Jump to content
F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Driver Career - Williams - A Few Questions/Issues

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I have stopped my latest driver career after race 4 in season 2 because as my car developed with R & D it turns out I had the setting for AI too low. I was winning races and possibly heading to the winning the Championship in a Williams. I am going to start again and I've done a few tests to try and set my AI level correctly, I had it on 62 and I am trying 70.

I am absolutely loving the game, it's great to be playing an F1 game again!

However a few things I noticed in my 1 and a few race career

1. While my car and my times improved through the season my team-mate Russell never improved. Even in my last race where in China where I was pole and won his performance was unchanged from Season 1 race 1 in Australia. He qualified 18th and finished last. As we are both in the same car I would expect him to improve as well.

2. However I understand that AI teams are also improving so how have others found it, is it possible to use R&D to push the Williams up the field or do other teams always improve at the same rate?

3. Do most of you alter the AI level for each track through a driver or team career? I would prefer not but is it best to do that to get balanced performances, I'd really like to be able to have a realistic career where I can improve and get my Williams up the field but not unrealistically.

4. Lastly and most importantly, is it possible to stop the race engineer's constant "tutorials" down the radio? Once is all we need, first race on first run he can tell us how to enter the pit lane, or how to measure tyre temps, or who to navigate MFD. We don't need it every race, every practice, every season!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IT's been a while since I played around with driver career so 1&2 is difficult to help, we'll see if others have thoughts on it. 

3. I find this essential to get the best experience with the game, unfortunately Codies refuse to balance the AI so this must be done by the player. I would recommend running sessions at each track and noting the AI qualy times at various difficulty levels, adjusting as you go to balance with your own performance. While the argument is the player is better / worse at certain tracks, I'm afraid it is an excuse so as not to better balance the AI, Austria is the smoking gun, not been touched in many versions despite being a 20 point swing in difficulty. for max immersion you must do Codies job I'm afraid. 

This site https://difficulty.racing/index.html may assist in making things easier for you though I can't vouch for how up to date it is. 

4. In audio settings you will find radio verbosity, I have this down to critical, though it still does not prevent all nonsense it should at least shut off the basic tutorial messages. (if I recall correctly)

You can of course just turn off all voice for the practice sessions if you prefer, it's unlikely you'll miss anything of value. 

Edited by KNT2011

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KNT2011 said:

IT's been a while since I played around with driver career so 1&2 is difficult to help, we'll see if others have thoughts on it. 

3. I find this essential to get the best experience with the game, unfortunately Codies refuse to balance the AI so this must be done by the player. I would recommend running sessions at each track and noting the AI qualy times at various difficulty levels, adjusting as you go to balance with your own performance. While the argument is the player is better / worse at certain tracks, I'm afraid it is an excuse so as not to better balance the AI, Austria is the smoking gun, not been touched in many versions despite being a 20 point swing in difficulty. for max immersion you must do Codies job I'm afraid. 

This site https://difficulty.racing/index.html may assist in making things easier for you though I can't vouch for how up to date it is. 

4. In audio settings you will find radio verbosity, I have this down to critical, though it still does not prevent all nonsense it should at least shut off the basic tutorial messages. (if I recall correctly)

You can of course just turn off all voice for the practice sessions if you prefer, it's unlikely you'll miss anything of value. 

Thanks, I am guessing his "coaching" is linked to assists being on but would be nice if he just told us once, once a season I'd accept at a push but not every session 🙂

I'll try that site for the AI, I just tried AI level 80 at Australia and got myself a couple of tenths faster than Russell in a Williams, then tried the same in a Mercedes and was a tenth or two ahead of Bottas so , 80 seems fine for Australia. May have to tweak it down in Monaco, my car seems to like the walls too much there 😉

Edited by NeilUK02

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For point 1..  Russels ratings just aren't that good in the game if I'm not mistaken, likely part of the reason why you see him so low.  You also have to factor in your car performance rating along with facilities.  The lower they are, you could put Hamilton in that car and not be first on the grid.  Kind of like the IRL argument of what will Hamilton actually do in a Haas, or Williams? So there's more to it than just the teammate driver compared to you.    I think if you play around in My Team mode and build up facilities you'll eventually see when you have all facilities at level 3, you'll be applying like +15 OVR to your driver's skill rating.  Then combine that with your car performance level relative to other teams and you'll get an idea for how the system kind of works.  Hard to explain, but I think if you look into that mode a bit I think you'll get a better idea.

