Sign in to follow this  

Driver assists should be faster.

Have a dilemma, set a PB fastest time (F1 2013) on TT in the FW14 at Imola using no driver assists, turned on ABS & TC expecting to go faster still but was actually slower!?! The '92 FW14 had these assists (partly the reason why it destroyed the rest of the field at the hands of Mansell & Patrese) so it should be faster with the assists enabled. Right?

you should be faster with assist that´s right, but with automatic gearbox because when te gearbox is manual you can better "play" with the inputs.  
And i know the problem but when you usually drive without assist (like me) and than use it you´re slower than before for a couple of rounds because you have to get use to it.

@KuB‌ Yes I see, I use manual gearbox always. So you think that I will be faster with the ABS & TC assists once I've learned the method of driving with them? It a slightly different technique but I do think its achievable, just more practice is required.

Technically u shouldn´t be faster with TC and ABS.

All that TC does is limit the power that´s being used and ABS limits the braking force.

I agree, u are more consistant using TC and ABS but if u know how to drive without them, you should be faster.

@pigass‌ In that case I guess I've hit my limit. Seems strange though as I said before the real life FW14 did use these assists and they were faster. Also when TC was legal in the F1 rules no driver failed to use the system because of its advantage.

Quattro7 said:
 Also when TC was legal in the F1 rules no driver failed to use the system because of its advantage.
A question of consistancy

Driving with assists is not faster, and never should be. Technically it isn't faster, and it isn't faster in real life racing.
In real life racing, there are almost none who uses ABS. Wonder why?
No assists are for pros, and pros are fast. Turn them off.

@pigass‌ I've always thought that but it was always used during qualifying too. The torque and diff settings on the current formula rules act very similar, there's technically no complete free control of the power supplied to the rear wheels since fly-by-wire came in.

@pigass‌ Anyway I tweaked my set-up (still not using any driver assists) and went over six tenths faster than my PB tonight. Didn't wait to see where I'd ranked but was previously 350th with a 1:24.322.

@jacobfraeer‌ I don't use driver assists as the norm but was just saying that the FW14 had them in real life. ABS isn't used on race cars because it was to easy for the drivers, took away their skill of modulating the pedal. One thing is for sure though, no racing driver what ever their name could out perform an ABS system. I personally think that driver assists shouldn't be frowned upon, you wouldn't want to fly in a plane that didn't have its avionics, Niki Lauda said that.

Given they upped the pace and aggression of the AI in 2013 then yes they should have been made faster and to me that was another of F1 2013's problems hopefully it's sorted out going into F1 2014

I believe the more assists you have enabled, the slower you should be. This would be an incentive for everyone to become a better driver and ditch the training wheels.

I feel my point is being missed. "set a PB fastest time (F1 2013) on TT in the FW14 at Imola using no driver assists, turned on ABS & TC expecting to go faster still but was actually slower!?! The '92 FW14 had these assists (partly the reason why it destroyed the rest of the field at the hands of Mansell & Patrese) so it should be faster with the assists enabled."

I thought is was because of active suspension why the 92 FW14 destroyed the competition. I'm sure I remember Mansel saying how it was worth nearly two seconds a lap. TC and ABS are precautionary measures and can help to make an average driver as fast as a good driver. Without them, they are worlds apart.

Try heavy rain, exit of tunnel at Monaco, then you'll see where assists really get ahead of the game. I think CM has imposed some very small weight penalties for using assists, they certainly did in F1 2012. I've never tried, but would imagine that you could use brakes high-large everywhere with assists, which despite extra weight has to make you quicker I'd have thought.

Manual gears is definitely faster as you can use the gearbox for extra "engine braking" into corners.You can also use a downchange mid-corner to tuck the nose in. This is all very nicely programmed IMO.

Quattro7 said:
@SpecOps1UK‌ So can a non-assists user beat a driver with assists in a race?
Heavy rain - assists every time, light rain - it's close, no rain - I'd say no assists slightly faster. In our leagues, we have a mix of assists/no assists leagues and when we get together at the end of each season, the no assists guys are starting to dominate a bit. The truth is that talent is far more important than the assists you use though.

Depends on driver ability. I'm always faster with no assists on any game I race but some of my mates are faster with assists. 
Quattro7 said:
@SpecOps1UK‌ So can a non-assists user beat a driver with assists in a race?
Absolutely.

I understand that in the game no-assists make for a faster laptime. I was trying to say that the real life FW14 had driver assists and was quicker because of them. Senna tried to join Williams as early as '93 (vetoed by Prost) because of their car advantage and also wrote a letter to Mosley to get the systems banned because he couldn't compete. The FW14 was such a force that it held lap records all over the world on all types of circuits up until most were beaten by the cars of 2004, which ironically still used traction control. To summarise, driving the FW14 on the game when using assists should be faster than non-assists.

Yes but the game has to be balanced in time trial and online (with equal cars), so if all the other cars in the game are faster without assists then there cannot be one that is.

As for the driver assists on the game, I'm not sure that they can be fully ruled out when trying to set a fast laptime, setting the car up around using some of them can prove advantagous. The only guys that would truly know this answer would be the programmers at Codemasters.

With assist on, from a GAMEPLAY perspective, you should always be slower than an equally skilled player running no assist.

@DarkRedslayer‌ I was really only referring to the Williams FW14 which had driver assists in real life.

I think you are looking too far into this one. 

Their handling model is not in-depth enough for some cars to have these assists, they just make them drive different.  If so the assists would be locked on. 

Get my point?

@NickDahy‌ Yes, I was disappointed when the FW14 didn't have its active suspension modelled, in that respect it drives no different to any other car. If I was going to be really picky I'd say that the 80's cars all have the wrong gearbox also. The only 80's car to have a semi-automatic gearbox is the '88 Ferrari! :D