Sign in to follow this  

Running a League has been hell

Hello all, this is a bit of a farewell because I don't intend to continue running a league in this game. This is a great game except for the hosting/admin side of running an event and for this reason I am done with hosting community F12020 events on our discord.
I'm just going to list the features missing that made me lose my mind:

-No dedicated server hosting
Ping can get really bad at times and it requires the host to be there at all times. Could not edit cfgs to fix issues or to spice up the format (eg tyre wear/fuel rates/enable refuelling). Also a prerequisite to allow external custom liveries.

-Penalty system tools
As admin I cannot apply/disable/forgive any penalty application for sessions and in our league it has gotten people dumb DQed and grid penalties for being crashed into during practice and races.
Mid race it has also DQed some of our drivers for AI doing silly things or for ping issues causing collisions as a car sometimes weaves wildly around the track. This makes the whole playerbase either feel cheated and frustrated as we have to rehost as an unranked race and then I have to admin the results into the abandoned league race.

-Overly rigid League
Settings set in stone for some reason. Conclusion from me and other championship running communities is leagues are bad and to use un-ranked and keep a google sheet external to the game instead. This workaround makes this as much effort as other, better racing sims.

-No multiplayer custom livery
I know it is a monetization method but most good racing sims have this as standard with mod allowances on dedicated servers. We would like to create fictional teams and logos either in photoshop or using a Forza style editor.

So that's most of it. Outside of any form of multiplayer/co-op championship attempts, this is a great game.
We are already moving to Assetto Corsa Competizione as it has all of the missing features listed above and much more including handicap balancing, custom events, a variety of external tools and more.
If we get the desire for open wheel again it will likely be on Rfactor2 as it also has these features too.

• Agree 3

remembered 1 more thing.
-REPLAYS!
The highlights are hillariously bad. Accidents and overtakes are cut off early or have no lead up so the context is completely missing.
As admin I really struggle to steward anything unless there are enough streamers or private pov recorders in the vacinity with clips and even then that is just a static pov and not a tv cam.
Other than the streamers all I can do is hope that there is a private nvidia capture or OBS recording of the event and pray that the driver(s) don't lose/corrupt the evidence.
Once again ACC has a full race replay (with perspective switching and view other cars) AND a highlight reel.

• Agree 2

Agree with most

Just explained the issues we run into in another topic here: https://forums.codemasters.com/topic/74779-league-mode/ 
But that's just what even makes it like... almost unusable to even create races for us. Even as 1 off events. (and keep score ourselves with excel like OP says)

League mode is unusable to use as a league because of the inflexibility with rules and reserves. 

Adds nothing in terms of gameplay (No engine/gearbox wear) 

And would be helped so much by dedicated servers indeed...............

• Agree 1

The most useful thing for league racing would be an option for the host to force start the lobby and nobody can go until the host says so.

Also a save/export race data/results button. Simple text file would be amazing.

I also run a league and would be more than happy to pay for a dedicated server like Assetto if it meant full control and good pings.

• Agree 1

I agree on all this. Setting up your own server on Assetto Corsa Competizione is so good, I'd love to have this for F1 too!
Hey @BarryBL, would it be possible to forward this to the Team? I think it's very valuable feedback, thanks.

• Agree 1