As for point 2...  Yes, You can push Williams up the field with R&D, but when all teams are maxed out on development (including yours) you'll still be last in terms of performance on the grid unfortunately.  It's the major downfall of the career/my team mode IMO.  That being said though, if you're aggressive with earning and spending R&D points you can certainly outpace the AI teams and get Williams to the top.  I have them currently at 3rd on the grid in one of my driver career modes.  Eventually though when everyone maxes out performance wise I'll be back at the bottom.   Really frustrating IMO.   They need to fix this for future releases but I assume that takes the actual real teams signing off on it.

Point 3...  I don't bother to always change the AI.  I know from reading here and other places though that many people do.  There's plenty of resources out there for that, some of which are linked by others here already I see.

Point 4..  Not quite sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can turn Jeff's settings down in the options. By default, I think his verbal frequency is 'everything'. By switching it to 'reduced' or 'critical' (I think that's what they are called) he won't talk as much.

Season 10 and you're winning the championship and Jeff explaining the HUD or the practice programmes for the zillionth time really starts to grind your gears!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2021 at 10:40 AM, USPBauer24 said:

You can turn Jeff's settings down in the options. By default, I think his verbal frequency is 'everything'. By switching it to 'reduced' or 'critical' (I think that's what they are called) he won't talk as much.

Season 10 and you're winning the championship and Jeff explaining the HUD or the practice programmes for the zillionth time really starts to grind your gears!

Hi , from what I can tell the verbal frequency is just for in race, with critical set he doesn't give you the time gaps for the car in front or behind which are meaningless as you can see them on screen. Sadly it doesn't stop him banging on about MFD or pit lane speeds etc etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He stopped talking about the MFD when I reduced him but this is a Codemasters game and consistency is not in their vocabulary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With due respect to users of the game having their own opinions of what they want a game about F1 to be , it seems that reading through these forums that people do not really want an F1 experience what they want is everything to be exactly the way it is in real life. which for obvious reasons it cannot and probably never will be in a game , but at the same time as having everything the same as it is in real life ( but without certain things that happen in real life because it gets irritating ) they want to be able to remove the halo and drive the car from the T- Cam and ditch the ambience /experience parts like radio chatter and crowd applause ; amongst  other things , I even read that someone wanted the glare from light from the sun on a wet track removed because they couldn't see the apexes Cleary , what like in real life ? : its bizarre

Anyway to cut along story short, the answer is that everything in the game needs to have an option to turn it off completely so that people can choose to rid themselves of the things that irritate them in the game and that would solve quite a large number of problems that people have.

Personally I would rather have Jeff say the same things over and over to me than radio silence because it adds to the effect in a long race that some one actually gives a xxxx that I am bothering to hammer round in circles for an hour and a half , " I'm so ronerey , so roneree "

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confused by your comments Exasperated! Nothing in my original post could make anyone feel I wanted a non F1 experience, I never said and would never say that I wanted to remove the sun!

Also getting rid of the constant tutorial messages from Jeff will not take away from the F1 experience, I have never been near Lewis Hamilton when he gets into his car but I can safely guarantee that his engineer doesn't give him lessons how to use his radio, or tell him how to use the pit lane or how to check tyre temps and so on every time he gets in. Those are lessons for the new player and should appear on the first run of the game or first career meeting.

