Jump to content Jump to content
F1 2021 | Online Services Update 11:00AM UK Time | Expected to last no longer than 2 hours ×

DiRT Rally 2.0 - In-Game Server Connectivity

Go to solution Solved by PJTierney,
Message added by PJTierney

DO THIS BEFORE POSTING

Check your own devices and/or internet connection first, restart your router etc.

Check if SteamPlayStation Network or Xbox Live are down.

HOW TO REPORT AN ISSUE

Copy this and use it as a template (delete/replace whatever you don't need):

• Platform: Steam / PlayStation / Xbox
  • Place where error was encountered: Events / Clubs / Time Trial
  • Kind of error: "Server refused connection attempt" / "Error code ending in 55-58" 

No additional details, comments or screenshots are required unless we ask for them.

You can also try emailing the above to custservice@codemasters.com

This thread is not for one-to-one support, but rather to make Support aware of any potential server issues.

A report doesn't mean an immediate investigation will take place, however if there are multiple reports in a short time period then it's a sign that something is happening and info will be passed on to Support who will handle things accordingly.

If you're on Windows 7 and experiencing an error ending in 58-58, update your security settings.

It needs to be clear that the outages are only 50% of the problem. If it was just Racenet failing it wouldn't be so bad.

But the other 50% of the problem is the stupid design that someone at CM greenlit: to nuke a player's progress every time there's a connectivity issue.

If you guys are going to implement forced-online again, put at least some effort or budget into making it not a player-hostile pain in the arse.

Even the network delays between menus - some of which don't even contain networked data - are just bad design that any big company should be embarrassed by. It even has to phone back to Racenet each time you only want to view another 15-ish leaderboard results, for Christ's sake. How did someone design, implement, and demonstrate this to the team without feeling a bit awkward? How did downloading the leaderboards in such small pieces reduce the workload at all compared to downloading sensible amounts of it at a time? 

It's almost as if there was some kind of early recognition of a need to shave off every ounce of network traffic to minimise server load at every possible moment ... 

Edited by XenialJ
  • Agree 3

Hello there! We (a total of ~10 players, PC and PS4 alike) are getting connectivity issues during "busy hours" (evening hours UTC time). Numerous connection errors when trying to access our club championships, or when we continue to the next stage. On the weekends evenings - literally impossible to even start a stage. Tried yesterday for about 10 retries, before I finally gave up. I own a Steam version of the game. Game seems to work fine during earlier parts of the day (too bad we have to work...)

• Social Media & Community Team
1 hour ago, gleylancer571 said:

@PJTierney

Can you please ask if I can keep my original mileage?
Due to server failures between the stages, I have much more kilometers than I actually rode.

I'll ask, no guarantee anything will change though, we typically don't do changes like this to a player's profile (assuming they're editable in the first place).

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, PJTierney said:

I'll ask, no guarantee anything will change though, we typically don't do changes like this to a player's profile (assuming they're editable in the first place). 

If the server changes my profile data only because it cannot establish a connection, I expect my original data
and I had this at a weekly event three times already !
And three times no connection could be made after that my cars had 1000 kilometers on the speedometer, as if by magic

Edited by gleylancer571
5 hours ago, PJTierney said:

I'm just spitballin' here, trying to get to the bottom of this. Network stuff is complicated and intertwined.

It is. However, a Playstation Network issue shouldn't have consequences for your own servers and systems. Unless you use it to host all your stuff. Which I find highly unlikely.

It's a very telling "coincidence", that when countries started quarantines, some were in lockdown etc. and playerbases grew, that the RaceNet errors started occur more frequently. And the more countries that put in measures, and the bigger playerbases became, the more issues RaceNet had.
It's not like this started when you guys gave it away for free on PS. It just became even worse when that happened. This all started pre, medio-March. It's been going on to a varying degree for just over six(6) weeks.
The fact that you(Codemasters, not you PJTierney!) still haven't been able to fix this, or seemingly doing much more than "monitoring".
For a customer, this looks like the game is finished, not much more money to get out of the game, and thus putting just a minimum of effort in to it as well. Sorry to say but this is an awful way to handle business, and it will cause a decline in goodwill from customers, and it will likely cause people to be fed up from issues in future games much quicker as well.

