Jump to content Jump to content

Is F1 2020 slower on PS5

Hi everybody

I've been playing F1 2020 on PS 5 for a week now but i'm about 1 second(!) slower than I was on a PS4.

Yes, everything looks smoother and better but my laptimes are increasing...

Is it some sort of compatability issue? 

4 hours ago, Matster79 said:

Hi everybody

I've been playing F1 2020 on PS 5 for a week now but i'm about 1 second(!) slower than I was on a PS4.

Yes, everything looks smoother and better but my laptimes are increasing...

Is it some sort of compatability issue? 

Try driving in a different camera view , I am guessing here but assuming you use T Cam view then change to say front wing cam instead and see if that works out for you , I drive in cockpit cam because that's where drivers sit ,l know call me old fashioned but if I change to T Cam my time improves by about 10 seconds. on the same track , same car , same setup. In F1 2019 my cars speed improved by using default cockpit camera settings rather than my custom settings , when I started playing F1 2020 there was an in game note that stated ' changing these settings can adversely affect your game' or words to that effect

If you are wondering why I don't drive in T Cam if there is such an advantage speed wise , its because I don't like it , it makes me feel bad.

In computer programme driving racing games tuning your car comes in many ways as you may have noticed when you try to keep up with the top of the leader board runner using the same car and his/her setup , its amazing how the car they are driving seems to have a nitrous oxide deployment system fitted as they just accelerate away from you  rapidly  when you are maxed out in 8th gear on a straight driving the exact? Same care with exactly the same setup and also their car is completely on rails when they take a corner unlike yours that has understeer and oversteer , in the same car with the same set up.  This is because you do not have their  exact gaming hard ware set up and their exact in game calibration plus their exact FFB settings and whatever else they are doing/using to achieve their lap time.

All things are not equal       Lance Armstrong can tell you that.

Try turning up your on track force feed back setting to get more grip ,

Edited by Exasperated
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Thank you for your comment. 

Guess I have to find the right settings. It's strange. When I start my lap with a long straight i'm in the green and at the end of this straight I already lost 2 tenths of a second. This is weird. Only difference is the PS5..

• Like 1

Thats really weird mate. I have no issues like that after i switched from my ps4pro to my ps5. 
I still use the same Tcam settings and the same setups. And i get around the same laptimes.

is it maybe something with the calibration of your throttle? Does it actually reach 100%?

• Administrator

To confirm this, the version of the 2020 game issued on PS5 is exactly the same as PS4. Its the same across both generations, as is with Xbox and Xbox Series.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Framerate

What did you mean by this? Isn't the frame rate 60 Hz on both PS4 and PS5? And a pretty stable 60 Hz on PS4 if I remember the Digital Foundry video correctly.

• Agree 1
2 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

What did you mean by this? Isn't the frame rate 60 Hz on both PS4 and PS5? And a pretty stable 60 Hz on PS4 if I remember the Digital Foundry video correctly.

Yes exactly what does he mean. PS5 should handle it much better than a PS4. So in my opinion laptimes should be quicker.

16 hours ago, Matster79 said:

Yes exactly what does he mean. PS5 should handle it much better than a PS4. So in my opinion laptimes should be quicker.

PlayStation 5 vs PS4 / PS4 Pro: Is PS5 much more powerful? (pocket-lint.com)

Yes, I'm sure it does. You're assuming that better CPU/GPU equates to more FPS (which would be correct) but this doesn't mean your laptimes will be faster.

You can see here that the PS4 Pro for example clocks only 30FPS at 4K - counter-intutitively this might lead to faster laptimes. PS4 can't do 4K.

This all goes down to the game engine not being framerate dependent, but it is; as is the preference for PC users to have higher framerates (lack of variance) to improve FFB.

So if you're playing at 1080 HD the same effect could be seen. A PS5 will have even more frame / timing delays to lock at 60FPS so could be slower laptimes. PS4 to PS4 Pro won't be as noticeable because the difference isn't as big.

