Jump to content Jump to content

Not as good as expected. 

I've recently upgraded from an RTX 2060 Super to an RTX 3080 graphics card and I'm using an Oculus Rift S.

The graphics don't look much different in ultra vs. medium-high and I still experience what seems like medium level textures and terrible pop in of objects short distances from the camera view. I also see a kind of pixelated texture/mask on trees and grass. It's all quite jarring and immersion breaking in VR.

Project Cars 2 seems to fare better in VR from my experience so far. 

8 hours ago, AngryFerret said:

Not as good as expected. 

I've recently upgraded from an RTX 2060 Super to an RTX 3080 graphics card and I'm using an Oculus Rift S.

The graphics don't look much different in ultra vs. medium-high and I still experience what seems like medium level textures and terrible pop in of objects short distances from the camera view. I also see a kind of pixelated texture/mask on trees and grass. It's all quite jarring and immersion breaking in VR.

Hi, I'm running DR2 VR via Oculus Rift S with GTX 1660 Ti atm.. medium/high settings with 2xmsaa and ASW forced on.. Graphics are "acceptable", but could be a lot better.. I was thinking of upgrading to a RTX 3080 and a i9-10xxx so that hardware wouldn't be a bottleneck.. Is it really so that you can't turn things up to make it good looking? Have you tried upping the pixel per display pixel override with theOculus debug tool, I thought that could bring some improvements?

Edited by Kur Delli
typo
10 hours ago, AngryFerret said:

Not as good as expected. 

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering if i had had set something up wrong or my pc wasn't up to scratch. I will give project cars a shot.

Thank you

7 hours ago, Kur Delli said:

Hi, I'm running DR2 VR via Oculus Rift S with GTX 1660 Ti atm.. medium/high settings with 2xmsaa and ASW forced on.. Graphics are "acceptable", but could be a lot better.. I was thinking of upgrading to a RTX 3080 and a i9-10xxx so that hardware wouldn't be a bottleneck.. Is it really so that you can't turn things up to make it good looking? Have you tried upping the pixel per display pixel override with theOculus debug tool, I thought that could bring some improvements?

I played around with multisampling and anisotropic filtering and those make a decent difference when maxed, but still for me, the texture qualities vary wildly. Also with super sampling I have tried with default and 1.5X so far. With everything on max I'm left with 0-5% performance headroom. Reducing shadows to medium brought that headroom up to 20-30% with very little visual difference. 

I use Ribadelles ascent course to test when I'm changing settings, as courses like Monaco seem to not highlight the shortcomings so much. If you go off the road down into the hills slightly (5-10 meters) and drive up to some bushes/brush, you should find that there's a mix of decent quality 3D bushes among low resolution 2D brush right next to the car. I'm not sure if it's not "popping in"/upscaling when you get closer or if it really is designed to be that low res. You will probably notice trees popping in not far from your view as you drive through. It's very noticeable in VR as we're closer to the display and so bad details are just more obvious. 

Anyway, even with these issues I still thoroughly enjoy Dirt Rally 2.0 in VR. Ideally the developers could take a look and let us know if there is something going wrong or if there's something we can do to improve the graphics through settings. Most of the discussion on VR I've seen has been around getting better performance rather than best quality, but with 3000 series GPUs we are looking for that quality.

I'll try add pictures tonight to give people an idea of what I'm seeing for comparison.

For reference my PC is R7 3700X, 32GB 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX OC 3080.

• Agree 1
  • 2 months later...

So 

On 2/8/2021 at 11:28 AM, AngryFerret said:

Not as good as expected. 

So this is just what Dirt Rally 2.0 looks like for everyone? I thought it was maybe a software setting or something. Honestly Dirt Rally 1 looks way better. If I'd have known DR2 looked this bad in VR I wouldn't have bought it. You would think the next installment of the game would look better not worse.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't agree with the negative view here. For me DR2 is one of the best games in VR, the graphics are really good and the game is completely controllable with the steering wheel it also runs very stable. It has good cockpit models and transports this feel of sitting in the car. Unfortunately, VR has never received the appropriate support from Codemasters, be it simpler things like brightness fix or extended seat movement.

