Jump to content Jump to content

[IMPROVEMENT] Damage related. More damage & feedback

OzoreXS

Hi all, I´ve been waiting to see how CODEMASTERS deal with this. Seems like damage system is VERY LIGHT... you need to have a very serious accident to get the car broken.
However, theres some weird weak points in the car like frontal lights; many times, a very slight lateral touch results in a broken front light

So, I miss a lot of thing that we saw in the past such (even in Colin series):
- Electrical failures: wipers, lights, ABS,... not working properly
- Mechanichal malfunctions like missing a gear from gearbox if you mess with it (ie. 3rd gear lost... you have to drive without it until its repaired) or brakes giving up if you dont care them, taking longer distances to stop the car
- Exhaust failure from a huge jump (sound change and a bit power down included) or hitting somethign from below
- Individual suspension failures from hitting big rocks and such; providing difficulty at driving since its not working properly
- Feedback on the steering wheel!! if you have damaged the direction, the steering wheel have a high probability to be "twysted" driving on straigh line; vibrations from an unbalanced wheel/tyre... lateral forces from a a damaged suspension arm...etc.

You know what I mean...

This game, to me, is already a top title...but now its time to convert it in a myth, in a reference.

Kind regards
YES!

I think 0.6 upped the damage slightly (feels like it's a bit easier to damage components). But I would really like more kinds of damage and much more effects from the damage. There are times when I ran front first at 150 KPH into rocks, and my car looks like a complete wreck. But handling wise it's hardly noticeable.
Dytut said:
YES!

I think 0.6 upped the damage slightly (feels like it's a bit easier to damage components). But I would really like more kinds of damage and much more effects from the damage. There are times when I ran front first at 150 KPH into rocks, and my car looks like a complete wreck. But handling wise it's hardly noticeable.
I've noticed this too. Before the update i could drive 100+ kph straight in to wood and there was no noticeable damage, but now if i hit a tree at high speed, i have suffered unrecovery car. I was actually positively surprised when that happened.
I just finnished a 7 min stage at greece with the radiator ruined from the very first meters...

I was able to complete the stage (reving to the red all time) and there was no more damage nor power loss

Its just no good.

More hardcore damage is a no-brainer. Obviously there should be an option to soften it, but the only question is "how to handle damage in online events?".

I think everyone should have to suffer realistic damage, but this may turn off some of the more casual gamers, so maybe there could be some noob online events with low damage. But I really hope they just make it realistic damage for all online events >:)
  • 3 weeks later...
I would also like more damage to the car, like steering start dragging to one side, 
broken dampers and so on. And less punctures and that silly time punishment. 
Your down on the rim way to fast too. I have had several punctures in real life, and 
it`s amazing how far you can drive before the tire is gone. 

Cheers :)
  • 3 weeks later...
Another thing I noticed is the actual light bulbs fragility. 

Even the slightest touch against a bush can break the bulbs. Sometimes times all of them (frontal) at once! 

This creates unfair and unrealistic situations sometimes.

I dont know, if were gonna have "solid granite cars" the lights must be in 
consonance :smiley: 

...I would prefer the rest of the car as fragile as the bulbs are!
  • 4 weeks later...

We made a design decision early on to make the cars more robust to encourage players to carry on through an event rather than just hitting the restart button.

I'll hold my hands up and say that we made the cars stronger than they should have been so this is something that is on our list to look at.

I don't think the solution is to make all the cars more fragile across the board as this may overly punish some players but I do think a 'hardcore' or 'sim' damage mode may be a good solution to this. Again it is on our list but the simulation guys are very busy with the v2 handling so it may take a while to happen.

KickUp said:

We made a design decision early on to make the cars more robust to encourage players to carry on through an event rather than just hitting the restart button.

I'll hold my hands up and say that we made the cars stronger than they should have been so this is something that is on our list to look at.

I don't think the solution is to make all the cars more fragile across the board as this may overly punish some players but I do think a 'hardcore' or 'sim' damage mode may be a good solution to this. Again it is on our list but the simulation guys are very busy with the v2 handling so it may take a while to happen.

WHOOOOO!!! :-D
KickUp said:

Thanks; I we have a retrospective look into Dirt series, I would swear the damage model was "softer". Hard enough to go full throtle without issues but penalizing accordingly to the magnitude of crash.
I remember .. in Dirt 2, when you got a huge accident you rarely could go back on track... or not without serious mechanichal problems.

To be honest, I personally dont spect (and dont want) a sim damage model on Dirt Rally. I would  not have any sense and would subtract overall "fun".(IMHO)

But I miss a bit more of "realism" in some scerarios. I crashed hard out, at 120, 150..190 km/h and the car remained almost intact. This is not good.

I bet working on damage model must be one of the most demanding tasks, so I´ll be not much surprised if this doesnt change.

As usual and after all, this is only a suggestion. :)
@KickUp : On the topic of damage models, is tyre wear being taken into account (as in worse grip the longer we run on them), and will we be able to choose between different tyres in the future?

For the current game with just two stages between service areas I guess tyre wear won't do much of a difference, but for longer custom leagues tyre choice and driving in a way to save the tyres would be quite interesting.
More hardcore damage is a no-brainer. Obviously there should be an option to soften it, but the only question is "how to handle damage in online events?".

I think everyone should have to suffer realistic damage, but this may turn off some of the more casual gamers, so maybe there could be some noob online events with low damage. But I really hope they just make it realistic damage for all online events >:)
You could also just have private lobbies with custom control? Just like any other racing game? I personally avoid online racing since most people suck, or conversely, I don't want to make someone else mad, but joining a session and having a guy pit maneuver you directly into a wall is quite irritating.
Ageed. The problems is htat the no brainer with you, damage his car and damge your car ruining your race...

RXD was plenty of crashkids, but now is better. Also, everytime I create a lobby, I do it without damage for pure racing. I miss the contact with clean drivers but this is preferible.
KickUp said:

I really hope this will be implemented as there are even assignments in steam that can be done only if damage model is going to be changed. Also I didn't heard of anyone crashing the car in other way than losing wheels...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Well , I got totally pissed of at weeklies. I got countless punctures with group B. I got puntctures in many ways and scenarios. This is broken.

Also, still you cant notice any damage (none but punctures are translated to wheel) on the car. And worse, exhaust damage give you some riculous turbo boost, adding like 100bhp to the car.

Its a shame Dirt rally lacks a good damage system...

Archived