F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×

Thrustmaster t150 pedals

Hi all,

I'm racing with the thrustmaster t150 steer and it's great! But the durability of the pedals is not that good. I have the steer for over a year now, and it's already the third time that the spring of the gas pedal broke. It was my first wheel and pedals, so i didn't want to spend too much. Now my question: Is it a problem with all type of pedals, that the durability of the springs degrade after a few months? Or is it just because this one is a cheap model? If not, which pedals do you advice? Thanks a lot!

Borrie

Well, the cheapest alternative for that wheel is probably Thrustmaster T3PA, or at least the cheapest that's something to have. A lot better pedals than the standard ones for the wheel. I have those pedals myself for my T300 and I'm quite happy with them.

Edited by Lakrits
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, borrie90 said:

Hi all,

I'm racing with the thrustmaster t150 steer and it's great! But the durability of the pedals is not that good. I have the steer for over a year now, and it's already the third time that the spring of the gas pedal broke. It was my first wheel and pedals, so i didn't want to spend too much. Now my question: Is it a problem with all type of pedals, that the durability of the springs degrade after a few months? Or is it just because this one is a cheap model? If not, which pedals do you advice? Thanks a lot!

Borrie

The spring on those pedals is useless, you can either buy a set of T300RS pedals off eBay usually new for around £45 could be a lot cheaper depending on if people are after them or not , they are slightly better than the standard T150 pedals as the levers and pedals are better made, of course the pedals are metal ,not that that makes any real difference , the T150 and T300 pedals use the same base and the potentiometers are the same.

If you don't want to spend a load of money and you don't need to either as if you are happy with a 2 pedal set up then what you have is plenty good enough if you are console racing . You can fix your throttle pedal with a couple of suspension units off a Radio Controlled buggy (I did it and it works well) they are available on eBay use just 1 or 2 if you want more resistance . Make a bracket to glue or screw to the base  and one to go to the back of the throttle pedal lever and you will never have spring breakage problems again. You can buy a ready built thing like this on eBay by BBJ sim racing but its £30 and well overpriced like everything has become.

The T150 is a good wheel at the price  but a T300 is worth the extra cash if you can find it cheap, don't buy an older T300 if you decide to go that route , you need an actual RS one the old T300's had an issue with the calibration going haywire but they fixed it in the RS model

Edited by Exasperated
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 1:13 AM, Lakrits said:

Well, the cheapest alternative for that wheel is probably Thrustmaster T3PA, or at least the cheapest that's something to have. A lot better pedals than the standard ones for the wheel. I have those pedals myself for my T300 and I'm quite happy with them.

Thx for your answer! Is it the same problem with the T3PA that the springs in the pedals getting weaker after a few months, or is this just typical for my cheap plastic pedals? 😉

48 minutes ago, borrie90 said:

Thx for your answer! Is it the same problem with the T3PA that the springs in the pedals getting weaker after a few months, or is this just typical for my cheap plastic pedals? 😉

Well, I've had mine for almost a year now and the pedals feel the same as when I got them.

• Like 1

Try to get the t3pa, when using a wheelstand pro just remember to change the brake  and clutch pedal.

Edited by GunDeviLnl
Grammar
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've had the same issue, I emailed Thrustmaster support. They asked me to pull apart the pedal set to check if the springs were broken, when I said I couldn't see what's wrong with it they asked me to send my details so they could send me a replacement. No issues though they were a bit slow.

You can contact them here: https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/contact-en/

Edited by smalls048
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, smalls048 said:

I've had the same issue, I emailed Thrustmaster support. They asked me to pull apart the pedal set to check if the springs were broken, when I said I couldn't see what's wrong with it they asked me to send my details so they could send me a replacement. No issues though they were a bit slow.

You can contact them here: https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/contact-en/

Yeah, i contacted them, and they sent me a new spring, but i did this for the 3th time now... I just think we use the pedals too much here and they're not made for it... That's why we're looking for a more professional type of pedals. Thx for your answer!

