Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×
F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

ps4 game crash after 1 shot qualifying

I have been having an issue that causes the ps4 version to crash after completing a  shot qualifying session and choosing the "restart" option. I can replicate the bug over and over now and its only happening if the ps4 is online. My theory is it has something to do with the xp points for the podium pass thing?. As I do not have the issue if not connected to the internet. If needed I can upload a short video showcasing the issue. Also important to mention its a very consistent issue, Id say i can replicate the problem 9/10 attempts. thank you in advance. 

Platform : Ps4 Pro

Version 1.15 fully updated both the game and the ps4 software.

mode: grand prix mode, only when connected online

peripherals: thrustmaster t300 wheel

1 shot qualifying and once the session finishes I choose restart and immediately crashes to ps4 error CE-34878-0

1 hour ago, Joseph783339 said:

I have been having an issue that causes the ps4 version to crash after completing a  shot qualifying session and choosing the "restart" option. I can replicate the bug over and over now and its only happening if the ps4 is online. My theory is it has something to do with the xp points for the podium pass thing?. As I do not have the issue if not connected to the internet. If needed I can upload a short video showcasing the issue. Also important to mention its a very consistent issue, Id say i can replicate the problem 9/10 attempts. thank you in advance. 

Platform : Ps4 Pro

Version 1.15 fully updated both the game and the ps4 software.

mode: grand prix mode, only when connected online

peripherals: thrustmaster t300 wheel

1 shot qualifying and once the session finishes I choose restart and immediately crashes to ps4 error CE-34878-0

@Joseph783339 if you would edit your post into the correct format please, that would be helpful.

4 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

@Joseph783339 if you would edit your post into the correct format please, that would be helpful.

sure id be happy to, I looked over the format and I did not see where I had left anything out. What is it I should change and or fix in my report and Ill fix it straight away. Thanks

So in an attempt to fix the issue I did the following:

restarted the console, checked the ps4 for updates, checked the game itself for updates, checked for any internet issues, tried to replicate the bug on another system and was able to, downloaded a digital version of the game to rule out the disc being the issue, replaced the harddrive in the ps4. reformatted the original harddrive, I tried using different hdmi cables, tried using different tvs, tried using a controller, tried using my normal steering wheel, tried using a 1080p resolution and at 4k resolution. The only aspect of my testing that stopped the issue was turning of the network from the PlayStation menu. with no network enabled the bug did not show up. I will also add a video. I hope this list was placed here ok i know its a little long but I didnt want to keep pressing enter and have it drag all the way down the page. thank you again in advance

Thanks @Joseph783339

How quickly are you advancing through the XP award process? Can you try again, but redeem the session progress a little slower?

ok so unfortunately my video seems to be a bit to big to add here but im trying to edit it down some. So as you suggested I did press x to skip the xp award process prior to hitting restart, the glitch seems to happen closer to 50% of the time if I allow the whole scene to play out. I had a few friends of mine try to replicate the issue and one friend was able to, while another was not. I had both of them choose to skip that xp award scene just as I had. I had them also do it via playstations shareplay so i could walk them through replicating the problem and be sure we were doing the exact things, at the exact time. 

• Like 1

just out of curiosity as I have played the game since release, any idea why this may be happening now as I am certain I had always been pressing x to skip that xp award scene. Was their some recent change to that xp system? I myself never payed any attention to it, at least up until this issue I should say. Again thank you for your help and responses I really do appreciate it 

So i am sorry if the video is short, I had to try and condense it a bit to fit under the 48mb limit. If this video is less than helpful I can try and make another and upload it to youtube with a link.

3 minutes ago, Joseph783339 said:

just out of curiosity as I have played the game since release, any idea why this may be happening now as I am certain I had always been pressing x to skip that xp award scene. Was their some recent change to that xp system? I myself never payed any attention to it, at least up until this issue I should say. Again thank you for your help and responses I really do appreciate it 

No changes were made in this area. You may want to clear your cache too. How to do so is below: https://thedroidguy.com/clear-ps4-cache-1145949

ok I will do this, I should mention that i did initialize the ps4 last night and basically started all over. So perhaps this would have also cleared the cache? I also forget to mention I did try to make a new user and account to make sure it wasnt that as well. I deleted my save file and started fresh to rule out a corrupted save 

ok so after reading the article over I realized that I indeed already cleared the cache as I had removed the ps4 system, had everything unplugged from the console and it sat on my kitchen table for an hour while I checked to see if any of the cables could be the culprit 

Can't replicate on PC, is there anything more you can tell me about the session? (I tried session time at midnight also, it didn't affect anything.)

obviously it has something to do with the internet connecting to accomplish something with the xp points, the issue does not occur if my system is not online. I did a connection test below, my system is wired with a ethernet cable directly to the router. Ive never had any sort of connectivity issues and Ive had the same router and provider since 2016. I don't know if that's useful information but I figured it couldn't hurt. 🙂

PXL_20210210_000212004.jpg

• Thanks 1

A few other items about the issue. It only occurs when you qualify first. You also need to skip the xp counting screen before it finishes I believe. With that said , I have also gotten the issue when I let the whole scene playout but skipping it before it's done does increase the frequency.

