Jump to content Jump to content

How fast can you drive on a flat tire before it explodes?

Hi, I just finished the first rally of the official club 2021 season in Scotland and on the final stage I burst a tire with no spares in the first 30 seconds. Being the last stage and in the top 100, I decided to drive carefully and avoid an involuntary retirement. I was surprised that I went the entire stage without the tire exploding. I didnt exceed 70 mph as i was concerned it would explode at higher speeds. But im wondering if anyone actually knows how fast you can go on a flat and if there are any other factors that effect flat tire wear.

10 hours ago, BiggusThiccus said:

Hi, I just finished the first rally of the official club 2021 season in Scotland and on the final stage I burst a tire with no spares in the first 30 seconds. Being the last stage and in the top 100, I decided to drive carefully and avoid an involuntary retirement. I was surprised that I went the entire stage without the tire exploding. I didnt exceed 70 mph as i was concerned it would explode at higher speeds. But im wondering if anyone actually knows how fast you can go on a flat and if there are any other factors that effect flat tire wear.

The tyre probably will not explode in the game I have driven on flats in game and it does not cause that much problem, In real life rally they drive for miles at high speed with a shredded tire both on and off the rim, so if I were you I would just drive as far and as fast as you can and not worry about it, 2 punctures on the same axle may cause a problem but I don't know if that is possible in the game.

• Social Media & Community Team
10 hours ago, BiggusThiccus said:

I don't have any data on what the speed limit is, but considering you went a whole Stage on a flat that's impressive. Maybe Mediums/Hards last longer before blowing out than Softs?

I stay always in 3rd gear in most cars if that happens. Most of the time the tire will eventually explode reaching the 2nd half of 4th gear.
Especially if a rear tire is flat I do everything to keep it, because the car gets really undrivable when it explodes.

Two flats on the same axle means retirement most of the time, because I play almost always without a spare.
And yes, that can happen, though it is very rare. Most of the time you hit something with one side and not with both sides.

I often asked myself if the 20kg for a spare are really simulated in this game or if that is just placebo 😅
Since my driving is not very consistent, I'm not really good in testing things like that.

Though if you need a spare, the time is not good anyway, so I don't take one.
Except for really long rallies, because chances you need one and still can get a good result get more realistic.
For this case I keep the flat for the rest of the stage and at the start of the next stage, the tire is replaced without time penalty.
Depends what saves more time, changing immidiately or drive the rest of the stage with a flat.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
On 3/10/2021 at 12:02 AM, BiggusThiccus said:

Ah. I got a flat in the first section of the first stage. This was my first effort in DR club and was most disappointed. I also didn’t seem to have a spare, not sure if that is the default (unlike career). 
I did the first 2 stages but retired as I’d had enough of the slowish driving and was many minutes down already. 

Do people know the stages well who do well in the rally’s?

I’m newish to the game so don’t remember stages well and have a habit of going too fast and being so inconsistent.  
On the few stages I know well from time trial I’m not too bad (Now up to 143 - 3”16’251 -in fiesta R5 on @PJTierney Rockton plains time trial)

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, BoringDamo said:

Do people know the stages well who do well in the rally’s?

Definitely yes.
Don't know the current standings, but you can be sure, the best 200-300 drivers at the end of the rally know the rally pretty well by now.

In such a long rally it's more important to avoid big mistakes and reaching the goal in one piece.
You move up the ladder quite quickly, the longer you survive.
Even the fastest drivers do mistakes from time to time and retire, all humans.
Well...maybe a few aliens are also on the LB somewhere....

• Like 2
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2021 at 12:02 AM, BiggusThiccus said:

Looks like the use of the word explode was the issue there , as I was a tyre fitter for quite a few years when I was much younger Car, truck agricultural through to Earthmover, then as you said your tyre had burst at the start of the stage then it would have no air in it which is how I experienced the punctures that I had in game , if a tyre has punctured in this way then there will not be enough pressure in it to be able to explode ,  a tyre will just start to break up as it deflates in the way that it happens in game , with the way a rally tyre is constructed and because of  its reinforced stiff sidewalls and also the way it mounts to the rim then you can drive on it flat longer than you would be able to with an ordinary road tyre before this disintegration becomes very bad , this could end up with one bead or both beads being dragged from the rim and I would think that this situation is more likely what would be being simulated in the game as once the shredded tyre leaves the rim even just one bead then that is when you lose all grip  , what little there is compared to an inflated intact tyre.

I never had a tyre that exploded in the game but what I am saying is if you have a puncture that you can actually feel affecting the driving then there should be no exploding going on because the tyre would not have enough pressure in it to explode and I know what exploding tyres are like because I've been stood right next to a few that have exploded including truck tyres with 110psi in them and more than one , and I can tell you that contrary to nonsense talk about you will be killed if this happens , what actually happens is the tyre just rips open a little and there is a noise that sounds like a bomb going off and the wheel and tyre jumps off the ground a couple of inches and the wheel tyre falls over , nowhere near as dramatic as people like to imagine it is. I am talking about non locking ring tyres here which are potentially lethal if you don't know how to fit them.

If they do have explosion noises in the game with punctures after they deflated awhile back before they do explode then all well and good but it is for dramatic effect not realism.

Edited by Exasperated

In the game you get a bit of an "exploding tyre" action even if it was deflated previously.  That is because often when these tyres fall apart after puncture at speed, they do some serious damage and the tread hits all kinds of things and rips them off.   

In the game they did go after a bursting tyre effect though, with small flames and stuff. 🙂

• Like 1