Calling all Fanatec Xbox users: PROOF that additional wheel inputs can be achieved!!!

If you’re a frustrated Fanatec Xbox user, disappointed with limited inputs, this is going to be essential reading.

Strap yourself in because it’s going to be a long post, but please persevere with it because it’s going to be worth it if this issue effects you.

TL;DR at the bottom, if you want a summary.

As some of you may know (who have seen my activity), I recently switched from a Logitech G923 to Fanatec gear and I have been commenting heavily about all of the functionality of the G923 wheel being supported on ACC on Xbox

So what? We’re using Fanatec gear, why is this important? 

Well, you’ve probably heard (on forums and from Fanatec) that the limited wheel input experienced by Fanatec users on Xbox is down to Microsoft restricting 3rd party peripheral inputs to that of a standard Xbox controller. i.e. Sorry, there’s nothing that can be done about getting all the extra buttons/ knobs/ rev lights etc working on Xbox - “big bad” Microsoft aren’t playing ball.

This was the replay I received from Fanatec support in Dec 20: “Unfortunately, Microsoft only allows the buttons you can find in their regular controllers to be mapped and used (meaning that it doesn't support the use of thumb encoders, two way switches, or multi position switches)” - screenshot below.

Hang on, you say all the G923 functions work on ACC for Xbox? So if Microsoft limit inputs, how did Logitech get it working when Fanatec can’t? 

I did say that - this was the case when I owned the wheel from Sep 20 when I bought ACC (so this was the case before I enquired to Fanatec in Dec 20). Now I can prove it - this is what led to this post. 

Through some investigative work and collaboration amongst Codemaster forum members, we’ve found it was achieved via a two-step process; 

•         Logitech developed the software to give the opportunity for game developers to use the additional inputs on their wheel (called a “SDK”). 
  •         The game developers then use this SDK to get those additional inputs working in their game.

Important note 1: Both these steps need to happen for the additional inputs to work in any game. When I had the G923 all functions worked on ACC, but on GRID the additional buttons didn’t (rev lights work in both games). This proves the 2nd point (see screenshots below).

Important note 2: I gather the outlined two-step process applies for any wheel manufacturer wanting to go over the standard number of Xbox inputs. If the wheel manufacturer doesn’t develop this SDK for their hardware, then the standard Xbox SDK is being used, thus limiting inputs to the same number as a standard Xbox controller (see screenshots below).

So have Fanatec developed the SDK’s?

I genuinely can’t say - you’d have to assume not, given the state of play. No one is able to confirm and I have not been able to find evidence of them existing for Xbox (if they did the functions would already be working right? Also, if they did exist and were awaiting approval from Microsoft, they would say so?). Also, If they did exist, I highly doubt Codemasters would choose to leave them out of the F1 Games; I know for sure on PS4 they haven’t, as PS have expanded the inputs allowed on their standard SDK, so Fanatec didn’t need to to develop a SDK and therefore Codemasters have made use of the additional inputs available on F1 2020).

Showtime: The proof - Logitech G923 working on ACC on Xbox 

There’s been some requests to obtain proof of this (because clearly my “word” is worthless to some of you🤔).

So to make believers of you all, I contacted the person I sold my G923 wheel to, and they have kindly provided the following video (see below - click in the blank space below and the video should start).

It’s one continuous shot - all the way from the Home Screen to gameplay. You can see the wheel controlling the whole process: starting the ACC game, and in the button mapping screen that the +/- and dial left/right rotations are recognised, as well as the rev lights working in gameplay. You’ll just have to believe my (this time) that the remaining inputs not shown (RSB/LSB, and dial “enter” button) also work as inputs. The general assertion is proved - these inputs shown are above the standard controller range. You can also see the rev lights working in game (that needs inputs coming back from the game). For avoidance of doubt, that mod on the wheel is a MVH Studio rim - as good as it is, it’s nothing more than a piece of plastic, and does nothing to get additional wheel functions working on Xbox.

I’m an effected Xbox user, what now?

It’s only right and long overdue that Fanatec tell us what the situation actually is. Make no mistake, this is important - you are now armed with the knowledge and proof of what is possible. What is clear is we need to make more noise about this where possible, and in order to make a real impact, I can’t do it alone and need your help;

•         Get in contact with Fanatec and let them know Logitech have managed to get the G923 fully working on the Xbox.
  •         Ask them what they are doing about their own wheel support on Xbox in light of this.
  •         If they tell you Microsoft limits inputs line, repeat the first point.
  •         Spread the message and knowledge to other Xbox Fanatec users, via your game forums etc so that they can do the same.

I hope the above has been informative. If you stuck with me this far, thank you. If you take up the cause - thank you, and may the force be with you. 

Monzie 🏎 

TL;DR

Fanatec can’t say limited wheel support on Xbox is because of Microsoft, Logitech G923 proves otherwise (see video). It was achieved via Logitech developing an SDK. Let Fanatec know they have the ability to get functions working, ask them what they intend to do about it, and spread the message about this to others. ☮️

55CCD79C-4B78-4017-880C-CF86B583EF80.jpeg

6CD480E9-DA60-431D-8396-2FF242D2025A.jpeg

D9D7B4A6-30D7-4FED-860E-827FA244B569.jpeg

73AE3500-55D7-4FC7-8D1D-CB5F754533F0.jpeg

Edited by Monzie83
  • Like 1

I've had mine since Nov.  ACC always had button/light support and their update not long later added trueforce.  DR2.0 worked as a basic FF wheel but LSB/RSB, the dial, enter, +&- and rev lights didn't work.  Apparently the recent patch has messed even that up.  PC2 thought it was a basic/old thrustmaster.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MauriceMiller said:

I've had mine since Nov.  ACC always had button/light support and their update not long later added trueforce.  DR2.0 worked as a basic FF wheel but LSB/RSB, the dial, enter, +&- and rev lights didn't work.  Apparently the recent patch has messed even that up.  PC2 thought it was a basic/old thrustmaster.

Super - thank you for confirming that it does work on ACC for Xbox and for the video also!

It all worked when I had the wheel (from release) but didn’t realise how much of an issue this was until I switched to Fanatec gear and sold my G923 wheel in December. Would have made a video of it all working if I knew what I do now then. I searched far and wide for video evidence and in the end got in touch with the buyer to make one!

Edited by Monzie83
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, MauriceMiller said:

DR2.0 worked as a basic FF wheel but LSB/RSB, the dial, enter, +&- and rev lights didn't work.  Apparently the recent patch has messed even that up.

Known issue regarding 1.17 and Logitech wheels. Rally team is investigating.

@Monzie83 Something I noticed when using my Fanatec gear in DiRT Rally 2.0 across both Steam and Xbox is that on Steam I have access to more force-feedback options.

When I ported my Xbox settings over I wondered why the wheel felt different, and turning Wheel Friction and Tyre Friction to zero gave me an identical feeling to my Xbox settings.

I guess this is another side-effect of the wheel not having native support on Xbox.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, PJTierney said:

@Monzie83 Something I noticed when using my Fanatec gear in DiRT Rally 2.0 across both Steam and Xbox is that on Steam I have access to more force-feedback options.

When I ported my Xbox settings over I wondered why the wheel felt different, and turning Wheel Friction and Tyre Friction to zero gave me an identical feeling to my Xbox settings.

I guess this is another side-effect of the wheel not having native support on Xbox.

Thanks for the input @PJTierney, the more examples of this type of thing we can gather, the better 👍🏽

Edited by Monzie83