F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×

What is the Best f1 game ever

I played both of these out far more than I've played the later versions, F1 2006 in particular really held up a good few years after release.Features Istanbul and Indianapolis, has full commentary with Martin Brundle, during the races, which while it repeats fairly quickly is fun to listen to and something I miss very much from the games. 

If you're racing tenth and Martin is talking about the battle for the lead it just adds to the game, current games I don't really know what's happening around the track. 

Grand Prix Challenge is a brutally difficult game but had the most track detail and best handling for the time. It had full race replays too, you can stick with any car, and has on screen HUD during the replays. I used to watch the races back just to admire the scenery sometimes. 

51Z359SN11L._AC_.jpg.71ed1a9a24ce6fb1701e7018c2118daf.jpg

51pX0a39gvL._AC_SY445_.jpg.d9e05424a4d09891a1d445b624a2b2e6.jpg

Edited by KNT2011
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Older games i loved the Mónaco Grand Prix Racing Simulation 2, Grand Prix 4, F1 Challenge 99/02.. newest ones i love the realistic Gameplay of Assetto Corsa with F1 Mods.. Classic and Modern eras..

All of these were Simulation Style and all of these had the official Hud and TV Overlays

Grand Prix 2, 1995, MicroProse, Geoff Crammond

Hands down the best F1 game then and for ages to come, kind of the first "modern" F1 game that existed with, say, "real" 3D graphics. It had telemetry, for instance, and a LAN multiplayer mode - we are talking 25 years back, and the operating system it ran on was MS-DOS. Christ, I was in my 20ies then, hilarious! See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Prix_2 if interested, I still have that paper box somewhere in the cellar...

• Agree 1

F1 2004 was good, think it was EA Buttons unbelievable season. Should of won Monaco 😩

Edited by peanutt2000

Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 2. 
Still have the manual somewhere - the font of all knowledge when explaining what every part of a car set up did and the effect it had. 
And the telemetry. Being able to see the ride height was incredible. And I used to play with a keyboard. 
Wonder if I still have the cd somewhere. 
And a cd Rom to install it...

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, JonathanGreen88 said:

Only other game I have left is this one

IMG_20210211_150005.jpg

That was the first racing game I've owned 🙂 

Personal opinion: F1 2020 is the strongest of the Codies F1 titles. F1 2019 was already "the best" but '20 improved on it in several areas 🙂 

• Agree 1

Grand Prix 1 was actually the first game to lift the genre to a whole different level, surely Grand Prix 2 was better in all facets and had the online option, but given the extreme renewal Grand Prix 1 was to previous F1 games i think the first one in this series is relatively the best F1 game made.
The first F1 game (Formula 1) on PlayStation 1 was probably the first ever real F1 feeling you got from an F1 game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

F1 97/Championship Edition

F1 Championship Edition (2006, PS3)

F1 2013, 2017, 2020

Those are the strongest years IMO.

• Like 1

It has to be F1 Challenge 99-02.

4 seasons, and fully moddable (on internet you can find mods from 1950 to 2020).

51B0OwSucXL._AC_SY445_.jpg

14.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GPII on the Mega Drive. Memories of squealing around the 90 degrees bends of Detroit in a Tyrant. 😍

• Agree 1

Grand Prix 1 and F1 challenge 99-02 is what I've played the most. Shout out to Grand Prix 4 and F1 2006 as well.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 7:55 AM, dshepsman said:

Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 2. 
Still have the manual somewhere - the font of all knowledge when explaining what every part of a car set up did and the effect it had. 
And the telemetry. Being able to see the ride height was incredible. And I used to play with a keyboard. 
Wonder if I still have the cd somewhere. 
And a cd Rom to install it...

It was a great game, AI spins and your car could break down as well! I always remember being half a lap away from victory at Monaco in a wet race, nearly two hours racing and my electrics failed! You could also watch the rest of the race if you wanted . 

The Crammond family haven't left the game world, his son works for Sports Interactive as a coder on Football Manager

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, NeilUK02 said:

It was a great game, AI spins and your car could break down as well! I always remember being half a lap away from victory at Monaco in a wet race, nearly two hours racing and my electrics failed! You c

I'd certainly highlight F1 2006 in this. Leading the race in Istanbul to my gearbox having issues limiting me to 2 gears with a quarter of the race to go was a thrill not seen in the modern versions. Excellent version and boy is Sony Interactive missed. 

GP4 and F1 Challenge 99-02 were both the complete package. The realistic selection of items for setup and the telemetry analysis in game made both these games a great way to understand F1 and what the three practice sessions were for - and how to get the best lap times. Codemasters has yet to match the completeness of either of these games. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

F1 2020 is definitely the best in terms of pure quality.

'06 was great and 2012/2013 will always have a place in my heart (my first wheel played games)

• Like 1

Grand prix 2 by Geoff Crammond hands down number 1 for me. I have seen a few comments here that think the same. I still have the original box/cover, manual and cd-rom. It does play on Windows 10 but it feels very outdated after 25 years. But that's how it started it for me......"and I did play it with a wheel back then already"

GP2 is still the yard stick I measure all other racing games by. On my desktop we could race reasonably well using just the keys and a bunch of assists, and then if you added a wheel it became even better. And the mod community gave a way of doing a career mode, changing team names and colours, editing drivers, it was an awesome game.

Interesting this question should pop up, I've just been reminded of Grand Prix 3 and 4 from watching an Aiden Millward video on Youtube. I own Microprose Grand Prix 1, 2, 3 and 4 - spent the most time racing on 1, it was what got me into F1 in the first place when I was 12, while I spent the most time modding 3 - there were some really crazy circuits for that. Also, the damage model for GP2 was funny, if you downloaded a circuit which had the slightest bump in the road, you'd lose all 4 wheels. :classic_biggrin:

For some reason I got 4 but never played it, I think I was disappointed which how difficult it was to mod at the time of release compared to GP3, which had a big modding community. I was more addicted to modding than actually racing!

Dug 4 out again this evening and while the graphics are of course ropey (20 year old game!), the AI behaviour is great. It hurts to watch actually, the realisation that the AI in GP4 is SO much better than any Codemasters game. You know, just jostling each other, battling for position, loose and unpredictable. Accidents. AI having their own brains and not being controlled by the confinements of the track code. Also, failures. For both player and AI.

I also have F1 '97 for PS1, but sadly I couldn't play it for long as it gave me terrible motion sickness. Which sucks because it looked brilliant.

As for the best in my opinion? As far as my personal experience goes, between Grand Prix 3 and F1 2012 (purely because I remember a car late braking into La Source at Spa and losing positions, which was cool, and because it had sector-by-sector weather).

Edit: Just watching a Grand Prix 2 video on Youtube and it's all coming back to me now. Torn between GP2, 3 and F1 2012.

Edited by s00zster
  • Like 1

For me it started all with GP2,the best and most time intensive was GP3...also with the wheel already,those games are gaming history. Then also I have tried other F1 games,but the next time killer was F1 Challenge 99-02

Good times 😎

• Thanks 1