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, borrie90 said:

Yeah, i contacted them, and they sent me a new spring, but i did this for the 3th time now... I just think we use the pedals too much here and they're not made for it... That's why we're looking for a more professional type of pedals. Thx for your answer!

Don't be fooled by marketing stuff with pedals, people talk a bout T3PA pedals (you're just getting another pedal for the clutch ) as if they are a huge improvement over the T150 or T300 pedal sets when the way they are made makes them virtually identical in performance as a pivoting lever that has a geared quadrant attached to it that turns a potentiometer via a set of straight cut gears. The readings that the pedals gives the game are the same there is no performance to be gained here because you do not get any flex in the pedals that is enough to affect performance, Yes the T3PA are built to be more durable but it has to be paid for with a higher price and if you are not a bashing stamping lunatic then you don't need that extra durability. . All that is needed is that the pedal levers move smoothly with no judder , the only thing that is wrong with the T150 throttle pedals is the specification of the type of metal and/or the heat treatment of it that the throttle spring is made of which means that it is too brittle or has some kind of weakness in the structure that leads to  it breaking  after some amount of use , The T300Rs throttle pedal spring does not have this problem although it is the same type of spring in the way it is wound as is the T3PA spring set that also does not have a problem with springs breaking , but unless you desperately need a clutch then you are not getting a much better set of pedals as the pedal lever arms on all of those models of pedal are all made of plastic , If you want rigidity (which you don't need on a potentiometer signalled pedal as it measures braking input through linear movement to the pedal  via the potentiometer not by pressure applied to the pedal ) then you need the T3PA PRO pedals that have the lever arms made of metal. Much more money and you still have a throttle that works with a potentiometer and has the same type of spring to make it work  performance gain so small in real terms as to be not worth the extra money  . In peoples heads ; because they paid more money and the box it comes in looks nice they get the psychological boost effect of thinking its much better , but that's all part of selling things to people.  , If you have a load cell  on your pedal set then you are talking about a totally different thing and that is when you want the superior quality of materials used as you are putting pressure force on the pedal set base and so it makes a difference but only where a load cell is used .

Edited by Exasperated
  • Like 1

Can confirm, the t3pa pro pedals are a huge step up, my mate has been telling me for a while how good they are but for my TMX they’re just not worth the investment. For anyone on a wheel less than about £500 pounds I don’t really think they’re worth it. But there again I’ve only had a ffb wheel for a year.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, smalls048 said:

Can confirm, the t3pa pro pedals are a huge step up, my mate has been telling me for a while how good they are but for my TMX they’re just not worth the investment. For anyone on a wheel less than about £500 pounds I don’t really think they’re worth it. But there again I’ve only had a ffb wheel for a year.

A huge step up , the only thing that is a huge step up about those pedals is the thickness of the base, but everyone is  entitled to their opinions.   I have all three of those pedal sets , a T150 and a T300 wheelbase. Enjoy your racing. Regar

The setup of the pedals in calibration and the FFB settings are the thing that make the difference between whether or not a user thinks that they are any good or not  , If I use one lot of settings in a driving game that are bad settings that make driving the car difficult then some one testing them would say they were **** pedals ,  if I change the settings for them into good settings that make the car very controllable then the tester will say they are great pedals  all controllers can be made to work much better if they are tuned in settings .

On default settings in the majority of driving games for  PS4 my Wheel and pedal sets are useless and you can barely keep a car on a track or road ,  it feels like you are driving a hovercraft but after hours of experimenting to get the settings right they work excellently and the car brakes and accelerates perfectly with no assists on , the actual pedals themselves are about 20% of the job even if you have Fanatic pedal sets with full metal construction and brass bushings etc its not just plug and play , I have a set of Fanatic pedals and they don't work any better than my T300RS pedals in game even  though they are made of better materials and are a more complex design.

