Sign in to follow this  

Wheel recommendations?

I got an old logitech MOMO wheel and pedals right now. It works, but it's kind of bland. The force feedback is rather weak, it glitches a bit in the steering column, and the pedals are downright awful. 

So, if I would go for a new wheel (primarily for dirt rally), what would you recommend?

I've been looking at the G27, and I think that's a good benchmark in terms of price and performance (and it includes H-shifter). That's about 250-280 euro right now, but I can stretch my budget up to about 300-350 euro if something far better can be had for that price.

G29 looks nice, but also pricier than the G27. Is it worth going for it?

Thrustmaster has the T300 which is a bit cheaper than the G29. It has belt driven force feedback which is a plus, but no clutch pedal. The T500 looks awesome, but it's also a bit out of my price range. 

Fanatec seems nice but also out of my price range.

Are there any brands that I've missed that might be worth checking out? And how much better is belt driven force feedback compared to the G27/G29?

I'd wait and see how the thrustmaster servo wheel base will fare. It should be best option i think as the wheel system will be sort of modular and you can choose what kind of pedals you want to go with it and which type of wheel to attact to the base. That would be my choice if I were to buy a wheel right now (that servo wheel base + t3pa-pro pedals and th8 shifter is VERY TEMPTING for me even though i own a G27 right now)

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_IN/products/tx-racing-wheel-servo-base

TX racing wheel looks great, even if I currently own a T500RS.
But 280€ just for the base. No wheel, no pedals, no shifter. So if you want the whole package, it will cost you at least 600€.

IMHO, i advise you to buy the T300. It's a great wheel, better than T500 because of brushless motor. But as you said, no clutch. You can buy later a T3PA, quite cheap, and the clutch pedal is included. For the shifter, there is the TH8A, which is cool, but you need to setup it manually if you want the sequential mode, or the 7+1 one. Fanatec sells a really good one, you just have to press a button to switch from one mode to the other. But a bit expensive (200€).

Going full modular would be nice, but as DoctorDje says it'll get quite expensive for a full set. 

The only downside I can see with the T300 right now are the pedals. I'm used to driving without a clutch from the wheel I have right now, so I can make do without clutch even if I'd prefer to have one. Getting the standalone pedals later on is always an option.
How good are the T300 standard pedals? Especially the brake, is it decent with some proper resistance?

Yep, the pedals are definitely not as good as they should be, especially when you see the quality of the wheel. If the price was about 100€ cheaper, I probably would not say that, but for the price it actually costs, it's not acceptable. And you can't set it in GT mode. And yes, the brake resistance is decent. But I don't know if you can adjust it, as you can for the T500 one.
But can you buy better ? In this range of price, there are not so many options. There is just the G27 that has a clutch pedal, but the overall quality is not so much better. So, I think it's way better to later change the pedals rather than the wheel. T300 is great because you can buy it, and then upgrade it when you have enough money. You can change the wheel (for a F1, a F458, etc), buy a separate shifter (fanatec, thrustmaster), and pedals (T3PA, T3PA-Pro, Fanatec clubsport).
It's not necessary to buy everything immediately. you sure will enjoy DiRT and many other games even without a "top full set"  ;)

thats the thing, with t300 you pretty much need to also buy the pedals, so it will be expensive anyway. With that modular base you only buy what you want for your wheel, dont have to spend money for the shitty t300 pedals. 

I dont think the pricing for the new modular wheel is available, which is why i said it would be good to wait until that is on the market and decide then. 

We know the price, 279€ ;) 
A good deal (if the quality is good) for those who already own a wheel and good pedals.

the base + attachable wheel + pedals should be less than t500 rs, so I think it will be worth the wait.

So the T300 seems like a solid choice if I want to buy a full package. 

gheeD: thrustmasters suggested retail price for the servo base is 279€. A wheel will go for about 160-170, and T3PA-PRO about 170-180.
So if those prices are correct then going for a T300 and buying pedals later on will be cheaper or about the same price as going modular. 

Found some retail prices in Sweden. A full T300 RS kit goes for 3300 SEK, while just the TX servo base runs for 3000 SEK. So modular thrustmaster is just waaaaay too expensive to be worth it for me.

Went ahead and got myself an T300 RS last night, found one local reseller that actually had them in store :-)

The pedals were actually better than I feared they would be. Could use some progressive resistance on the brake but they were clearly usable :-) The wheel itself feels great, very robust and clear force feedback.

Now I just have to get used to the far greater rotation on it. What's your recommendation for settings? Right now I have everything at pretty much default, and just turned on soft lock. Is this a good way to do it, or should I change the setting of the wheel instead of using soft lock?

As I am still using a MOMO too, I would be interested in your experience, especially concerning your speed. Does it make any difference?

YoMrWhite said:
As I am still using a MOMO too, I would be interested in your experience, especially concerning your speed. Does it make any difference?
Just did a few runs yesterday to test it out, and so far I've been a bit slower mainly due to having to learn to drive with the far greater rotation than the MOMO. Need to have a week or so to see how much of a difference it makes. Right now I'm struggling a bit with turns where I have to do big movements with the wheel. I think greater rotation will be good for me in the long run, so trying to learn it instead of just putting the wheel at 270 degrees :-)
On faster passages and slides I do feel that I have much better control of the car, so I do believe I will be faster once I've gotten used to it. We'll see in a weeks time or so :-)

I recommend you to leave the drivers configuration as default with 900º; use the game to configure it out.

Use SOFT lock, in feedback options set it to 150; this is useful to find easely the lock/top of the steering when using cars like WRC 2010 wich have 540º rotation. With soft lock ON game will do this automatic; this sets the real º of rotation of each car,

Then you just have to work with the three first options in FFB setup:
"Self align torque" (good values around 60-100)
"Wheel friction" (nice values around 30-0)
"Tyre friction" (nice values around 15-45)

Of course this is to everyone's taste... you will find your own configuration by testing and testing... and playing a lot.

Thanks Señor Ozores :-) Gonna try those settings if I can find some time tonight.

Took me a week, but I'm getting more comfortable with the wheel now. Back to about the same times as with the old wheel, but getting much more consistent in my driving and crasch less.

I was away all weekend, and I'd recommend taking a break for a day or two when switching from the momo so you start fresh with the new wheel instead of feeling like it's all wrong.