I am amazed that a company of Codemasters size, and years in the business are having problems like this, over such time with so little actual communication to customers. It doesn't even feel like anything are being done.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

@Myrvold

My thoughts exactly. Maybe they don't think it would be worth to fix the game at this point. However, I'd be more than happy to buy all the DLCs, because I love what I have experienced with the base game content. If only the game was playable in the evening EU hours I would do it right away. 

• Agree 1
22 hours ago, Myrvold said:

Sorry to say but this is an awful way to handle business, and it will cause a decline in goodwill from customers, and it will likely cause people to be fed up from issues in future games much quicker as well.

I am amazed that a company of Codemasters size, and years in the business are having problems like this, over such time with so little actual communication to customers. It doesn't even feel like anything are being done.

This I agree with 100% Iv'e been gaming since the early 90s when Codemasters made some of the best games that worked right straight out of the box, The past few years Iv'e really gone off Codemasters as a company and all these constant server issues solidify my feeling about them which is a real shame, I honestly don't have anything nice to say about them at the minute because its just disappointment after disappointment at this point.

• Social Media & Community Team
23 minutes ago, Stig Lennart said:

@PJTierney can we get an update on what's happening behind the scenes please? 

I asked yesterday as although concurrent user charts don't show any prolonged spikes, people are still reporting things (albeit nothing compared to the 1,000+ comments per day [no exaggeration] I was getting between April 8 and 10), essentially proposing the question on whether a drop in users on the chart is the only way to see data, or if there's data on people failing to connect to specific areas of the game, extra wait times etc..

If and when I get an update that I can share, I do so. Server issues are the thing I like least about the game (just like all of you), but in reality I'm just the messenger; I take all of the disappointment (and sometimes hate) that comes in, relay what I can and then provide an update when possible. I can't do much else.

• Thanks 4
8 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I asked yesterday as although concurrent user charts don't show any spikes, people are still reporting things (albeit nothing compared to the 1,000+ comments per day [no exaggeration] I was getting between April 8 and 10), essentially proposing the question on whether a drop in users on the chart is the only way to see data, or if there's data on people failing to connect to specific areas of the game, extra wait times etc..

If and when I get an update that I can share, I do so. Server issues are the thing I like least about the game (just like all of you), but in reality I'm just the messenger; I take all of the disappointment (and sometimes hate) that comes in, relay what I can and then provide an update when possible. I can't do much else. 

We know, and thank you for your efforts, it can be seen that you do your best and that you care about the game as much as we do. The developers and the publisher must understand how important the issue is, it's putting people off the otherwise brilliant game, if it's not addressed promptly and appropriately it will have a very big impact on CM's reputation and the Dirt franchise.

I could understand that there were problems when the game launched on PS Plus. But then it became impossible to play on the weekends. Now it's Tuesday evening and the problem persists.

Edited by danielofifi
  • Agree 3
8 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

I asked yesterday as although concurrent user charts don't show any prolonged spikes, people are still reporting things (albeit nothing compared to the 1,000+ comments per day [no exaggeration] I was getting between April 8 and 10), essentially proposing the question on whether a drop in users on the chart is the only way to see data, or if there's data on people failing to connect to specific areas of the game, extra wait times etc..

I know you're just the messenger and you're a player and I also appreciate someone coming forward

Maybe the guys who are actually responsible for something, who can't pass the buck or claim ignorance, should come to the forum (or Twitter or something where they actually communicate with players) sometime for some Q&A, instead of hiding behind a community dude.

The complete absence of any accountability or responsibility is just mind-boggling.

• Agree 3
  • PJTierney changed the title to DiRT Rally 2.0 - In-Game Server Connectivity
  • PJTierney pinned this topic