The pop in distance optimization for example could only done by changing of some parameters in the config files.

• Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Agree with Peter, VR is not perfect DR 2.0 at all, but it's still a thrilling experience. I have over 200 hours clocked up on steam to prove it - all in VR. I would say that the Oculus run version seemed to be more stable than Steam. I used to use an Oculus Quest with a GTX 1660 and got very acceptable performance, but when I "upgraded" to an HTC Vive Cosmos, I had to upgrade my graphics card as well. I've got an RX 6800 XT now and can run virtually everything ultra with 150% supersampling. Driving in VR in the wet needs to be experienced to be believed.

I do sympathise with the performance issues people are having with VR though. I was constantly tinkering with the in game and steam VR settings for ages until I was happy.

16 hours ago, uz1l0v3r said:

Agree with Peter, VR is not perfect DR 2.0 at all, but it's still a thrilling experience. I have over 200 hours clocked up on steam to prove it - all in VR. I would say that the Oculus run version seemed to be more stable than Steam. I used to use an Oculus Quest with a GTX 1660 and got very acceptable performance, but when I "upgraded" to an HTC Vive Cosmos, I had to upgrade my graphics card as well. I've got an RX 6800 XT now and can run virtually everything ultra with 150% supersampling. Driving in VR in the wet needs to be experienced to be believed.

I do sympathise with the performance issues people are having with VR though. I was constantly tinkering with the in game and steam VR settings for ages until I was happy.

Once you got it working the VR experience is indeed thrilling. But many of us don't get it working at all, this is the only game that I have that doesn't support WMR officially. The ONLY game, all other VR sim racing games support all VR headsets.  Only codemasters decided to not support all headsets, so the support from Codemaster on VR is terrible, there simply isn't any support for it other then Oculus and HTC and Index. It's also unbelievable but true that CM refuses to give any feedback to the community on their reasons for this. Besides that, every single request from the community is ignored(the brightness fix is asked for since the START of it, and they never told us why it isn't fixed(but now it's fixed by the community itself thank fully)), only their social media strategist replies here, not a single other CM teammember is allowed to give feedback on this subject. I hope that DR3 will have VR support for all, so that everyone can enjoy VR in this game and that they indeed also focus on performance and stability improvements for all headsets because once you got it working (which is close to impossible for some users(WMR)) then the experience is one of the best VR experiences that there is.

4 hours ago, GuusHugo said:

Once you got it working the VR experience is indeed thrilling. But many of us don't get it working at all, this is the only game that I have that doesn't support WMR officially. The ONLY game, all other VR sim racing games support all VR headsets.  Only codemasters decided to not support all headsets, so the support from Codemaster on VR is terrible, there simply isn't any support for it other then Oculus and HTC and Index. It's also unbelievable but true that CM refuses to give any feedback to the community on their reasons for this. Besides that, every single request from the community is ignored(the brightness fix is asked for since the START of it, and they never told us why it isn't fixed(but now it's fixed by the community itself thank fully)), only their social media strategist replies here, not a single other CM teammember is allowed to give feedback on this subject. I hope that DR3 will have VR support for all, so that everyone can enjoy VR in this game and that they indeed also focus on performance and stability improvements for all headsets because once you got it working (which is close to impossible for some users(WMR)) then the experience is one of the best VR experiences that there is.

Ive told you before Guus, games amd game devs dont support individual vr headsets, they support vr platforms. Dirt rally 1 supports oculus as a platform only, and dirt rally 2.0 supports oculus as a platform and steamvr as a platform. The vr platforms are what support the individual headsets, not the games themselves.

At the time dirt rally 2 released, windows mixed reality was all but a dead platform; so there was no real need to build in direct windows mixed reality support.

The hp reverb g1 released after dirt rally 2.0 did, and that vr headset gave WMR much needed kiss of life. Dirt rally 2 released in February 2019, the original hp reverb released in March 2019. It wasnt till about September 2019 that the hp reverb picked up momentum. Which then lead to the improved reverb g2. 

This is why you have to rely on Steamvr, not because codemasters was been lazy or didnt care. But because at the time dr2 released and at the time the vr version was been built, wmr was an all but dead vr platform.