Edited by Exasperated
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Exasperated said:

A huge step up , the only thing that is a huge step up about those pedals is the thickness of the base, but everyone is  entitled to their opinions.   I have all three of those pedal sets , a T150 and a T300 wheelbase. Enjoy your racing. Regar

The setup of the pedals in calibration and the FFB settings are the thing that make the difference between whether or not a user thinks that they are any good or not  , If I use one lot of settings in a driving game that are bad settings that make driving the car difficult then some one testing them would say they were **** pedals ,  if I change the settings for them into good settings that make the car very controllable then the tester will say they are great pedals  all controllers can be made to work much better if they are tuned in settings .

On default settings in the majority of driving games for  PS4 my Wheel and pedal sets are useless and you can barely keep a car on a track or road ,  it feels like you are driving a hovercraft but after hours of experimenting to get the settings right they work excellently and the car brakes and accelerates perfectly with no assists on , the actual pedals themselves are about 20% of the job even if you have Fanatic pedal sets with full metal construction and brass bushings etc its not just plug and play , I have a set of Fanatic pedals and they don't work any better than my T300RS pedals in game even  though they are made of better materials and are a more complex design.

The t3pa set also uses progression in the brake pedal for memory which gives some feel and allows muscle memory to be built up. For sure they are not the best option but the entire set costs about as much as a fanatec clutch pedal. And anything over the included pedals is a massive upgrade. there was a solid 1-2cm of wobble in my original set.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 1:34 AM, Exasperated said:

Don't be fooled by marketing stuff with pedals, people talk a bout T3PA pedals (you're just getting another pedal for the clutch ) as if they are a huge improvement over the T150 or T300 pedal sets when the way they are made makes them virtually identical in performance as a pivoting lever that has a geared quadrant attached to it that turns a potentiometer via a set of straight cut gears. The readings that the pedals gives the game are the same there is no performance to be gained here because you do not get any flex in the pedals that is enough to affect performance, Yes the T3PA are built to be more durable but it has to be paid for with a higher price and if you are not a bashing stamping lunatic then you don't need that extra durability. . All that is needed is that the pedal levers move smoothly with no judder , the only thing that is wrong with the T150 throttle pedals is the specification of the type of metal and/or the heat treatment of it that the throttle spring is made of which means that it is too brittle or has some kind of weakness in the structure that leads to  it breaking  after some amount of use , The T300Rs throttle pedal spring does not have this problem although it is the same type of spring in the way it is wound as is the T3PA spring set that also does not have a problem with springs breaking , but unless you desperately need a clutch then you are not getting a much better set of pedals as the pedal lever arms on all of those models of pedal are all made of plastic , If you want rigidity (which you don't need on a potentiometer signalled pedal as it measures braking input through linear movement to the pedal  via the potentiometer not by pressure applied to the pedal ) then you need the T3PA PRO pedals that have the lever arms made of metal. Much more money and you still have a throttle that works with a potentiometer and has the same type of spring to make it work  performance gain so small in real terms as to be not worth the extra money  . In peoples heads ; because they paid more money and the box it comes in looks nice they get the psychological boost effect of thinking its much better , but that's all part of selling things to people.  , If you have a load cell  on your pedal set then you are talking about a totally different thing and that is when you want the superior quality of materials used as you are putting pressure force on the pedal set base and so it makes a difference but only where a load cell is used .

So if i get it right the performance of the T150, T300 and T3PA pedals are about the same? The difference between those 3 is durability. They're all made with the same type of spring, but a breaking spring is only a problem with the T150 (correct me if i'm wrong). If i want an upgrade with a good money-performance ratio, which one do you advice?

I'm not @Exasperated but personally, I'd get the t3pa, if you want so save some money they're cheaper on eBay at around £50, if you can put up with the pedals for the rest of this year, Black Friday will have them a lot cheaper. If you're in the UK I used box.co.uk when I bought my wheel and saved like £50 on a TMX. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, borrie90 said:

So if i get it right the performance of the T150, T300 and T3PA pedals are about the same? The difference between those 3 is durability. They're all made with the same type of spring, but a breaking spring is only a problem with the T150 (correct me if i'm wrong). If i want an upgrade with a good money-performance ratio, which one do you advice?

