Jump to content Jump to content

Career Mode - Driver Market

This system needs overhauled badly.  It's so poorly done this season.     You can't sign as a #1 or #2 driver.  No control over teammates.   I get that, you're just a driver.   Come on though, in this day and age of video games there needs to be flexibility for the player.   Here's why...  Going into Season three.   Raikkonen is already retired.  Vettel just retired.   I left Williams to go to Mercedes at the end of season 1.  Bottas ended up on the street.  Albon moved to my seat at Williams, and Haas signed Aitken.    Really? 

Fast forward to season 3, I want to go back to Williams to restore the glory with Russel.   Can't do that though.    Vettel retires.   I sign with Williams.  Russel goes to Racing Point, Bottas back to Merc.  Albon to Ferrari, Latifi is now with Haas, and Williams signs Matsushita to be my teammate.  I mean... come on.  What is that garbage?   No matter how many times I close, and retry the same scenario always plays out.   It gets even crazier if I try to renew my contract with Merc though, because then it bounces Hamilton out and the whole grid mixes itself up again with decisions that make no sense.  Who in their right mind wants to play a game like this?

Why is it so damn difficult to get this right, or just give the player the option again?!  We used to be able to have to work to 1st driver status; now you have no clue what you're going to be, or you're just always #1... whatever the game decides I guess.  You can't pick your teammates aside from the start of the mode.  It's gotten this career mode to unplayable for me because no matter what I do, or where I sign it makes a damn mockery of the driver lineup across all teams.  Its ridiculous.  Give us the control to at least pick who we're replacing at the new team, then let your messed up AI do something with the rest of the grid. 

This is the second career mode I'll have to abandon now.  First time around I started with Alfa, tried to move to Ferrari after Season 1 and Leclerc gets bounced to Alfa, Bottas to Haas, Magnussen is on the street, Grosjean retires.  Haas signs Aitken, Ferrari signs Zhou to be my teammate.   I mean.. come on.  Why even bother?  Who wants to play that out?  Just give us back control to set the roster wherever and however we want. 

Hopefully this is something EA allows, along with team ratings, and driver rating customization within the career/my team modes.   The way the system currently works is just a complete mess as it basically breaks the mode every single time.

Simple fix:  Add an owner mode/option.   You get to run the real F1 team, just like My Team mode.  In control of signing drivers, upgrading facilities, r&D etc.   Problem solved.  Almost... except for the stupid moves the system will make on its own.  At least it's some control though to fix the glaring issues.

Edited by petro1319

Ideally it would be great to have the ability manually adjust the entire driver lineup after every contract period if we don’t like the cpu changes. This way everyone would get fantasy silly season and the ability to customize so best of both worlds. They shouldn’t even bother trying to fix the crazy stuff and just build in the manual adjust function imo. 

• Agree 2
  • Administrator

To play devils advocate, if you are in the Career mode specifically, you are simply the driver.

If you'd have said 12 months ago that Perez would be at Red Bull, Albon's out, Sainz is at Ferrari, Vettel is at Racing Point, Racing Point are now Aston Martin, Ricciardo's at McLaren, and Alonso is back at Renault, you'd be mad. That's not even covering Haas, Tsunoda and Hulkenburg & Russell's cameos. 

If you want more control on the driver moves that affect you, then I'd recommend moving to MyTeam. That is the owner mode you're requesting.  In real-life, drivers don't get to pick their teammates.

• Like 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

To play devils advocate, if you are in the Career mode specifically, you are simply the driver.

If you'd have said 12 months ago that Perez would be at Red Bull, Albon's out, Sainz is at Ferrari, Vettel is at Racing Point, Racing Point are now Aston Martin, Ricciardo's at McLaren, and Alonso is back at Renault, you'd be mad. That's not even covering Haas, Tsunoda and Hulkenburg & Russell's cameos. 

If you want more control on the driver moves that affect you, then I'd recommend moving to MyTeam. That is the owner mode you're requesting.  In real-life, drivers don't get to pick their teammates.

Any plans for being able to control a real life driver in career mode to go along with the option of creating a driver? You don’t start a career in fifa and create your own team.

21 hours ago, BarryBL said:

That would have been a good bet at the bookmakers!

I agree, drivers drive and don’t bother with who the team signs. But why, am I the driver, responsible for all the R&D in Career mode then? I think all the little programs in the practise session are good fun and are much better than driving around aimlessly and collect the R&D points. Shouldn’t the team decide what to upgrade though? Maybe ask me what I want: more power? More downforce? But sort the rest out themselves.