And lets not forget that the reverb g2 is packing 2160x2160 resolution per eye, making it the only headset in existence that is making people with even 3080's and 8+ core cpus have to run it at 50% resolution in damn near any vr title worth playing.

Ive told you all this before Guus, and i also told you that you are a victim of wanting the latest and greatest VR headset on the market, which no one can even use to its full potential at this point in time.

You may be able to get it to run in other titles with some form of stable frame rate. But you have to sacrifice a lot of that native resolution in order to do so. Every decent review of the reverb G2 that i have seen, has in the "cons" section "cant run anywhere near native resolution". With most stating they are forced to use it to about 50% or less of the native resolution.

Quite honestly, you need to stop thread hijacking to push your problems. The issue been talked about in here isnt about vr performance but about the quality of the visuals while in vr. People are specifically talking about low res looking textures, and grapical pop in. Not about frame rate instability or anything else to do with actual game performance.

There is a thread for problems with the reverb g2 and dirt rally 2. And quite frankly, your turning into a spam artist on this forum over this reverb g2 stuff.

On 4/26/2021 at 9:23 AM, Peter Mathen said:

The pop in distance optimization for example could only done by changing of some parameters in the config files. 

This is a very important thing to note, the hardware_config_vr file in tthe documents folder on your pc has a lot of additional options you can change in order to reduce some of the pop in.

What you are seeing is just LOD shifting. So the closer you get to a particular graphical item, the better it will look. The further away you get, the worse it will look. This happens in all games, but it is very noticable in VR. Dirt Rally 2 as the lod settings fairly strict, so the graphics dont improve till you get really close to the particular items in your view. It was believed this was done by codemasters to make the overall performance better in VR, but some of the lod settings can be changed in the above mentioned xml file.

Do keep in mind that changing the lod settings can decrease your available performance. So adjust in small increments.

In the grand scheme of things, dr2.0 isnt the prettiest vr title out there. We only really have vr in dr2.0 as it is because oculus themselves offered their assistance with it. And i say this as someone who loves playing Dirt Rally 2 in vr. Experience wise, it is one of the best vr racing experiences there is.

Important general tip for anyone playing this game in vr. Set screen space reflections, night light, crowds and vehicle details all to "low". Regardless of what other settings you use, these ones listed cause weird fps issues.

Vehicle details set above "low" for instance, causes weird stuttering when the vehicle headlights are turned on.

Crowds set above "low" causes stuttering whenever crowds are in view or clase by.

Screen space reflections severally lowers the general performance headroom.

Night let set above "low" causes weird stuttering around stage side lighting.

• Agree 2
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Ive told you before Guus, games amd game devs dont support individual vr headsets, they support vr platforms. Dirt rally 1 supports oculus as a platform only, and dirt rally 2.0 supports oculus as a platform and steamvr as a platform. The vr platforms are what support the individual headsets, not the games themselves. 

At the time dirt rally 2 released, windows mixed reality was all but a dead platform; so there was no real need to build in direct windows mixed reality support.

The hp reverb g1 released after dirt rally 2.0 did, and that vr headset gave WMR much needed kiss of life. Dirt rally 2 released in February 2019, the original hp reverb released in March 2019. It wasnt till about September 2019 that the hp reverb picked up momentum. Which then lead to the improved reverb g2. 

This is why you have to rely on Steamvr, not because codemasters was been lazy or didnt care. But because at the time dr2 released and at the time the vr version was been built, wmr was an all but dead vr platform.

And lets not forget that the reverb g2 is packing 2160x2160 resolution per eye, making it the only headset in existence that is making people with even 3080's and 8+ core cpus have to run it at 50% resolution in damn near any vr title worth playing.

Ive told you all this before Guus, and i also told you that you are a victim of wanting the latest and greatest VR headset on the market, which no one can even use to its full potential at this point in time.

You may be able to get it to run in other titles with some form of stable frame rate. But you have to sacrifice a lot of that native resolution in order to do so. Every decent review of the reverb G2 that i have seen, has in the "cons" section "cant run anywhere near native resolution". With most stating they are forced to use it to about 50% or less of the native resolution.