11 hours ago, Joseph783339 said:

A few other items about the issue. It only occurs when you qualify first. You also need to skip the xp counting screen before it finishes I believe. With that said , I have also gotten the issue when I let the whole scene playout but skipping it before it's done does increase the frequency.

I'm of the opinion this is a PS4/PSN/connectivity issue as I can't replicate. I tried the different AI level, other track, Flashback setting, tried flashbacks, damage level, race distance, left weather at default etc. I've moved the thread to Systems and Connectivity.

I completed the race also and then tried again to restart qualification and got no issues. I could not beat the 110AI but I could beat it on a lower setting.

So I went through the process of purchasing a new hard drive and reinstalling the game completely again. Here's what i found: The glitch did not occur for 5 consecutive attempts and my immediate thought was that somehow my old hard drive, my friends hard drive and the hard drive of my living room ps4 all my be on their last legs. Then later on the glitch returned, same scenario as before, and by the way you guys are actually replicating the series of events perfectly and exactly as I am so im beyond confused. So back to my point once some of my other games finished installing all of the sudden the glitch resumed but this time with a hint of whats going wrong. 

With the brand new hard drive and simultaneously installing other games it seems to work as it did before except one small thing i had never noticed. The time between when the xp screen disappears after being skipped was about 1.5-2 seconds of just the background image before the results and option menu appears. Now with that situation I did not see the glitch happen (I only did the test about 6 or 7 times as at this point testing this has become a bit less fun 🙂 Now once the other games (not f1 as thats was obviously fully installed and up to date on patches) installed and my system was no longer downloading anything the glitch returned, and that gap of 1.5-2 seconds of nothing before the results and options appear was all but gone. its as if it had previously been loading or saving something and now its not i don't know enough about how this all works so perhaps it would be pointless to speculate. what do you guys think?

Oh and another thing, I do want to say thank you, again, to you guys for taking the time to solve what appears to be a problem only I am somehow having. I do appreciate it. I honestly cannot imagine how difficult it must to find and fix these sorts of issues and its unfortunate that some people are so quick to complain without really getting a grasp at what's involved.

Edited by Joseph783339
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Joseph783339 said:

So I went through the process of purchasing a new hard drive and reinstalling the game completely again. Here's what i found: The glitch did not occur for 5 consecutive attempts and my immediate thought was that somehow my old hard drive, my friends hard drive and the hard drive of my living room ps4 all my be on their last legs. Then later on the glitch returned, same scenario as before, and by the way you guys are actually replicating the series of events perfectly and exactly as I am so im beyond confused. So back to my point once some of my other games finished installing all of the sudden the glitch resumed but this time with a hint of whats going wrong. 

With the brand new hard drive and simultaneously installing other games it seems to work as it did before except one small thing i had never noticed. The time between when the xp screen disappears after being skipped was about 1.5-2 seconds of just the background image before the results and option menu appears. Now with that situation I did not see the glitch happen (I only did the test about 6 or 7 times as at this point testing this has become a bit less fun 🙂 Now once the other games (not f1 as thats was obviously fully installed and up to date on patches) installed and my system was no longer downloading anything the glitch returned, and that gap of 1.5-2 seconds of nothing before the results and options appear was all but gone. its as if it had previously been loading or saving something and now its not i don't know enough about how this all works so perhaps it would be pointless to speculate. what do you guys think?

Oh and another thing, I do want to say thank you, again, to you guys for taking the time to solve what appears to be a problem only I am somehow having. I do appreciate it. I honestly cannot imagine how difficult it must to find and fix these sorts of issues and its unfortunate that some people are so quick to complain without really getting a grasp at what's involved.

My only comment would be that as you can see from our attempts at replication, there is no delay on PC for sure.

Can I just ask, did you replace the 1TB SATA 5400rpm hard drive like for like or have you upgraded to another mechanical drive or SSD? 

On 2/12/2021 at 4:34 PM, Joseph783339 said:

The delay may be explained by the fact that this is a mechanical drive. You can see the difference on the PC with NVMe storage. It does not explain the crash fully, but it may explain the delay.