Too keep thing in perspective you have a T150 wheel the force feedback is ok but  its very weak on a lot of games and the wheel itself feels horrible to touch even with gloves on because it is cheap and plasticky , so why worry about spending money on pedals when you already have some that work if you have a spring for the throttle pedal , you know what to do about that because I explained it , If you don't want to do that which is your cheapest option , I am trying to save you money here, then If you have an EBay account and a PayPal account then that is usually the best place to go to buy what you are after. I would buy a set of T300RS pedals if you can get them cheap as then when you want to sell your T150 it will be easier to sell because it will have a set of working pedals, If you buy T3PA pedals that will normally sell for more than a set of T300RS pedals then will you want to give them away with the T150 wheel .

Weigh up what is important to you, Personally i'd just make a spring up to make the pedals you have work to save money  and carry on using those until you decide to either stop gaming or get more serious, then if you want to get more serious then get some proper stuff like Fanatic sell if that what you feel you want/ need and skip out all the in between compromise things like the T3PA which are pedals that is for sure but in the never ending argument of which pedals will give you the best lap times , laughable because when you see pictures of some of the set ups people have with their expensive load cell brakes pedal sets pushed up against a wall under a desk and sat on a carpet not bolted down it makes you wonder if they have a clue what their doing.

The argument about what you should do and have is endless because talking nonsense is what human beings are very good at. Personally I think that it is absolutely essential that you have a proper sim rig frame that the pedals are bolted on to for rigidity or it's pointless having them in the first place; the list goes on , my friend says that it is essential to shave off 2 tenths blah blah , you probably get my drift

I've been doing this for decades but I don't race online because its not my bag , I'm not a badge of honour type but I have a proper rig and I happily use just a Thrust master T300 wheel base and a set of T300RS pedals when I am playing in F1 games  (with a half of a rubber ball fixed to the base behind the brake pedal to limit its movement , which you could do to your T150 pedal set and is the same idea as smalls048 mentions about the T3PA) or I use a set of T3PA PRO pedals (I got them cheap) if I want a clutch in Project Cars2 or a rally number because in truth games running on consoles just aren't good enough to warrant having anything much better in my opinion.

Any way in conclusion  you should  buy a set of Heusinkveld pedals and a Leo Bodnar Direct drive wheelbase with 400 NM of Force at the wheel it absolutely essential especially for use with top titles like 'table top GP racers '

A set of T3PA's it is then.   Enjoy your racing my friend.

Remember its the in game settings that make the pedals work as they  are working  while driving in the game  , if you have bad settings while using a Set of pedals worth £700 its not the pedals that are bad

Edited by Exasperated
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, smalls048 said:

The t3pa set also uses progression in the brake pedal for memory which gives some feel and allows muscle memory to be built up. For sure they are not the best option but the entire set costs about as much as a fanatec clutch pedal. And anything over the included pedals is a massive upgrade. there was a solid 1-2cm of wobble in my original set.

Yes true what you say , I'm just trying to save him money now so that he can spend all the money on some much better stuff when he upgrades and side step the in between stuff , but its his call of course , not mine

• Like 1

100% agree with you @Exasperated I cheaped out a while back and got a non-ffb wheel and 100% regretted it, no regrets though now with a tmx.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Exasperated said:

Did you try the Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals? I had the T3PA pedals from the T300 GT edition, but have now the T-LCM together with the T-GT and i like them together.

20200805_131446.thumb.jpg.41248a0b77c1ba9bdae69741465e1af5.jpg

I used to look at the Fanatec but since i did find a solution to have a display on my wheel, i decide to stay with Thrustmaster.

20200723_133153.thumb.jpg.75368255a9499cd4c8bbe72c6339fcbe.jpg

Greetings and keep on racing 👍

Edited by GioProductions

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, GioProductions said:

Did you try the Thrustmaster T-LCM pedals? I had the T3PA pedals from the T300 GT edition, but have now the T-LCM together with the T-GT and i like them together.

