seen this. I didn’t realise it was a feature and am pretty impressed by it.

Think it was 3-4 laps max myself at 100% distance. 

• Thanks 1

Yes this happened in one of our league races. The rain was so heavy in china the Safety Car was triggered.

• Thanks 1