Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rallycross AI opinion?

Recommended Posts

The devs have commented that the AI is slower than they would like at the moment, and a few people have had issues with AI drivers trying to drive through closed-off routes. What do you think of the AI behaviour so far?

I have only done an Open Championship and I liked the way they behaved, not too aggressive and they seem moderately intelligent. Would the "Open" difficulty be equivalent to the "Easy" AI setting in Custom Mode? They were very easy  to beat, let alone get a podium to move up a level. Do they get much harder on Elite/Very Hard? I would hope that eventually the RX championships are as much of a challenge as the rallies and hill climbs. How would you say they compare in terms of difficulty? I hope that Masters RX isn't only as difficult as Rally Open :worried: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The devs have commented that the AI is slower than they would like at the moment, and a few people have had issues with AI drivers trying to drive through closed-off routes. What do you think of the AI behaviour so far?

I have only done an Open Championship and I liked the way they behaved, not too aggressive and they seem moderately intelligent. Would the "Open" difficulty be equivalent to the "Easy" AI setting in Custom Mode? They were very easy  to beat, let alone get a podium to move up a level. Do they get much harder on Elite/Very Hard? I would hope that eventually the RX championships are as much of a challenge as the rallies and hill climbs. How would you say they compare in terms of difficulty? I hope that Masters RX isn't only as difficult as Rally Open :worried: 

I got to Pro RX, to unlock the FIA RX, and drove it. They definately are more challenging in the FIA championship. In Open you can screw up a lot, and still win easily. In one race I jumped the start a bit and had to do an extra Joker, and in the middle of the third lap I lost a tire (it was a 4 lap race), still managed to win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm only into clubman but they're definitely slow. Speed is a known issue though and is being worked on as they review the times players can set.

Took me longer than it should have based on time comparison to get promoted that far since I regularly get shunted into rails/tyres or spun as they drive 'through' me. So I wouldn't label them as intelligent or either. Although I freely admit I'm not very good at this game and frustrated at the moment.

Needs a lot of improvement. I'll be interested to see whaat others think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I do agree that they're slow. But I got an idea for you who want some challenge. Do the masters championship with an unupgraded car. Worked wonders for me in terms of challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Simply slow; even masters/very hard difficulty.

No challenge at all... is very boring.

I remenber dirt2/3 rallycross was a pain in the ass... that was difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stik to your lines you will not have a problem. Respect the ai as if yhey were a human oponent. And after all this is rallycross isnt it? Deal with it :D

Ps: you will be on to some tears when pvp comes. There, you will literally see  humans crash into you every single race...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malyngo said:
Even I thought they were easy on Clubman. If your skillevel is similar to mine (I am also not very good), the higher difficulties should be rather challenging for you.
After opening up the Fia RX difficulty, it really became challenging for me, can't really beat them right now.
But also I had more of those "they just crash into me!" moments, though I think that at least half of those moments are probably to a great extend my fault. They just can't always watch out for you, or they will lose.
Professional is the level I'm at in Rally, so I'll see how that compares when I get to it.

No doubt so of the some of the AI crashing into me is my fault, I'd need to watch more replays to get a better idea. I'm no professional driver so what I think may constitute reckless driving and thus poor AI programming, may be just racing. I also need to see if I can find some replays where other people are more in the mix with the AI rather that speeding ahead to get an idea of how those racing pan out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malyngo said:
Yeah do that, I was watching the RallyX races in Canada today, really interesting to watch.
Blocking the line of  the driver behind is a totally valid tactic, it seems, in F1, isn't it that they are obliged to let the car behind pass?.
If the AI is crashing into you directly from behind, that is definitely their fault (and should be punished by the stewards, but I think there are no penalties for that right now, you yourself can also crash into opponents without penalty).
Got that today in my last final in professional difficulty. That was really annoying :D
You can block in F1 as well. AFAIK it's just IndyCar that have the "if the car behind makes a move, you cannot react to that" rule.

You cannot push the other driver though, you cannot force the other driver away, put you can, and should place you car smart - at the same time. Breaking quite a bit to early, and you will get a car in your back IRL as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malyngo said:
Even I thought they were easy on Clubman. If your skillevel is similar to mine (I am also not very good), the higher difficulties should be rather challenging for you.
After opening up the Fia RX difficulty, it really became challenging for me, can't really beat them right now.
But also I had more of those "they just crash into me!" moments, though I think that at least half of those moments are probably to a great extend my fault. They just can't always watch out for you, or they will lose.
Professional is the level I'm at in Rally, so I'll see how that compares when I get to it.