20200805_131446.thumb.jpg.41248a0b77c1ba9bdae69741465e1af5.jpg

I used to look at the Fanatec but since i did find a solution to have a display on my wheel, i decide to stay with Thrustmaster.

20200723_133153.thumb.jpg.75368255a9499cd4c8bbe72c6339fcbe.jpg

Greetings and keep on racing 👍

A thrust master by the looks of things nice clean tidy set up, my F1 Wheel looks like it has lapped Monaco for the last ten years constantly, where did you get your button stickers from with MFD and Overtake printed on them, The pedal set you have looks like it is probably a good purchase but I am really happy with what I have in stock at the moment , but may give them a try if my T3PA PRO set fails, Have you got Headphones, its much more immersive than speakers makes a big difference. Enjoy yourself. Regards.

I bet that butt kicker works good with that type of seat , hope you can afford the dentists  bills.

Edited by Exasperated

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Exasperated said:

A thrust master by the looks of things nice clean tidy set up, my F1 Wheel looks like it has lapped Monaco for the last ten years constantly, where did you get your button stickers from with MFD and Overtake printed on them, The pedal set you have looks like it is probably a good purchase but I am really happy with what I have in stock at the moment , but may give them a try if my T3PA PRO set fails, Have you got Headphones, its much more immersive than speakers makes a big difference. Enjoy yourself. Regards.

I bet that butt kicker works good with that type of seat , hope you can afford the dentists  bills.

Yes, i am using the Logitech G935 headset, as i have the Broadcast Mix ON in the game. Really like the sound of this year game with a headset.

I did request the stickers here:

https://simstickers.co.uk/

They have also stickers for your Fanatec gear.

Haha, you know you can adjust how intense the Buttkicker has to work, right? The only small issue i had, that my Ps5 doesnt have Optical output, so now i have to use the Optical output on my LG CX, so a bit of a workaround. 

I am looking forward to April to see what Thrustmaster will bring with the new F1 wheel..

Greetings

Edited by GioProductions

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, GioProductions said:

Yes, i am using the Logitech G935 headset, as i have the Broadcast Mix ON in the game. Really like the sound of this year game with a headset.

I did request the stickers here:

https://simstickers.co.uk/

They have also stickers for your Fanatec gear.

Haha, you know you can adjust how intense the Buttkicker has to work, right? The only small issue i had, that my Ps5 doesnt have Optical output, so now i have to use the Optical output on my LG CX, so a bit of a workaround. 

I am looking forward to April to see what Thrustmaster will bring with the new F1 wheel..

Greetings

Thanks for the site address for the stickers , talking of that butt kicker , I read somewhere that the company that makes that was going to make something specifically to use with driving games as they were not made with that purpose in mind , if they worked with console makers and game developers then they could make something really great that has its own port to plug into on the console.  The new TM F1 wheel looks good hopefully it has a couple more assignable buttons to use , that would make me buy it

Keep up the good work. Regards.

Edited by Exasperated

1 hour ago, Exasperated said:

Thanks for the site address for the stickers , talking of that butt kicker , I read somewhere that the company that makes that was going to make something specifically to use with driving games as they were not made with that purpose in mind , if they worked with console makers and game developers then they could make something really great that has its own port to plug into on the console.  The new TM F1 wheel looks good hopefully it has a couple more assignable buttons to use , that would make me buy it

Keep up the good work. Regards.

Ohh that would be great, as the Buttkicker is a bit of an old tech indeed. Do you have a link of were you did read this?

Thanks

20 hours ago, GioProductions said:

Ohh that would be great, as the Buttkicker is a bit of an old tech indeed. Do you have a link of were you did read this?

Thanks

Sorry can't remember where it was mentioned, I didn't save it to favourites and I read it about a year ago so its ' lost in time like tears in rain ' If you Google 'Butt Kicker' you may luck out and find it. Have a good race .Regards.