The rest of my post was asking for tips on making the driver career as realistic as possible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NeilUK02 said:

Confused by your comments Exasperated! Nothing in my original post could make anyone feel I wanted a non F1 experience, I never said and would never say that I wanted to remove the sun!

Also getting rid of the constant tutorial messages from Jeff will not take away from the F1 experience, I have never been near Lewis Hamilton when he gets into his car but I can safely guarantee that his engineer doesn't give him lessons how to use his radio, or tell him how to use the pit lane or how to check tyre temps and so on every time he gets in. Those are lessons for the new player and should appear on the first run of the game or first career meeting.

The rest of my post was asking for tips on making the driver career as realistic as possible

I didn't quote you ,its not about you ;  it relates to what's being discussed all over the forum about F1 as a game in general , If I was talking about you specifically I would have addressed you or quoted you . In my tacked on opinion I haven't said anything that isn't true, 1 person seemed to agree. I'm sorry if you feel that I'm picking on you.

I only get messages from Old Jeff about things that need to be sorted on the car , I don't get any Tutorials and tips and I have 'Everything' selected , you just  need to select a different setting to get what you want.

Respect to you and enjoy your racing. Regards.

Edit: Have you got the game on casual or Standard if you have it on casual that's probably why you cannot get rid of Jeff's hints and tips , I must say I never had them in any of the F1 games and didn't know they even existed , hope you have sorted it .

Edited by Exasperated

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So having started a career with radio on 'critical' I'm still getting basic tutorials at times, it seems to be if I'm idling in the garage at least for now. 

Countless hours in this game and over the years, think I've figured out the MFD but hey :classic_tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KNT2011 said:

So having started a career with radio on 'critical' I'm still getting basic tutorials at times, it seems to be if I'm idling in the garage at least for now. 

Countless hours in this game and over the years, think I've figured out the MFD but hey :classic_tongue:

Do you have any assists on? I do, I am wondering if these "tutorials" are linked to assists being on.  If not then its inexplicable. Thank god for the pause menu, when parked in the garage that shuts him up. When on track I open the radio and that shuts him up, I accidentally found the command "Engineer Quiet" using this option when I snapped "Oh Shut Up" with the radio open !! It was similar to the legendary Raikonnen message a few years back when he was in the lead and they kept giving him updates. "Shut up, let me drive!" loved that message !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NeilUK02 said:

Do you have any assists on? I do, I am wondering if these "tutorials" are linked to assists being on.  If not then its inexplicable. Thank god for the pause menu, when parked in the garage that shuts him up. When on track I open the radio and that shuts him up, I accidentally found the command "Engineer Quiet" using this option when I snapped "Oh Shut Up" with the radio open !! It was similar to the legendary Raikonnen message a few years back when he was in the lead and they kept giving him updates. "Shut up, let me drive!" loved that message !

Ah yes, 'leave me alone, I know what I'm doing'. they should name the option that in honor of Kimi. I can't think what he would make of Jeff :classic_laugh:

I have traction control on medium, I don't see how that could be connected though? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, NeilUK02 said:

Do you have any assists on? I do, I am wondering if these "tutorials" are linked to assists being on.  If not then its inexplicable. Thank god for the pause menu, when parked in the garage that shuts him up. When on track I open the radio and that shuts him up, I accidentally found the command "Engineer Quiet" using this option when I snapped "Oh Shut Up" with the radio open !! It was similar to the legendary Raikonnen message a few years back when he was in the lead and they kept giving him updates. "Shut up, let me drive!" loved that message !

Try driving in cockpit view maybe that stops the tutorials , there are only five of us on the planet doing that ,   the developers probably thought ; well if they managed to work out where a driver sits to drive a car then he probably doesn't need any help driving it , like I said I don't get any , in fact even with 'Everything' on Jeff barely speaks to me during a race , sometimes I think its not working properly so we definitely are getting a different experience with the same game and its going to be down to the settings that you have it on compared to mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×