Quite honestly, you need to stop thread hijacking to push your problems. The issue been talked about in here isnt about vr performance but about the quality of the visuals while in vr. People are specifically talking about low res looking textures, and grapical pop in. Not about frame rate instability or anything else to do with actual game performance. 

There is a thread for problems with the reverb g2 and dirt rally 2. And quite frankly, your turning into a spam artist on this forum over this reverb g2 stuff. 

As I told you already before: I don't agree with your standpoint at all. ALL other sim racing game developers ALL decided to support simply each headset/platform. Only CodeMasters decided to not support WMR headsets/platform and made specific choices. And that the hope for all WMR users is that DR3 supports ALL headsets/platforms is a fair thing to say here, there is nothing "hijacked" at all, it's an issue that should be addressed. And you don't need to explain what's clear already, but WMR isn't dead at all, the Reverb G2 is the best headset on the  market at this moment for sim racing, so support for DR3 is mandatory and support should be patched to DR2. The game is still on sale and it's still the most important rally title at this moment. It's never explained by the developers WHY this support isn't added, it's only stated that it's not supported without any given reason. This while support for "a new logitech wheel" is just added recently, then why no WMR support? No reasons are given at all. That you agree with this point of view is okay, but don't tell others that they are not able to express their point of view when you don't agree with that, you're not in the position to decide that for others.

And you're also talking nonsense, because I don't HAVE problems with running the game anymore, it runs OK at this moment FOR ME. Because of what I wrote on this forum (XMP/old Nvidia driver/PCI-e 16) but for some other users the problem ISN'T fixed at all. So I express my view on this issue even more for other people then for myself, I simply want that they put it on the map to fix it and I also want to state how important full VR support for all headsets/platforms is for DR3. It's simply mandatory for Dirt Rally's future, that is my opinion and you're not telling me that I'm not able to express that opinion.

Edited by GuusHugo
9 minutes ago, GuusHugo said:

As I told you already before: I don't agree with your standpoint at all. Other sim racing games ALL decided to support simply each headset/platform. Only CodeMasters decided to not support WMR headsets/platform. And that the hope for all WMR users is that DR3 supports ALL headsets/platforms. You don't need to explain what's clear already. WMR isn't dead at all, the Reverb G2 is the best headset on the market at this moment for sim racing, so support for DR3 is mandatory.

Believe what you want to believe, but your dead wrong.

All a game dev does is link to a specific vr platform, using coding to link to those platforms. The platform is what adds the individual headset support.

The 2 main and supported vr platforms are Oculus and Steamvr. Steam is literally the only reason you can use your windows mixed reality headset in any of the vr titles you play via steam. This is because steam runs an open vr system. this is why oculus headsets can also be used in vr titles that dont support Oculus, because steam allows oculus to work via steamvr in exactly the same way they allow windows mixed reality headsets to work via steamvr.

If you dont believe me on that, go and research it and then get back to me.

Barely any game dev outside of the windows store directly supports windows mixed reality, as it isnt a popular vr platform outside of the hp reverb devices.

• Confused 1
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

Believe what you want to believe, but your dead wrong.

All a game dev does is link to a specific vr platform, using coding to link to those platforms. The platform is what adds the individual headset support. 

The 2 main and supported vr platforms are Oculus and Steamvr. Steam is literally the only reason you can use your windows mixed reality headset in any of the vr titles you play via steam. This is because steam runs an open vr system. this is why oculus headsets can also be used in vr titles that dont support Oculus, because steam allows oculus to work via steamvr in exactly the same way they allow windows mixed reality headsets to work via steamvr.

If you dont believe me on that, go and research it and then get back to me.

Barely any game dev outside of the windows store directly supports windows mixed reality, as it isnt a popular vr platform outside of the hp reverb devices.

I understood/KNOW that already, what do I have to believe and where am I wrong?

EDIT: It's clear that you don't understand the essence of this subject and for that reason you react in the way as you do. I try to explain it to you as best as I can:

The following is stated by CM: "As for DiRT Rally 2.0, Windows Mixed Reality isn't supported as mentioned before, so I'm afraid there's no fix planned on our end."

