Jump to content Jump to content

2 hours ago, Ialyrn said:

You will probably find there are some licensing items involved in their decisions to consistently release the F1 games before all the content is ready to release. Which does suck, I would rather the game come out later in the year with everything included from day one; especially when tracks will be missing in this year at release. But it is what it is.

It's one of the reasons why I think I' dwait befoer jumping in assuming I decide I will.

are they going to add the setting where you can talk to Jeff via your headset when playing on Xbox Series X? where can you give suggestions to the developers? It would be cool if they can also add a setting where you can change the color of the visor on your helmet. 

6 hours ago, Ultra3142 said:

You weren't asking me but this was posted earlier in this thread:

Thanks for that. He appears to be saying that he can't say anything about the track layouts. Not confirmed at all. Things like updated track layouts will be for later info releases, that's my guess. Thursday was all about general hype about main features.

6 hours ago, s00zster said:

Thanks for that. He appears to be saying that he can't say anything about the track layouts. Not confirmed at all. Things like updated track layouts will be for later info releases, that's my guess. Thursday was all about general hype about main features.

FWIW my personal take on that post is that we're very unlikely to see the track changes in F1 2021. Time will tell.

On 4/16/2021 at 3:13 PM, Ultra3142 said:

Am I the only one not surprised the new tracks will come post-launch? That's what I was rather expecting and it's obviously a lot better than them being omitted. When they may get added will of course be important.

The alternative could have been to delay the entire game launch until they were ready. This way we can all choose what to do :classic_smile:.

Not at all sir, you’re just being realistic, which is a fine approach imo. We all know the game will have it’s flaws and bugs and some of them will be fixed over time. But given the time needed to create new tracks in the game and with some of them only been recently announced as replacements, it would be very optimistic to expect all new tracks to be ready at the launch. 

And I agree also that it’s important that the new tracks won’t added too late, like for instance with the F2 update on the 2020 game in late December, when not only the season was already over, but finally having 2020 cars when you’re almost in 2021 was a very poor choice in their planning to say the least and something I hope they have learned from.

On 4/16/2021 at 4:12 PM, Ialyrn said:

You will probably find there are some licensing items involved in their decisions to consistently release the F1 games before all the content is ready to release. Which does suck, I would rather the game come out later in the year with everything included from day one; especially when tracks will be missing in this year at release. But it is what it is.

This would not work anyway, see 2020 and all the circuits they never released. Would have been a great DLC to pay for though, "F1 2020 track pack" might have payed for it, if priced reasonably (and would still do, i am more likely to continue play F1 2020 than buy the new EA stuff).

It is actually surprising FIA allows to call this "official F1 game" if not all tracks are included. Sure, 2020 pandemic year was "special" but for future iterations they should at least include the tracks that are in the official FIA calendar way before a season starts. If later due to covid-19 restrictions tracks are being swapped IRL, it would be ideal to have a (payed?) DLC in autumn, so you can at least re-play IRL F1 during the winter season.

Edited by Schneehase

Many in here simply have wrong expectations when it comes to having all tracks included. In fact all tracks that where on the original F1 2021 calendar are included in the game. It is however due to circumstances that the calendar has recently changed and new circuits where added. Yet, still everyone expects those new tracks to be included immediately, while to make a track in an F1 game simply costs a lot of development time. The tracks we know right now that will be on the calendar will be added, but it takes time. And tracks that will possibly be added as replacements to the F1 calendar later this year should not be expected to be added to the game as well. It simply takes too much time to develop.

Sure if a track like Turkey will be added to the F1 calendar instead of for example Canada I’d love to race on it, but it’s just not a realistic expectation.

20 minutes ago, BarryB said:

while to make a track in an F1 game simply costs a lot of development time

How comes you know, are you from EA / codies staff 😄 ?

It might be so, but on the other hand this pays off several times, as you can re-use that data in upcoming releases (hardly will an F1 circuit only be driven once, they all have contracts for several years in advance and all of that is commonly known) and even if not, tracks like Imola and Kanada etc are classics that can well be released in a track DLC, where you regain a lot of the development costs. Also, these tracks do exist in other games and there might be the possibility to buy other (laser-scan) data to have something to start with. Should not be the problem for EA, should it.

10 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

How comes you know, are you from EA / codies staff 😄 ?

Codemasters staff have stated this on many other occasions that it takes a long time. Again, regardless of classic tracks (imola for example) they were made for a console that are now 2 generations old (assuming people have PS5/series x) so it would be more work to update that version then to start again. 

i have complete respect for all the staff at Codemasters and EA as they all work very hard to give the community the best game they can. Granted they aren’t always perfect but no game will ever be perfect either on release or by the end.

we have 3 months till release so they will be working extremely hard to make the game the best it can 

Edited by cpayne32
Spelling errors
  • Agree 2
12 minutes ago, cpayne32 said:

we have 3 months till release so they will be working extremely hard to make the game the best it can 

I will give you an example. The F1 game series has an annual re-release. It was announced today, that in 2022 the miami street circuit will be included in the f1 calendar (by F1 boss Mr Domenicali). So, there is roughly 1 year+ of time until the 2022 version of the game will be released. Do we agree that is enough time to implement a new circuit into a game?