I hope career mode stays, ‘cos My Team does not appeal to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
  • Administrator

I think that is a fair point @PV75 and its a balance we aim to work towards improving all the time.

Like you've quite rightly said, Practice without the programmes would be a lesser experience than with. So we work towards finding a balance between something that would make sense from a sporting standpoint (unlikely a driver has ever picked a teammate, and definitely not a teammate of a team they are just joining) and to find a way to make the Career mode engaging both on and off track.

I think the best response would be that the teams may have stats on what they feel could be improved (so, the 'recommended upgrade' feature we currently have as a vague translation), however, giving the player a chance to manipulate a R&D path to get a car that they enjoy in terms of characteristics is also a good reward path, as well as climbing the grid. A driver would at least be always very involved in the development of the path of the car (as they are driving it), I doubt the same happens with driver transfers. (its possible, but unlikely. We'd never know that information, as it'd be done internally by the teams)

Personally, I've always gone weight reduction first, as its a nice boost everywhere. However, some might want to be rapid down the straights and worry about the corner when they get to it. 

• Agree 1
Posted (edited)
On 3/17/2021 at 2:36 PM, BarryBL said:

I understand I'm just the driver in career mode.  That's part of the problem though.  Still as a driver with my agent I would have the ability to negotiate my contract with any particular team to be considered as the first or second driver depending on my experience and status.  We used to have that functionality in the game as well.  Why was it removed?

Your point about the driver changes this year is noted but your assumption I'd be mad about that is incorrect.  Tsunoda, Mazepin are joining F1, from the F2 ranks.  Alonso and Hulk are the only outsiders.  The rest of the moves though are logical in the realm of F1.  In my career mode scenarios the moves I'm talking about are NOT realistic.  The simple fact of the matter is Matsushita, and Aitken are drivers taking seats in my game and neither is even actually a part of F2 anymore because you guys refuse to let us use the new 2020 F2 drivers within career and my team modes when they finally got released.  Now are we seeing the problem?   In a previous career save I also had to abandon when I tried to move to Ferrari, Leclerc and Bottas were there currently.  Because of my move taking a seat at Ferrari Leclerc went to Haas (the 2nd worst team on the grid in the mode at the time-REALLY?!?!?!), and Bottas was replaced with a "fake driver" as my teammate with an OVR in the 50's.  Why?    Where did Bottas go? He didn't even end up at another team, he was completely off the grid. Why isn't Mick Schumacher, Mazepin, or any other F2 driver being brought up?    So your assumption couldn't be farther from accurate here.  The moves that are made have no logic to them it seems.  Plus, we're stuck with a crop of F2 drivers that are over a year out dated which adds to the frustration and lack of realism.  So, sure... I'm just the driver but as I said I'd still have choices as to where I'd want to go, whether I'd be willing to accept a seat as the #2, or #1.  Heck, you could even argue some drivers on the grid DO have a say in their teammate as well. 

As for the solution to play a different mode...  Coming from a member of the Codemasters staff; that's pretty ridiculous to be honest.  If I wanted to drive for a generic make believe team I would, and I do play that mode.  However I wanted to play a second career mode driving for a REAL F1 team and at least have a realistic game world to play within, not one with outdated drivers, fake drivers, disappearing drivers and driver moves that seem to have no sense of logic to them at all.

The simple fact remains... what happened to the old contract negotiation mode where these things existed?  Why can't the player play the game how they want? At least give the option to override the flawed logic of the system.  Give the option to use CURRENT F2 drivers that are in the game, but not in the mode for some odd reason. 

The solution to play a different mode isn't the solution at all; and to hear that as the solution from someone on staff is incredibly disheartening, but speaks alot to many of the complaints we see on this board from long time players about the direction of the game.  The solution is to listen to your customers feedback rather than make assumptions and turn a blind eye to the obvious issue, and to make a mode that makes more sense and gives the player more control of the world they're playing in within a 10 year career mode.   Not just say OK player, if you want to drive for a real F1 team in our career mode its our crazy messed up way, or oh well... 

Love My Team mode, it's fantastic especially for only being in the game one year.  Fleshing it out more is going to make it even better.  Driver career mode however, took a major step back IMO with the contract features being removed, no use of current up to date F2 drivers, and poor logic for drivers.   The point of a 10 year career mode should be for it to be a logical, living world for the player to move through their career and mode improving themselves and their position on the grid; especially if you start with a low ranked team.  Instead, it just becomes a complete mess if you try and make a move as the player.  I'm simply saying we need a better system to improve the longevity of the mode.   What's the incentive for me to play either of my two driver career modes any longer when moves like I've described happen? It completely kills the immersion.

Edited by petro1319