1 hour ago, steviejay69 said:

PlayStation 5 vs PS4 / PS4 Pro: Is PS5 much more powerful? (pocket-lint.com)

Yes, I'm sure it does. You're assuming that better CPU/GPU equates to more FPS (which would be correct) but this doesn't mean your laptimes will be faster.

You can see here that the PS4 Pro for example clocks only 30FPS at 4K - counter-intutitively this might lead to faster laptimes. PS4 can't do 4K.

This all goes down to the game engine not being framerate dependent, but it is; as is the preference for PC users to have higher framerates (lack of variance) to improve FFB.

So if you're playing at 1080 HD the same effect could be seen. A PS5 will have even more frame / timing delays to lock at 60FPS so could be slower laptimes. PS4 to PS4 Pro won't be as noticeable because the difference isn't as big.

I'm not sure any of the above is relevant here. Below is the Digital Foundry video I was remembering. This shows the PS4 Pro game ran at a stable 60 Hz at 1800P, and going by @BarryBL's post above I believe the PS5 should be doing the same? If so then I see no reason for there to be any difference in lap-times as a result. Am I missing something?

https://youtu.be/Ef-lMW6bdwc

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Administrator
19 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I'm not sure any of the above is relevant here. Below is the Digital Foundry video I was remembering. This shows the PS4 Pro game ran at a stable 60 Hz at 1800P, and going by @BarryBL's post above I believe the PS5 should be doing the same? If so then I see no reason for there to be any difference in lap-times as a result. Am I missing something? 

Agreed with @Ultra3142

Game build is exactly the same over generations. 

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

I bet for any kind of Controller issue.. try to update your Controller Device and after try to calibrate him again índice the game Controller options

• Like 1
4 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

If you always play at 60Hz, yes. 

If you change display on the same console or refresh rate on a capable display, see what happens.

You can't change frame rate rate on PS5 or PS4 though. It is always 60 Hz.

Edited by Ultra3142

Transitioned from PS4 slim to PS5 and have seen no difference at all in terms of how the game runs during gameplay. Load times are a lot better and have better graphics on par with the PS4 Pro where I came from the base model beforehand.  I have got quicker pace wise but personally think that’s mainly down to a new TV with lower input lag compared to before when I ran the game on PS4. 

I should perhaps add that I went from a base PS4 to PS5 but I'd not played the game for maybe a couple of months before doing so, and as such I can't really make a judgement re. lap times as I was too out of practice. I did try to do a quick comparison going between running the game on each console a couple of times and much as I wanted to be able to conclude that the game looked noticeably smoother on the PS5 I couldn't honestly say that it was. The game is obviously now running at higher resolution for me but the most noticeable/beneficial improvement has been faster loading times (I have the game installed on the PS5's SSD). I did time it once but can't remember the difference now. Up to something like 50% faster I think, so far from instantaneous but definitely a worthwhile improvement.

Edited by Ultra3142
1 minute ago, Ultra3142 said:

I should perhaps add that I went from a base PS4 to PS5 but I'd not played the game for maybe a couple of months before doing so, and as such I can't really make a judgement re. lap times as I was too out of practice. I did try to do a quick comparison going between running the game on each console a couple of times to compare and much as I wanted to be able to conclude that the game looked noticeably smoother on the PS5 I couldn't honestly say that it was. The game is obviously now running at higher resolution for me but the most noticeable/beneficial improvement has been faster loading times (I have the game installed on the PS5's SSD). I did time it once but can't remember the difference now. Up to something like 50% faster I think, so far from instantaneous but definitely a worthwhile improvement.

Yes, same here about faster loading times. To be precise I also didn't exactly check on the same track, I ended my GP Usa with PS4 and started Mexico with PS5 but I'm more or less at the same distance from WR in TT and the feeling is about the same.

I also had this issue, switching back to the ps4 controller fixed it for me.

The Ps5 Controller doesn't seem to react the same and even feels "slow" sometimes. Not sure how to describe it, but it's not reacting the way I want it to and I expect it to.