Which means that they REFUSE to look at WMR related issues. This has nothing to do with what you just stated here. I ask for a change to this policy, that they DO look at WMR related issues. Of course WMR runs through SteamVR, everyone knows that! And zero sim racing games (to my knowledge) have native WMR support but they all WORK without issues through SteamVR+WMR because the developers looked upfront into issues to make sure that WMR devices also work with their game through SteamVR/WMR. I ask CM to do the same for DR3 so that their title supports ALL headsets/platforms and I hope that they also still do that for DR2 (but this last thing is probably "asking for the impossible"). Do you understand this?

Edited by GuusHugo
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

[...]

This is a very important thing to note, the hardware_config_vr file in tthe documents folder on your pc has a lot of additional options you can change in order to reduce some of the pop in.

What you are seeing is just LOD shifting. So the closer you get to a particular graphical item, the better it will look. The further away you get, the worse it will look. This happens in all games, but it is very noticable in VR. Dirt Rally 2 as the lod settings fairly strict, so the graphics dont improve till you get really close to the particular items in your view. It was believed this was done by codemasters to make the overall performance better in VR, but some of the lod settings can be changed in the above mentioned xml file.

Important general tip for anyone playing this game in vr. Set screen space reflections, night light, crowds and vehicle details all to "low". Regardless of what other settings you use, these ones listed cause weird fps issues.

Vehicle details set above "low" for instance, causes weird stuttering when the vehicle headlights are turned on.

Crowds set above "low" causes stuttering whenever crowds are in view or clase by.

Screen space reflections severally lowers the general performance headroom.

Night let set above "low" causes weird stuttering around stage side lighting.

That's exactly the point and if the people using e.g. WMR then they should understand the pipeline for WMR. Also the discussion about resolution % is not very clear because it not clear enough. E.g. I'm rendering in SteamVR with 2280 x 2532 eq. to 128% on a 2080TI and I'm very happy with this. Changed the LoD based on high setting for track from 1.4 to 1.6, objects from 1.01 to 1.04 and trees from 1.0 to 1.3.

People with different systems like WMR should think about what's going on from the game to SteamVR to WMR and so on. The best would be if all HMD developers use a plain OpenVR implementation without additional pipelining BUT each vendor is atm prioritizing his own interface to integrate the own shop.

To reduce graphics flickering it's also very important to set ground cover to off (or alternatively to high) because in low and medium the rendering of grass changes from frame to frame. If you are looking from frame to frame you see that some grass groups are rendered next frame other grass groups are rendered and so on.
BTW: I'm using night lighting and vehicle details on high because it looks good 🙂

Edited by Peter Mathen
11 hours ago, GuusHugo said:

The following is stated by CM: "As for DiRT Rally 2.0, Windows Mixed Reality isn't supported as mentioned before, so I'm afraid there's no fix planned on our end."

Which means that they REFUSE to look at WMR related issues. This has nothing to do with what you just stated here. I ask for a change to this policy, that they DO look at WMR related issues. Of course WMR runs through SteamVR, everyone knows that! And zero sim racing games (to my knowledge) have native WMR support but they all WORK without issues through SteamVR+WMR because the developers looked upfront into issues to make sure that WMR devices also work with their game through SteamVR/WMR. I ask CM to do the same for DR3 so that their title supports ALL headsets/platforms and I hope that they also still do that for DR2 (but this last thing is probably "asking for the impossible"). Do you understand this?

That's nothing new. There are more VR bugs like the brightness bug or it's not possible to save car settings. But afaik CM did not develop the VR port by themselves and therefore there were almost no changes to the VR port and there will be no more changes. WMR is not a supported platform and at the time the port was done there was no WMR. Also other developers have a lot of problems with the WMR platform.

Nevertheless the VR port is very good and very good useable. I'm really hoping that VR will be also supported by the next Rally games. They have the Madness engine with good VR support (look at AMS 2 or PC 2) and could do it this time by themselves.

There are no other Rally games with VR support look at WRC 9 they don't even have their own forum.

• Agree 1