No doubt so of the some of the AI crashing into me is my fault, I'd need to watch more replays to get a better idea. I'm no professional driver so what I think may constitute reckless driving and thus poor AI programming, may be just racing. I also need to see if I can find some replays where other people are more in the mix with the AI rather that speeding ahead to get an idea of how those racing pan out.
Not sure if this will help you a whole lot, but due to a mistake into T1, I got into some AI-racing this night!
https://youtu.be/C9XVATblxmU

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I like getting in the pack and racing around the AI to be honest. It is a lot more exciting than trying to get the jump out of the gate and never looking back like one would do in a 'real' race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Used to to that myself, until some of my gaming-buddies decided to make a competition out of the fastest heat times... ^^,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for the video Myrvold. You're faster than I am so I'm not sure it helps.

I played a bit more on Monday and watching the replay of the one time the AI caused me to spin during that time it was because it was poking up the inside on a corner. I was likely a bit slow and wide but the AI didn't back off until after there was contact. After it backed off it accelerated quite quickly again. What caused the spin in the end was two hits in quick succession to my right rear wheel as I turned the corner.

There's a bit more to it than that and it would be much easier to show a video but it seems excessive to start a YouTube or Vimeo channel for the sake of this.

I'll have more time over the weekend to play so will see how representitive this example is. I may be able to mitigate some of it with experience and better lines into corners. I don't play any other racing game so I have no idea what to expect from AI in terms of quality and their ability to detect and avoid collision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Aside from a few instances of being rammed from the behind way too hard they drive pretty well. They aren't fast enough though, I won the World Event with a half upgraded car, it was a challenge, but it should be a challenge with a FULLY upgraded car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seriously, you find challenging RX at any level?

I still find it easy and ...almost boring :( and worse, the more I play/practice, the more I find it aesy.

In a bad race I can take 10/15secs to the second place...

I remember RX much more difficult in Dirt games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OzoreXS said:
Seriously, you find challenging RX at any level?

I still find it easy and ...almost boring :( and worse, the more I play/practice, the more I find it aesy.

In a bad race I can take 10/15secs to the second place...

True, it helps to have fast friends on Steam, so we can try to be the fastest of the gang! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My opinion..Its so easy and boring..Totally. There is only one chance to bit of challenge..Non- upgraded car and master championship...but still its so easy. It could be annoying for RX drivers too..If anyone can beat them so easily.I dont want beat them so easily..I want to fight with them about every each milisec after long and hard practicing and training!!! They do it whole their life and in this game can 10y.o. sit behind a wheel and embarrass them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Really too easy imo.
Most of the time start first and never see the competition again.
- ai is too slow; with stock settings, you go faster than them in straights. Feels like they are blocked to 80% of their capacity. This brings another wish which is even in lower difficulties, the top speed of opponents should not be lowered, only their aggressivity or ability to corner with speed.
- ai does not vary its line, seems to stuck to the same spline lap after lap; if I am too slow in  a corner but on the ideal line, I might get a little push but I've never seen ai trying to force its way on the inside or extending its trajectory on the outside - could also be because they are just too slow.
In the end, RX as is today is a good way to earn fast and easy credits, but is becoming quite boring. It was way more challenging in the previous Dirt episodes. I remember the CORR races from CMR Dirt on Xbox 360, finishing first without any drivig assist and with the oponents' level set to the max was quite a challenge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OzoreXS said:
Simply slow; even masters/very hard difficulty.

No challenge at all... is very boring.

I remenber dirt2/3 rallycross was a pain in the ass... that was difficult.
It was more difficult because of two main reasons:
1) Track design. - DiRT 2/3 took their cues from X-Games, with lots of bumps and jumps everywhere, even at corners, which made rolling/crashing likely unless you slowed down or hit the bump in just the right way. That allowed the AI to keep up. There wasn't anything in the way of run-off areas either, which is just something that exists in purpose built tracks compared to temporary X-Games/RoC ones. All of which combines with:
2) AI stuck to its lines and was more than happy to just ram you out of the way. Get nudged by the AI on a bump, and you're going into a barrier.

It was harder, but it was achieved through awkward and even somewhat cheap means. I wouldn't say RX was more fun or enjoyable in D2/3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BrySkye said:
OzoreXS said:
Simply slow; even masters/very hard difficulty.

No challenge at all... is very boring.

I remenber dirt2/3 rallycross was a pain in the ass... that was difficult.
It was more difficult because of two main reasons:
1) Track design. - DiRT 2/3 took their cues from X-Games, with lots of bumps and jumps everywhere, even at corners, which made rolling/crashing likely unless you slowed down or hit the bump in just the right way. That allowed the AI to keep up. There wasn't anything in the way of run-off areas either, which is just something that exists in purpose built tracks compared to temporary X-Games/RoC ones. All of which combines with:
2) AI stuck to its lines and was more than happy to just ram you out of the way. Get nudged by the AI on a bump, and you're going into a barrier.

It was harder, but it was achieved through awkward and even somewhat cheap means. I wouldn't say RX was more fun or enjoyable in D2/3
Who cares now... we´re in PVP soon!!! :blush: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×