I do find is somewhat strange when outsiders confidently state how something obviously makes commercial sense for Codemasters. Only they truly know their resources, the work involved, and have meaningful insight into the likely revenue from DLC. All we can sensibly do is discuss new features etc that we'd like to see but the rest really is up to them.

2 minutes ago, Ultra3142 said:

I do find is somewhat strange when outsiders confidently state how something obviously makes commercial sense for Codemasters. Only they truly know their resources, the work involved, and have meaningful insight into the likely revenue from DLC. All we can sensibly do is discuss new features etc that we'd like to see but the rest really is up to them.

100% agree, and the same is valid for how much effort it costs to implement new tracks.

12 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

I will give you an example. The F1 game series has an annual re-release. It was announced today, that in 2022 the miami street circuit will be included in the f1 calendar (by F1 boss Mr Domenicali). So, there is roughly 1 year+ of time until the 2022 version of the game will be released. Do we agree that is enough time to implement a new circuit into a game?

Absolutely agree. And with the layout announced they can start working on it once the track gets laser scanned

3 minutes ago, cpayne32 said:

Absolutely agree. And with the layout announced they can start working on it once the track gets laser scanned

Which may be the real problem under the pandemic as you need a team to be there doing the work. Not that in F1 2020 we had any laser scanned tracks though, correct me please if I should be mistaken.

Edited by Schneehase
1 minute ago, Schneehase said:

Which may be the real problem under the pandemic. Not that in F1 2020 we had any laser scanned tracks though, correct me please if I should be mistaken.

I believe they were but I can’t confirm/deny it as I don’t have this information. 

2 hours ago, Schneehase said:

This would not work anyway, see 2020 and all the circuits they never released. Would have been a great DLC to pay for though, "F1 2020 track pack" might have payed for it, if priced reasonably (and would still do, i am more likely to continue play F1 2020 than buy the new EA stuff).

It is actually surprising FIA allows to call this "official F1 game" if not all tracks are included. Sure, 2020 pandemic year was "special" but for future iterations they should at least include the tracks that are in the official FIA calendar way before a season starts. If later due to covid-19 restrictions tracks are being swapped IRL, it would be ideal to have a (payed?) DLC in autumn, so you can at least re-play IRL F1 during the winter season.

Which track of the official pre-season calender for 2020 isn't included in the game?

9 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

Which may be the real problem under the pandemic as you need a team to be there doing the work. Not that in F1 2020 we had any laser scanned tracks though, correct me please if I should be mistaken.

Zandvoort was laser scanned, was the first laser scanned track in an F1 series game. I believe it was because of the pandemic that they decided to acquire the laser data from the local authorities. Hopefully they'll be able to do this for Imola and Portimao too, especially if it means taking off a chunk of development time. According to Codies, a newly developed circuit takes around 1 year of man hours, so I'm not surprised me that a few new circuits will be late. I'm just happy we're getting them at all and for no extra cost.

Just now, Lakrits said:

You didn't read my question.

I thought you meant the updated calendar. From what I remember Australia, Monaco, Canada, Germany, Vietnam, China, Netherlands, Azerbaijan, France, Singapore, Japan, USA, Mexico, brazil

F1 2020 was an oddball year, unexpected circumstancies that caused the pre season calander to be changed entirely after the pandemic picked up steam and shut sporting events down world wide. It was something done off the cuff to still give as full an F1 season as possible. It should be accepted that the F1 2020 game is fine how it was in that regard, without the later included tracks been in the game. I know I was and still am ok with that fact.

With regards to F1 2021, any tracks annouced pre season should be in the game at release. If some of those tracks are missing at release, the game should be released later in the year to allow appropriate development time. F1 2021 isnt in the same boat (currently) as F1 2020 was. Too many video games these days release in an uncompleted state, and its becoming annoying. Its the bane of video game existence at this point. I would prefer to buy the F1 game in November/December if it meant all the content was available day one. (to be clear, I am not talking about DLC contant that is created after the fact, or out right expansion packs that massivly increase gameplay potential. I am talking specifically about the core content a game is suppose to have from the outset. No game should release without that core content)

Any tracks that get potentially slotted in between now and the end of the current F1 season, should be left out of the game entriely like with last years title; as it is just not possible to build a track in anywhere less than 9 months as a bare minimum. And that becomes even harder todo with pandemic travel restrictions in place.

I am going to give Codemasters a semi-pass this year, purely due to the fact travel is still fairly restricted; and we are still in the grasp of the pandemic. But as customers, it is no wrong or misplaced for all of us to expect better practices in the future when it comes to the core content a game should have. Especially when it relates to real world sporting events and a circuit/stage calander for a racing game.

2 minutes ago, cpayne32 said:

I thought you meant the updated calendar. From what I remember Australia, Monaco, Canada, Germany, Vietnam, China, Netherlands, Azerbaijan, France, Singapore, Japan, USA, Mexico, brazil

My point is, I asked Schneehase which of the tracks that were on the original pre-season calendar that weren't in the game since I got the impression he ment not all tracks were. I apologise for that, it was I who hadn't read correctly since he ment for future versions of the game.

Still, there have been so many on this forum that's demanded all the actual tracks from the previous season not knowing the amount of work that means. I also think that all tracks should be in the game when it releases but I also know there's a lot of work behind getting them in. Normally a calendar is known well before the season starts, this year it hasn't been so the time is much shorter for the team to finish the work. I rather prefer the new tracks to come in later than not at all.

• Agree 1