Jump to content Jump to content

From Pad to Wheel with No Assists - Gradual or All out?

Cheers again as always for the replies. I've turned off the racing line, turned off flashbacks, upped the race distance to 50% and started a new season. Now have no choice but to make sure I do practice sessions and longer qualifying too, otherwise it'll be a disaster! 

Obviously with these changes the AI has had to go right down, but needs must, I couldn't continue playing the game with the Racing Line on, it just didn't work for me. As PJ mentioned in his videos, I was in complete auto-pilot just following the line. 

I started with Australia, took quite a few hours to try and learn the braking points but was making some progress. Onto Race 2 today .. will let you all know how it goes. 

• Like 1

Good luck fella 👌

Was that your first f1 game? Just question it because racing line help was mentioned. Are people out there really using this assist? I mean for starters ok,well and helpful tool but whoever played a f1 game before,should never use this assist.

Anyway good luck mate 👌 stay patient out there on the track 😎

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, svensenk86 said:

Good luck fella 👌

Was that your first f1 game? Just question it because racing line help was mentioned. Are people out there really using this assist? I mean for starters ok,well and helpful tool but whoever played a f1 game before,should never use this assist.

Anyway good luck mate 👌 stay patient out there on the track 😎

Thanks! - I had F1 2016 and played it occasionally on pad with all of the assists on, so i've made quite a big jump here getting a wheel and turning them all off. 

My interest in racing actually came from going Karting for the first time a year ago - absolutely loved it and appeared to have a knack for it. I began watching F1 and purchased the new game. With outdoor sports still banned in Northern Ireland I invested in a wheel to keep myself entertained, and here we are! 

Done Bahrain this afternoon - Practice 1 Track Acclimatisation & Race Strategy , Practice 2 Track Acclimatisation & Qualifying Pace. I feel that this mixture worked really well, gets in enough practice laps to understand your breaking zones etc. Finished the 50% race and won quite comfortably, probably need to up the AI again which is fine. 

One thing I noticed which improved my times, was bringing the pedals closer towards me. I think I wasn't breaking hard enough going into corners and my foot would slip off the break and this would make down-shifting difficult (I'd try and get down to first gear sometimes but i'd end up only getting down to second). This in turn meant that I wasn't able to work out which gear I was in, and therefore my concentration had been diverted to looking at which gear I was in. Now i'm breaking a bit harder, I can count the gears in my head more accurately as i'm downshifting into the correct gears for each corner.

I've started at Hanoi now, which was a track I absolutely hated and so far i've completed my first Practice and i'm happy enough with the progress i'm making. It's far more rewarding learning a track and understanding it properly. I think the reason I probably hated Hanoi was because whichever racing line was provided in game was no help at all. 

Something appears to have clicked anyway. Patience, practice. 

Edited by CFCJDSW6
  • Agree 1

Hanoi done - it was a medium Wet Race , previously I had just skipped them as I just couldn't control the car. This time round I stuck with it and completed the 29 laps. Once again won and it was by a distance again, so will up the AI once more. 

Next is China - I started the first Practice but didn't have the patience so will leave that for tomorrow. Hopefully I can pick it up as I have with the previous 3 tracks, fingers crossed. Frustratingly, it's another race that will be starting in wet conditions, but if I can get used to the track then hopefully i'll be okay.

1 hour ago, CFCJDSW6 said:

Hanoi done - it was a medium Wet Race , previously I had just skipped them as I just couldn't control the car. This time round I stuck with it and completed the 29 laps. Once again won and it was by a distance again, so will up the AI once more. 

Next is China - I started the first Practice but didn't have the patience so will leave that for tomorrow. Hopefully I can pick it up as I have with the previous 3 tracks, fingers crossed. Frustratingly, it's another race that will be starting in wet conditions, but if I can get used to the track then hopefully i'll be okay.

Maybe check this out 😊 my yearly adjustments which maybe help you finding your AI level

• 5 months later...

I'm Back - 6 months on and with a new game!

All your feedback was great - Pretty much all assists are off but I just didn't have the patience for taking off the line for corners, which in hindsight I really should have done. 

Unfortunately, i'm back because i'm now at the brink of giving up. Since moving onto a wheel i've really not improved, at all.

- I'm stuck at playing on 75% AI at my best tracks and even lower at some of the others. I used to play on higher difficulty with a controller. 
- I literally cannot turn flashbacks off, and cannot stop crashing into the back of the AI, despite all my efforts. One example - today i've literally re-started my race from 4th on the Grid in Baku a good 40 times, I cannot get through the first corner without crashing into the AI. This had lead to me, for the second day in a row, packing up the rig and turning the game off. 

When I watch others enjoy the game, i'm extremely jealous, as it has so much potential, but more me I feel i'm at the end of my tether. I could put all the assists back on, but after putting in days and days of playing this, that'll take the fun out of it.

Maybe i'll just stick to going Karting and realise that this game is just not going to click for me. 

Edited by CFCJDSW6
  • 1 month later...